What's new

Kanzy K100 £6.99 Razor

A lot of people recommend the EJ DE89 razor to newcomers, but I am not one of them. I found it difficult to find the correct shave angle to give a close shave without nicks and irritation. After learning the proper angle for using the razor, it works just fine. I just do not see it as a forgiving razor for a newcomer.

Exactly my experience. I have found that the EJ Ebony Short-Handled razor to be a bit better at finding the correct shaving angle. Once I used the Ebony for several shaves, I was able to get a better shave with the EJ DE89L (lined handle).

View attachment 781159
^^ Kanzi baseplate on the left & common English tech on right & same razors below
View attachment 781160

I received the BT171 recently and your post inspired me as I noticed just how similar it is to the English Tech, so I pulled mine out, along with my BT191 which has the same head as the Kanzi/Baili being discussed.

Have a look at just how much the English Tech "inspired" the Baili BT171 design:

CapAndBase.jpg
Overhead.jpg
Side.jpg

The BT171 baseplate is a bit thinner than the Tech's, but all of the parts are interchangeable between the two. I even was able to fit the longer BD191/BD176 cap onto the English Tech baseplate and hold it all together with the BT171 handle for a fun FrankenRazor which looks like it might just shave pretty well and it even gives you the benefit of covering up the blade tabs.
I shaved with the BT171 this morning and it's definitely more aggressive than the thicker BD191/BD176 head. I'd put it more in the range of a Pre-War Canadian Tech for aggression. It's actually fantastic, and the thinness of the head makes getting under the nostrils a breeze, but I really like the thicker head of my BD191 as well. Baili is really making some great razors in my opinion.

Here's the Frankenrazor: BD191 cap, English Tech baseplate, and a BT171 handle:

Franken1.jpg
Franken2.jpg

Update: my FrankenRazor is a fail. Even though it looks like it should shave, the blade barely makes contact with the skin. The Tech/BT171 mix and match definitely works though.

Last edited:
received the BT171 recently and your post inspired me as I noticed just how similar it is to the English Tech, so I pulled mine out, along with my BT191 which has the same head as the Kanzi/Baili being discussed.

The chinese made razors in the last year or 2 are definitely better they was in the past, i haven't tried the BT171 but i have tried older tech clones from china they had some blade alignment issues, i think with these baili razors they stepped up their quality control.

Update: my FrankenRazor is a fail. Even though it looks like it should shave, the blade barely makes contact with the skin. The Tech/BT171 mix and match definitely works though.

Oh thats a shame that sounded like a good mix on paper.

Good experiment. :)
Try the top cap from the BT191 on a Edwin Jagger/Muhle R89/Merkur or a Parker/Braveheart style baseplate. It does become fiercer (top cap riding material, really), because the amout of support from the base plate it smaller, so the blade is less curved. Perhaps a thick shim could improve that, though.
I haven't tried it yet, but it should work to a milder effect in the Vig Shaving EJ clone head, due to the taller blade support 'posts' on the base plate.

Is the Kandy K100 lighter than the Razorock DE1, which is 76 grams? I think the DE1 is brass.

I think its the same weight i haven't got a scale to weigh it, when i said its pretty light i meant its not overly heavy for somebody new to DE shaving, its a a little lighter then a merkur 34c just a touch.

I received the BT171 recently and your post inspired me as I noticed just how similar it is to the English Tech, so I pulled mine out, along with my BT191 which has the same head as the Kanzi/Baili being discussed.

Have a look at just how much the English Tech "inspired" the Baili BT171 design:

View attachment 785506 View attachment 785507 View attachment 785508

The BT171 baseplate is a bit thinner than the Tech's, but all of the parts are interchangeable between the two. I even was able to fit the longer BD191/BD176 cap onto the English Tech baseplate and hold it all together with the BT171 handle for a fun FrankenRazor which looks like it might just shave pretty well and it even gives you the benefit of covering up the blade tabs.
I shaved with the BT171 this morning and it's definitely more aggressive than the thicker BD191/BD176 head. I'd put it more in the range of a Pre-War Canadian Tech for aggression. It's actually fantastic, and the thinness of the head makes getting under the nostrils a breeze, but I really like the thicker head of my BD191 as well. Baili is really making some great razors in my opinion.

Here's the Frankenrazor: BD191 cap, English Tech baseplate, and a BT171 handle:

View attachment 785513 View attachment 785514

Can you compare gap and exposure on the English Tech and BT171? This looks like way more gap and exposure than I'd expect with a Tech:
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The kanzy is cheap and effective. Its perfect as a starter razor that someone can leap frog from should they want to spend more.
Agreed, this still is a good starter razor, back then it was one of the first decent razors that came from China, lol I was surprised to see one of my older threads pop up, though the typos & my bad spelling/grammar made me cringe 😁

Top Bottom