What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I can’t really help, as I enjoy daily shaves. I haven’t gone more than 48 hours without a shave for many years.

I can add my perspective of the SE2, however, which is one of my more “aggressive” (or, in my parlance, “blade-forward”) razors. My Karve with an F plate, both the SB and OC versions, is much more face-friendly in my daily shaves than the SE2.

I suspect your issue with frequent shaving has more to do with software than hardware. I use a great pre-shave (Grooming Dept), soap or cream, and aftershave every shave. As a daily shaver, when I get up in the morning, I rub my face and think, “I don’t really need to shave, but I’m going to because I want to.” Over the years, I’ve reduced my shave irritation to nothing, regardless of the razor or blade I use, because (I suspect) I’m paying more attention to my skin than my hardware.

But, who knows? Just some thoughts as I watch the Mariners lose again while sitting in an airport bar...

And how much is a Wolfman or a Charcoal stainless? An ATT? A Blackland? If we follow through on your logic what should really be happening is Chris should be charging much more for the brass CB. We should acknowledge that those of us who picked up the brass razor received an excellent deal given the quality, workmanship and performance of the Karve. I would have gladly paid more.

And, ultimately, as Bakker suggests, the market will decide if the stainless is overpriced.
This has nothing to do with Wolfman, Blackland, or ATT... I used Blackland and CG as an example of costs being very similar between brass and stainless was all I used them for... This is about the SS Karve razor. Maybe Chris should charge more for the brass, but in charging prices that have been estimated so far for the SS, its not in line with what it should be. The cost between mfg'g a brass or stainless razor is very minimal and usually within a couple bucks, not $100 more... That is just price gouging!! If you want to overpay for an item, have at it!! I said my peace on it so I'll drop it there...

I don't have any Karve yet so can't comment but I agree with the post above that you really should try Rockwell 6C and see if one of the plates work for you. If your real problem is that you are trying to avoid razorburn and irritation then you really should try Timeless Ti .68 SB. Yes it is not cheap but you can easily return it if it does not work. For me it could be the only razor I need.

For the record, I have a Rockwell 6S. I used it exclusively for about a year and a half until I got my Karve. I went back and forth for about a month. My 6S has been gathering dust since. I still think it's a fine razor and I recommend it often. For me, the Karve just works better.

I'll just have to pick some mild Karve plates and shave often until I figure out how to shave for my type of whiskers and skin. I just thought someone might relate to this weird problem. Shaving is such a YMMV. Oh, well.

Personally, I think you are going about it completely backwards. I don’t think mild is the way you should be going if you just want a one pass shave without sharp stubble all about the place. I think you need to stop monkeying around and get the F open comb plate for your Karve. Better yet, get a Feather Artist Club Kami.

I’m not joking or being facetious. Think about this, you’ve been going mild and not getting what you want. Try going aggressive. The Feather would work great! You need something that guts close because all stubble is sharp stubble short of it being burnt... and that’s no fun at all.

Some guys prefer a mild razor with an aggressive blade, and that’s cool. But I think you need super aggressive razor with perhaps a milder blade to start. You need something that “mows closer.”

That’s my 2 cents. Good luck!

I can concur with @Earcutter about going aggressive if you want fewer passes.
My experience with the rockwell was to use the lower plates, 2 or 3, and when i bought my Karve, i chose A(OC), B & C (SB) thinking i wanted the same type of shaves. After a few weeks, i then bought both D plates and love these.
I find the Karve does not leave a few patches on my neck red, like the Rockwell does (on any plate). My typical shaving style is 1 pass WTG and 1 pass ATG, slight touchups on chin if needed.

This being said, today marked the first of 5 consecutive days where i'll be sticking with the A plate for the week. After this, i'll decide if it'll be put up for sale.

Personally, I think you are going about it completely backwards. I don’t think mild is the way you should be going if you just want a one pass shave without sharp stubble all about the place. I think you need to stop monkeying around and get the F open comb plate for your Karve. Better yet, get a Feather Artist Club Kami.

I’m not joking or being facetious. Think about this, you’ve been going mild and not getting what you want. Try going aggressive. The Feather would work great! You need something that guts close because all stubble is sharp stubble short of it being burnt... and that’s no fun at all.

Some guys prefer a mild razor with an aggressive blade, and that’s cool. But I think you need super aggressive razor with perhaps a milder blade to start. You need something that “mows closer.”

