What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I first bought my brass Karve with the B&C SB plates. Started with the C plate and never used the B plate. I then ordered the C plate in OC and loved it. I found that the teeth allowed lather to flow through, so going over the same spot more than once kept lather there without having to re-lather.

I don't find the OC to be a whole letter stronger than the SB. More like half a letter. For the small price I would encourage you to order the OC plate in C. My two favorite plates now are the SB & OC in D.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210106.jpg

Razor: Karve Brass SB-D (Widebody Brass cap)
Blade: Silver Star (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Post-shave: Clubman Osage Rub
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

The Karve Brass SB-D takes the efficiency up a half notch over the OC-C. The Widebody Cap covers the blade tabs and allows easier touch-ups around my nose and earlobes.

Yes that's another option, can I ask which SB plates you use? C or D are looking the most appealing to me since I use the Rockwell 6C R6 and the GC 0.84-P
I have the GC 0.84-P too and I use the Karve Brass SB plate D (there's a plate F in-waiting-I bought the razor & both plates from a member in another forum).
I find the shave is rather similar for both razors. Shaved with GC 0.84-P yesterday and the Karve this morning...both were 10/10 rating with the GSB blade!!
For me...the blade choice is the most important for both razors...and YMMV. I tried a KAI blade with both razors and it was not comfortable and was tuggy..hahaha 😀 the same blade in the EJ D89L was nice and smooth instead😆
I have the 3in handle and I find it to be very good length...being similar to vintage Gillette razors.
I am very happy and satisfied with it and I don't need any further razors. Except for quality blades...😁

20201215_100158.jpg
20210107_090756.jpg

I have the GC 0.84-P too and I use the Karve Brass SB plate D (there's a plate F in-waiting-I bought the razor & both plates from a member in another forum).
I find the shave is rather similar for both razors. Shaved with GC 0.84-P yesterday and the Karve this morning...both were 10/10 rating with the GSB blade!!
For me...the blade choice is the most important for both razors...and YMMV. I tried a KAI blade with both razors and it was not comfortable and was tuggy..hahaha 😀 the same blade in the EJ D89L was nice and smooth instead😆
I have the 3in handle and I find it to be very good length...being similar to vintage Gillette razors.
I am very happy and satisfied with it and I don't need any further razors. Except for quality blades...😁

View attachment 1205257 View attachment 1205258
Thx for the reply, got my order in went with the 3.25 handle and D plate but its probably going to take a while since overseas shipping is a pain these days, totally agree on blade choice, in the GC 0.84-P Polsilver, Nacet and perma sharps seem to work best for me, and got a pack of gillette platinums which I still need to try

Karve is a top dog in my den, the B SB gets me a BBS with zero irritation.

As the 5 o'clock shadow is visible fairly quickly I have picked the D SB as well, it's the perfect plate but a little angle sensitive for me, I am still learning on how to use it as I get some weepers due to using the razor at a bad angle, I can't seem to get the angle right on my neck :(

I have the stainless Karve with SB plates from #C to #G. Has the 3.5" handle.
Used all the plates. Like the #E and #F plates, and the #G is fine too.
I have sort of settled on the #F plate as my daily driver. Mainly use PPI, Feathers, and Kai blades.
The #C, and #D plates are a tad too mild for me, but I can see others might enjoy them.
I had a Wolfman WR2 with the 1.15 DC baseplate (OC/SB). The Karve with #E plate outperformed it.
Sold the WR2, kept the Karve. That says it all really!
Have a stainless, polished Timeless with .68 OC. It's a better razor (a .95 OC plate incoming soon too).
By better, I mean the finish is great (polished), and when I had a .95 OC previously it shaved closer than the Karve #F plate.
If the Karve was polished it would be the icing on the cake for me...I like shiny!
I can polish it myself as have all the polishing wheels and also a Dremel if needed. I'm just lazy...will do it one day though.
The brass Karve never interested me as I'm not into 'patina' but they do like nice when kept polished.
Agree about the consistent shaves. One of my other razors is the Piccolo OC. Shaves nice and smooth, but the Karve beats that too.
I never bought any Karve OC plates as the Timeless (and Piccolo) supply any toothy goodness I require.

Do you do a full face daily shave or do you have facial hair like a goatie?

Tried the F plate today with the same excellent GSB blade (3). While the shave was very smooth and comfortable for all passes (wtg, xtg & atg)...atg around the chin and lips requires extra attention...final result, somehow yesterday's D plate is more efficient. Perhaps I am too tentative due to more blade feel...
20210108_092447.jpg

I got the Karve brass back in 2019 and it became one of my most favorite razors after just a few uses!

I used B, C, D, E, F, C/OC, D/OC. The D plate is the one I kept, delivering a very close shave with a high level of comfort but in hindsight I should have kept the C plate too.

The only one down side I find is the Karve is sensitive to angle and I really need to ride the cap to maintain the smoothness.

I was lucky enough to grab a Karve aluminium in a trade with B & C plates.

Most of my other razors are SS so I was never drawn to the Karve SS. Both the brass and aluminium will remain a part of my den forever!!

Tried the F plate today with the same excellent GSB blade (3). While the shave was very smooth and comfortable for all passes (wtg, xtg & atg)...atg around the chin and lips requires extra attention...final result, somehow yesterday's D plate is more efficient. Perhaps I am too tentative due to more blade feel...
View attachment 1205689
Nice stand! Is it really a razor stand or a refurbished brass nut ?

Hey, thanks! It just a normal brass nut. Polished it a bit...added some duct tape inside to prevent scratches and that's all...

I love it! Looks like there are multiple pieces. Any chance you could provide details or links? I’d love to make a few of these but don’t know where to start.

I love it! Looks like there are multiple pieces. Any chance you could provide details or links? I’d love to make a few of these but don’t know where to start.
Okay.....I am happy to assist with these pictures. I get these from my local hardware store. I just went in and ask for brass nuts and was shown to multiple trays for me to choose from. I actually brought the Karve handle with me to ensure fit... 😀 so kinda mix and match...
Just with the 1 piece nut is not sufficient to hold the razor weight and it will topple so I added something like an adaptor (see pics).
I added a small piece of duct tape because for the Karve handle nut, there's threading inside while for the GEM razor is it smooth so no need. With that small piece of tape inside...whenever I insert the Karve handle in...it's like some cushion and feels better...otherwise, with the treadings, it feels damaging...hahahaha😁. I hope this can be of help to you...
20210109_133146.jpg

20210109_133233.jpg

20210109_134909.jpg

Top Bottom