What's new

Kanayama strop

What they mean is, those edge are not how the strop left the factory. So it has been used and maybe modified, sanded, cleaned or whatever.
That might explain things. The white residue might then be some sort of compound. It is absolutely useless to me in this condition. The last thing I need is a pasted strop.
I only did around 20 passes and a good edge turned bad.

Yes, this seems modified. There is no way a strop from Naomi-san came in this condition. I suspect maybe someone returned it after messing with it and you were sold it after it re-entered stock. With Naomi-san retiring I'm sure anything that could sell was sold and maybe Maksim didn't know about its condition.

False edge is just a small burr.

Ah yep that's what I thought (just double checking in case I'd misunderstood!)

FWIW... Mine sounds very different to yours. I bought this from another member here, 'second hand' though in pretty immaculate condition, and I've used a fair bit since then. But to my eye still looks in a much better state than yours.

I'd be tempted to ping Maxim an email. With those nicks on the side it surely can't be a 'new' strop...(?)

IMG-5627.JPG

IMG-5628 (1).JPG

Last edited:
My pal sent me an article about fake Kanayama strops a few years back. I should have kept it…anything that is prized where someone can make a buck will probably be faked somewhere along the way…sadly!

Ah yep that's what I thought (just double checking in case I'd misunderstood!)

FWIW... Mine sounds very different to yours. I bought this from another member here, 'second hand' though in pretty immaculate condition, and I've used a fair bit since then. But to my eye still looks in a much better state than yours.

I'd be tempted to ping Maxim an email. With those nicks on the side it surely can't be a 'new' strop...(?)

View attachment 1616533

View attachment 1616534
That looks much better.
I have had the strop for quite some time now, so going to the vendor to complain, knowing these are not made any more will probably not be the best solution.
How is the draw on your strop? Mine feels like i am stropping on glass.
I have put in an order for a scruple works strop to to see if that is any better.

In the meantime i will try to deep clean my strop and rework the surface to see if i can improve it.

Is there a simple way to do this?

How is the draw on your strop? Mine feels like i am stropping on glass.

Ah yes, that part of it does sound the same as mine.

It's slowly improving though I think. Also - one time I got some oil on it left on the razor after honing and it made a mark, so I smeared a little bit on my hands and rubbed it into the rest of the strop. That helped a little too, but yep - it's still very hard in comparison to all my others.

Reactions: JPO
More pictures and where/when was this bought, please? As others note... if this IS a real Kanayama, it looks like it was used/resold. That does not look like a clean strop. I've owned mine years and used it dozens of times and it looks nothing like that.

More pictures and where/when was this bought, please? As others note... if this IS a real Kanayama, it looks like it was used/resold. That does not look like a clean strop. I've owned mine years and used it dozens of times and it looks nothing like that.

He said earlier in the thread it was JNS.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
My vote for the problem is the white compound. I’ve sanded many a strop and not had an issue, and Iwasaki recommended periodic sanding (I don’t do this).

I’d probably first try washing it with soap and water, scrubbing it with a good brush and a cotton cloth. Dry it between two boards as Iwasaki recommends, to keep it flat, then rub the surface with a dry cotton cloth to polish it a little.

My vote for the problem is the white compound. I’ve sanded many a strop and not had an issue, and Iwasaki recommended periodic sanding (I don’t do this).

I’d probably first try washing it with soap and water, scrubbing it with a good brush and a cotton cloth. Dry it between two boards as Iwasaki recommends, to keep it flat, then rub the surface with a dry cotton cloth to polish it a little.
I have now sanded the strop with 3000 grit, deep cleaned it with leather cleaner and a boar brush, whiped clean with a wet microfiber.
Leather conditioner/fat is worked in with my palm. I continued working heat into the strop with my palm until it was quite dry. I then spent 15 min stropping a junk razor to work the surface.
The strop feels much better now. Now there is actually some tactile feedback I can live with.

20230308_184305.jpg

I have now sanded the strop with 3000 grit, deep cleaned it with leather cleaner and a boar brush, whiped clean with a wet microfiber.
Leather conditioner/fat is worked in with my palm. I continued working heat into the strop with my palm until it was quite dry. I then spent 15 min stropping a junk razor to work the surface.
The strop feels much better now. Now there is actually some tactile feedback I can live with.

View attachment 1617838

Well that went well eh! Looks feckin great; as good, possibly even better than new.

Top Bottom