That’s my 2 cents. Good luck!

I didn't say I wanted a one pass shave; I said I tried it. I have an ATT SE2 that I use frequently. Aggressive enough? I think it mows close enough. I don't think there's anything that mows much closer.

All stubble is sharp? No, I strongly disagree. I have done a one pass shave with my SE2, shaving with the grain. I am left with whiskers that catch horribly on any collar or clothing that rubs up against it. I can make the skin on the back of my hand red and raw by rubbing it against the grain a couple of times. This does not happen with the whiskers growing out at any point after a good, close shave. If this does not happen to you, then good for you. I wish it didn't happen to me, but it does.

For the record (since I didn't specifically state this in my original post), I also cannot shave against the grain after a day or two of growth. If I try that on a one pass, I get very bad razor burn. If I do it on the second pass, it's not as bad but still significantly there.

So maybe it would be better to ask the people that own a Karve razor, have sensitive skin, and need to shave daily: What plate do you use without getting irritation or razor burn?

I didn't say I wanted a one pass shave; I said I tried it. I have an ATT SE2 that I use frequently. Aggressive enough? I think it mows close enough. I don't think there's anything that mows much closer.

All stubble is sharp? No, I strongly disagree. I have done a one pass shave with my SE2, shaving with the grain. I am left with whiskers that catch horribly on any collar or clothing that rubs up against it. I can make the skin on the back of my hand red and raw by rubbing it against the grain a couple of times. This does not happen with the whiskers growing out at any point after a good, close shave. If this does not happen to you, then good for you. I wish it didn't happen to me, but it does.

For the record (since I didn't specifically state this in my original post), I also cannot shave against the grain after a day or two of growth. If I try that on a one pass, I get very bad razor burn. If I do it on the second pass, it's not as bad but still significantly there.

So maybe it would be better to ask the people that own a Karve razor, have sensitive skin, and need to shave daily: What plate do you use without getting irritation or razor burn?
Ouch!

Ok well, with respect to your more direct question, “So maybe it would be better to ask the people that own a Karve razor, have sensitive skin, and need to shave daily: What plate do you use without getting irritation or razor burn?”

I have what I believe is sensitive skin, use a Karve, and have shaved with it daily.

I find the F open comb the most comfortable. Especially if I’m only doing a single pass.

You don’t have to like the answer, but try to respect it.

I now have a Karve and have tried the D and B OC razors. both were fantastic and I was surprised that the B plate gave me BBS with very little effort or irritation. I guess I would say I have moderately sensitive skin and I shave every day, just for comparison's sake.

Now about the sharp whiskers. I'm guessing that the sharpness would be enhanced if you only shave with the grain. If your whiskers are laying down then you will cut them at the same angle as a syringe. To keep them from being sharp you would need to cut them while they are standing straight, so that the cut cross section is as circular as possible. To do this I would think the best approach would be to go against the grain while stretching your skin. And use a straight bar baseplate and not an open comb.

So I would try an SB B plate and go against the grain.

And for God's sake, let's not start threatening to use electric razors. I remember those dark days and it was murder on my skin.

JWK1,

I have been fooling around with my Karve since I first got a prototype OC C plate but, perhaps I'll give a slightly different take.

I shave every day n I've rarely gone more than 2 days without a shave.
A SB B is a smooth mild shave and the OC C is smooth but closer to a d in aggressiveness.

Here's the difference I found that changed things for me and my Karve. I started using BICs instead of my usual Nacets or feathers. For the first time I could use my GC84 and Karve OC C with zero issues.

I'm not sure what blades you've tried but I'm a firm believer in the right combo rather than just the blades or razor doing most of the work.
The BICs let me shave with a fairly aggressive razor like a mild one.

Here's hoping you find the right combo and shaving daily rather than every 3 to 4 days will reduce the needle hairs.

Cheers and happy shaves,

Mawashi

Agreed. I'm only two shaves in with my Karve, but I have a feeling that with the right plate and the right blade this razor will do what you want it to do. I'm very impressed with it.

