What's new

Keeping your cartridge razor?

I kept my old carts (Mach 3) in a drawer for just over a year - figured I'd used them when in a hurry or traveling. But after a year of zero use they got tossed in the trash. Thing is, when you get "good" at DE shaving it's no slower than with a cart - I face lather soap and that takes less than 30 seconds. Then a quick 2 pass shave is just as fast as with a cart once your technique gets good. When I travel I bring my equipment minus the blades and then just stop at a drugstore on location for blades. Even the most garbage DE blades are better than carts IMHO.

I have several Trac II handles, and about 120 cartridges for the Trac II. I enjoy shaving with my Trac II, and it gives me a shave every bit as good as my Double Edge Razors do. With somewhat less fuss too.

I also have 3 Schick Injectors; they also provide me with a shave just as good as my DE Razors, but with a ton less fuss.

The double edge razor is not the end all be all of shaving. :biggrin1:

Agreed, but to paraphrase what you are saying - "shaving with a single edge IS the end all be all of shaving." :biggrin1:

I keep my old M3 in my Dopp bag until I sort out my DE travel kit. Since I usually travel with cased gear for work, I'm figuring on putting my blades in with the cargo for now. - maybe AOS should look into mini stores in airports!

Also, I used the M3 to shave my head when I was short on time the other morning. The shave was sub-par, I had stubble by mid-morning.

I'm actually faster with a DE on my face (fewer passes), so no M3 there! :thumbup:

I've even considered getting rid of my DE, now that I use straights. If I travel, I'll just put a cheap straight in my checked luggage.

I keep my carts around just in case I miss having red bumps on my neck and miss seeing gross bacteria stuck between the blades.
I haven't touched them in over a year. I'm thinking about putting them in the recycling bin so they can be put to some good use one day.
If the guys at the gym see you using a DE or a straight, they will be impressed and won't towel whip you anymore.

Last edited:
Hadn't used a cartridge razor in two years or canned cream in four until last November. Then I went to NYC to work for two weeks after the storm. Tap water at our location wasn't safe to drink and a shower trailer with water supply took about days to arrive. With lines for the showers limited hot water, wet shaving wasn't a feasible option. I did happen to have one of the best shaves that I remember on my first day home though.

I plan to just keep all of my carts left for just in case purposes. I think I've fallen in love with DESR and will consider getting another one just for my travel gear.

Anyone use those travel Gillette Techs with the short handle?

My shave kit still has the Sensor Excel, Mach3, and Fusion handles in it, but no carts. They take up essentially no room, so I just leave them there as a backup in case I for some reason have no access to DE blades.

I haven't owned a cartridge razor or canned shaving cream in two years. As far as a travel razor goes, I use a Gillette post-war tech. They are cheap and easily replaceable.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
not I, no cartridge razor anywhere to be found. I quit buying cartridges when i couldn't afford them and moved to disposables. Then started DE shaving from there. cartridge razors are history in my books. never again.

When I started wetshaving early this year, I continued using my cartridge razor for quite a long time before buying a DE. Right now I'm still keeping the cartridge razor in my travel kit. It's a Sensor Excel and does a decent job, I think. To tell you the truth, I was getting a better shave with this razor using only two passes than I was getting with three passes with Derby blades in my DE.

I have an Atra handle that I have had for years. It somehow survived various purges when I went through several attempts with electrics, Mach III, etc. It has become my go to travel razor when flying. I pack light, almost never check a bag. The Atra is the perfect travel razor for me. YMMV

Still keep them for shorter trips when I only have a carry on bad. I will not check in a bag just to bring my DE.

With 6 DEs' to choose from, I can't see why.
Nostalgia maybe or sometime in the future I may wish to experience what cartridges were about. Mind you, how many super speed users threw their razors away after switching to cartridges! Makes you think! Not for long though!:biggrin1:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I haven't tossed any, but they don't get used much. I keep a Schick hydro 3 for occasional use, but I haven't bought any refills in nearly 3 years. The single remaining cartridge that is in my medicine cabinet has at least 30 shaves on it.

I get an excellent shave from a Gillette Sensor. I carry it, or one of several good disposables for travel.

Top Bottom