What's new

Kanayama strop

Does anyone know if the Kanayama strops are treated with something?
My strop seem to be doing more to me edges then some of my other strops. It was baught new, and I have not done anything to it.
It is not doing anything good to my edges.
I had a perfectly good edge I now have to rehone, because the strop created a false edge.

Not that I know of. I have to say that besides 2 Wostenholms, all my strops are from Naomi san and never had an issue.

Does anyone know if the Kanayama strops are treated with something?
My strop seem to be doing more to me edges then some of my other strops. It was baught new, and I have not done anything to it.
It is not doing anything good to my edges.
I had a perfectly good edge I now have to rehone, because the strop created a false edge.

Be interested to hear what people think here.

I'm not a strop expert by any means, but my Kanayama 50k is very, very different from any of my others. Which I'd put down to the hard and shiny nature of the leather, but I've no idea really. Though mine seems to do less than other strops, if using after honing a razor I usually use another strop first, otherwise I'd be there all day!

What is a 'false edge' btw...?

It’s been years since I had one of these strops. But as I recall it did nothing other strop did/do.

Curious about the false edge also.

Be interested to hear what people think here.

I'm not a strop expert by any means, but my Kanayama 50k is very, very different from any of my others. Which I'd put down to the hard and shiny nature of the leather, but I've no idea really. Though mine seems to do less than other strops, if using after honing a razor I usually use another strop first, otherwise I'd be there all day!

What is a 'false edge' btw...?
False edge is just a small burr.
Every time I use this strop it seem to degrade a good edge. This does not happen if I use my other strops.
There seem to be some white residue embedded in the leather.
I have been temped to change the surface texture to increase the draw. I do not like the glassy feel.

False edge is just a small burr.
Every time I use this strop it seem to degrade a good edge. This does not happen if I use my other strops.
There seem to be some white residue embedded in the leather.
I have been temped to change the surface texture to increase the draw. I do not like the glassy feel.

I have multiple Kanayama strops and none of them have any "white residue" in the leather nor do any of them false edge (more commonly known as a wire edge). Not sure what is up with yours. Where did you buy it new? Only thing I can think of is are you use your blades were perfectly clean when you hit the strop with them? Slurry residue being imbedded would probably impact performance. Additionally same question with clean palms if you are following the instructions to rub the strop down with your palm.

I find they leave very nice edges.

I have multiple Kanayama strops and none of them have any "white residue" in the leather nor do any of them false edge (more commonly known as a wire edge). Not sure what is up with yours. Where did you buy it new? Only thing I can think of is are you use your blades were perfectly clean when you hit the strop with them? Slurry residue being imbedded would probably impact performance. Additionally same question with clean palms if you are following the instructions to rub the strop down with your palm.

I find they leave very nice edges.
I got mine from JNS.
I have only used the strop after I shower. I have not used it just after I hone the razor. The strop have also been covered, so no dust particles.
To me it seems like there is something imbedded in the leather from manufacturing. Every time I use the strop it degrades the edge.

I have only one newer one but 2 vintage ones. I use the newer one as the older ones, even after restoration are not as soft and smooth. I use these mostly during honing, after lower grit stones and not for pre-shave stropping. This is mostly due to feedback, not so much performance and I leave them in my office/ desk space where I hone. I haven’t had any concerns using these strops myself.
I have a few strops and find most differences in thickness/feel/draw or any smoothness only affecting my stropping activity, my feedback and subjectivity while using the strop. No discernible difference in the shaving edge.

I got mine from JNS.
I have only used the strop after I shower. I have not used it just after I hone the razor. The strop have also been covered, so no dust particles.
To me it seems like there is something imbedded in the leather from manufacturing. Every time I use the strop it degrades the edge.
2 of my 3 are from JNS and are perfect. Can you supply pictures?

2 of my 3 are from JNS and are perfect. Can you supply pictures?
The strop is allot more abrasive then I need it to be.
20230305_193422.jpg

was the strop ever sanded? It does look like something is in it, tiny specks.
I have not sanded the strop. This is the way it came to me. I have conditioned it for several months with a clean palm with the hope of improving it.

Last edited:
I have not sanded the strop. This is the way it came to me. I have conditioned it for several month with a clean palm with the hope of improving it.

It came with all the chipping on the side like that? What exact strop is it?

It came with all the chipping on the side like that? What exact strop is it?
It says 15000 on it. Yes I have not nicked the strop. This is the way it came. I have only used it a few times because of the bad result. My simple dovo strop is used instead.

Top Bottom