I don't want to derail the thread since I don't have Karve razor but I have sensitive skin and short stiff facial hair so I used to shave every other day but for a past around 2 weeks I shave every around 36 hours. For a past 5 months I have tried many different razors, vintage and modern, looking for the one which will give me close shave and so when you are done and check your skin ATG you don't feel sharp edges. With several razors I was getting closer shave but with razorburn and irritation while others gave no irritation but sharp edge feel was here. While my RAD is not over yet, have 2 more razors to try, i finally found 2 which gives me what I want. First is Timeless Ti .68 SB and the second is Razorock GC .68-p. While I'm very interested to try Karve I'm not buying it only will try if I will be able to trade what I don't need to get it

I have sensitive skin and don't enjoy the blade feel of the C plate. I mitigate that slightly riding the safety bar and not the cap (like I usually do with other razors). The C plate has positive 0.001 of blade exposure. All plates below that have negative exposure. I don't have them yet but I would start with a B and then an A. I would not go with the OC. A very mild open comb that also has negative blade exposure is any Merkur open comb.

Mildly sensitive skin, shave pretty much every day; Karve with a C SB is a 2 pass BBS pretty much every time.

I’m around 30 hours in and might skip today, asked my wife what she thought and she said there’s no need.

I’m amazed by this razor. It’s pretty much taken away the need for a daily shave. I could if I wanted to, and there’d be no irritation if I did, but hey, no worries.

I now have a Karve and have tried the D and B OC razors. both were fantastic and I was surprised that the B plate gave me BBS with very little effort or irritation. I guess I would say I have moderately sensitive skin and I shave every day, just for comparison's sake.

Now about the sharp whiskers. I'm guessing that the sharpness would be enhanced if you only shave with the grain. If your whiskers are laying down then you will cut them at the same angle as a syringe. To keep them from being sharp you would need to cut them while they are standing straight, so that the cut cross section is as circular as possible. To do this I would think the best approach would be to go against the grain while stretching your skin. And use a straight bar baseplate and not an open comb.

So I would try an SB B plate and go against the grain.

And for God's sake, let's not start threatening to use electric razors. I remember those dark days and it was murder on my skin.

This is cool to hear man. I’m glad you’re digging it.

For the record, the B OC is supposedly about the same as the C SB, so we’re getting around the same shave.

I too was surprised at how close it got so fast; for me the BBS lasts a lot longer than it does with other razors too. Just a fantastic piece of gear.

EDIT: I’ve used a few different blades in this; Gillette Super Max Blue Diamond and a 7 O’Clock Black, and Derby Premium. It loves them all, haven’t found a blade yet I can’t get a great shave with out of this razor.

I’m really starting to think about PIFing my other stuff and just picking up a SS Karve for a travel razor and having those be all I use.

Last edited:
I’ve been shaving for a little over 35 years and most of that time was with an electric razor. When I started wet shaving I noticed how much sharper my whiskers were when they grew out versus when they grew out after an electric shave. After seeing micron microscope pictures of whiskers cut with a blade vs an electric razor I realized why.

While not the same I experienced something similar when I purchased the Razorock Stealth Slant. When whisker growth came back it felt much sharper then when I shaved with a none slant blade. I have no proof but believe it’s similar to what you have going on and it’s like it was putting a point on the whisker instead of a straight across cut. I always got irritation with the slant so stopped using it but when I would try it again I would notice the outgrowth was always sharper.

Do you think going with an aggressive razor (plate) for your WTG pass followed by a mild razor (plate) ATG with a super light touch just to try taking that sharpened point off the whisker would work? Could try with your 6s. I have a Karve but only one plate (c).

Via FB, the Stainless Steel is imminent.

"Top caps and SB plates are well underway and handles are close behind. All that’s left is to set up my lathe to cut the guilloche into the handle bodies and every part will be in full production!"

This has nothing to do with Wolfman, Blackland, or ATT... I used Blackland and CG as an example of costs being very similar between brass and stainless was all I used them for... This is about the SS Karve razor. Maybe Chris should charge more for the brass, but in charging prices that have been estimated so far for the SS, its not in line with what it should be. The cost between mfg'g a brass or stainless razor is very minimal and usually within a couple bucks, not $100 more... That is just price gouging!! If you want to overpay for an item, have at it!! I said my peace on it so I'll drop it there...

I just bought a new bait-casting reel and realized how badly we’ve been getting fleeced on razors. The workmanship and precision involved for the price has opened my eyes to the rip-off that high end razors are.

Top Bottom