What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Which Karve has the most similar blade feel to the GC.84P in your opinion. Technically it should be the Karve C as far as I understoos since it's 0.85mm gap which is almost identical. But I'm looking for a plate that has no blade(or almost) feel which I here is the B plate
The C plate is milder than the .84P. I think the Karve D is closer. The Karve D and GC .84P both offer quite smooth shaves and good efficiency. They are both blade forward, but without extreme blade feel. But that could just be me. I find the Muhle R41 very smooth and efficient.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I know there are multiple threads comparing Razorock Gamechanger and Karve but they're general and none of them specifically compare Karve B plate(0.73mm)safety bar with the GC. 84P safety Bar. So for those of you who have experience with specifically these 2 which 1 do you prefer??

In my opinion, the Karve SB-D is probably the closest to the RR GC84-P.

Haven't tried my D plate yet, but both the B and C were certainly smoother for me than the G.C. .84. I have gotten my closest and least irritation shaves to date with both the Karve B and C plates. I no longer have my .84 G.C. but do have the .68, I can easily see myself buying another .84 though.

Haven't tried my D plate yet, but both the B and C were certainly smoother for me than the G.C. .84. I have gotten my closest and least irritation shaves to date with both the Karve B and C plates. I no longer have my .84 G.C. but do have the .68, I can easily see myself buying another .84 though.
Interesting. Is the difference in efficiency considerable between the B and C plate??

Interesting. Is the difference in efficiency considerable between the B and C plate??
I don't know if it's considerable, but I'd say it is certainly noticeable. I could feel the difference in blade feel for sure, but it was still very smooth, I just had to ensure I used less pressure with the C plate(or maybe more pressure with the B/more passes to gain the same amount of hair removal?).

Only 1 shave with the C plate, and only 3 with the B so it's still initial impressions bit I think I could shave with either plate every day or every other day.

I already have the GC .84P. It's by far my number 1 razor. The only thing that I have lately been wondering is what it would be like to have that same unbelievable smoothness but with no blade feel which as far as I understand is what the Karve B plate offers(Also the RR GC .68 but i wonder if that might be a bit too mild and inefficient)

I have the karve b plate and the gc.68 and the Gamechanger is both smoother and more efficient in my opinion. Ymmv of course.

Which Karve has the most similar blade feel to the GC.84P in your opinion. Technically it should be the Karve C as far as I understoos since it's 0.85mm gap which is almost identical. But I'm looking for a plate that has no blade(or almost) feel which I here is the B plate

The Karve D feels most similar to the GC .84 to me.

The karve b plate has negative exposure iirc. It will feel waaaaaay less efficient than a gc84.

like others said, the D plate feels similar to the gc84. Both are good.

I’ve seen 2 polished. One was from the fella on YouTub. That’s it. Now theres been a delay because of micro scratches because of light in the shop. Think about that for a minute. The YouTube fellow also mentioned something about polishing his own. However I do want Karve to survive.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
They enclosed a one page single spaced typed letter warning about micro scratches and difficulty in polishing it.

If nothing else, it makes the "other" Alberta Company's polished razor look that much more desirable.

I hope he chalks this up under "hard lessons" and goes back to his staples.

Does anyone by chance know the Blade exposure on the GC.84P?? I know Karve C has almost the same blade Gap and .09mm positive blade exposure now all I need is the GC one to compare but I can't seem to find it anywhere

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been recently testing the Kai SS blade with my milder razors and I slipped one in the Game changer .84 and I will say it gave me a great shave. The Kai SS is .009 thousands of a inch wider than a standard blade so .0045 thousands per side of pure blade exposure is a lot IMO. So if you want to bump your razors up a notch you can do it with just a blade to experiment if you want a little more blade feel or efficiency. My earlier testing with the Razorock GC.84 indicated neutral to slightly positive blade exposure right out of the box some one was mentioning how much blade exposure. I have two methods of testing blade exposure, one with USB microscope and 2nd method with a specially altered razor blade.

Top Bottom