• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Good to see it's working out well. This may be useless info to you, but when I started using the Karve I was used to riding the cap with all my razors, and initially I found the shave a bit rough. Then I tried a steep angle (i.e riding the comb) and it got much smoother. That applied with my OC-B, C, and D plates.
I used to shave riding the cap always and then tried a steep angle and never went back. Riding the guard feels the smoothest for me.

The Steep Angle Shavers Alliance (SASA) rocks! :punk:

Can't say I've paid great attention recently to what my preferred angle is but I'd say I'm somewhere between riding the guard and riding the cap.

Guess I'm a member of the median angle shave club? I tried both steep and shallow as demonstrated in the SASA thread and prefer the middle - it just feels "right" on my face.

All that being said - I went back to the SB-C today and it's a nice shave, but I find I much prefer the OC-B.

However, I realize that both of my shaves with the SB have been with fresh blades (I typically use my blades three times and toss) so I'll try it again tomorrow with the 2nd shave on the blade but based on my first four shaves my guess is the OC-B will stay on the Karve most of the time.

After watching the info-mercial created in my own head during a sleepless night last week (induced by this forum), I placed an order for a brass Karve 3.25 original head and OC C plate. I didn't have the nerve to try to explain to my wife about testing several heads when I barely understand that myself.

Here's hoping I picked the right one. I'll likely never know better. I expect it to arrive early this week.

UPDATE .... Tried the Karve SB D and E plates, but still couldn’t get the shave I get with the Timeless .95. I tried, but couldn’t quite get there.
-Bill

^
In what way are you not getting an optimal shave out of the D and E? Between the two, which is closer to what you want?

I think the D was close to the Timeless. I’ve never tried any open combs on the Karve. Karve’s just a little more economical, and I like supporting local Canadian artisans.

Hey. I’ve got a question. Karve’s a little slow with the email etc.
How are Karve stocked up with SS, non polished razors?
is there a long waiting list any more?
thanks lads

ww

Hey. I’ve got a question. Karve’s a little slow with the email etc.
How are Karve stocked up with SS, non polished razors?
is there a long waiting list any more?
thanks lads

ww
It looks like WCS has the SS in stock in SB and OC with B, C, D, & E plate...

1612383885993.png

Most of this thread is people blowing gaskets over the delivery delays. I was fortunate that way. Made an order on Thursday night, had it arrive on my doorstep the following Tuesday (lucky me to already live in the Candian prairies). That's a brass though - it may not figure into SS availability.

The razor gets its maiden speech tomorrow morning. Here are my initial thoughts on receipt.

The negatives first: 1) It is HEAVY. I may well get used to this and grow to love it. What did I expect with solid brass? Still surprised me. I am so new at safety razor shaving that I am fully expecting to not mind, we'll see.

2) the threaded rod connecting the plate to the handle is overkill long. It takes me a FULL five seconds to wind it up as fast as I can. That's good solid construction of course, and the quality is very apparent on this razor, but threading takes five times as long as my vintage Tech. (The other extreme is worse of course. I rejected another Tech from the antique store because the bolt was so short, it barely held.). On this detail, I will easily convince myself that threading the handle is a daily "zen" experience to be savoured.

The positives: 1) Immaculate construction, no visible machining defects, perfect tight fit, very attractive. I like brass. Half the price of SS.

But of course, the only thing that REALLY matters is if my whiskers surrender at the mere sight of it, as others here have testified. We'll see soon!

One more detail. Personal hand-written note from the builder is a really great touch. Although, I'm getting really tired of being told to "stay safe". I want people to start saying "Live life to the fullest" to me instead. Or, "Karve diem!" to use the Latin.

Very happy with the Karve's first outing. In fact, this is easily the best shave I've had in my short career. It is comfortable like the my Gillette post-war Tech, but more effective. I wondered at first about the weight, but I do like it. I've never had a near-perfect BBS shave before, but I worked for it with 3 passes and touch-up, and also paid for it (a good post shave alum block sting all over). I expect I'll learn how to get similar results without the burn in time. I had a used Kai blade in there, and the extra width of the blade may be a factor in assessing the suitability of the open comb C plate.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Can't say I've paid great attention recently to what my preferred angle is but I'd say I'm somewhere between riding the guard and riding the cap.

Guess I'm a member of the median angle shave club? I tried both steep and shallow as demonstrated in the SASA thread and prefer the middle - it just feels "right" on my face.

All that being said - I went back to the SB-C today and it's a nice shave, but I find I much prefer the OC-B.

However, I realize that both of my shaves with the SB have been with fresh blades (I typically use my blades three times and toss) so I'll try it again tomorrow with the 2nd shave on the blade but based on my first four shaves my guess is the OC-B will stay on the Karve most of the time.

The OC-C and SB-D plates for me. :)

Top Bottom