What's new

kamisoris

This is how I store my kamis. Its Mickey Mouse but keeps them safe, hopefully I can make a better one in the future.
1653797784459.jpeg

So, I checked with a Japanese barber and he said most Japanese barbers did
not bother with any special storage. A lot of razors were just put in a drawer.

As far as honing a kamisori, Jim Rion has a good discussion of honing with
Mizuochi-san here:

Kamisori honing

As was mentioned, kamisori were used by primarily barbers, so difficult shaving
angles was not really an issue. That said, I have managed 95% coverage for
WTG, XTG and ATG on both sides of my face with a kamisori using only the right
hand and having only the ura side cutting whiskers. It doesn't take gymnastic level
flexibility, just some creative thinking. the only area that has eluded me thus far
is XTG under the jaw on the left side of my face. Maybe, I'll post a video...

I did not know left handed kamisori were even made in Japan, usually left-handed
people just learned to use their right hand whether it was calligraphy or tea ceremony.

I have a couple of right-handed asymmetric Iwasaki kamisori; being strongly left-handed, I shave with them with my left hand only, using both omote and ura sides. For storage, I use small bulldog clips on the ends of the handles, with the blades facing upwards. Amazon stocks a metal Western straight razor holder; it also fits kamisori with a thin enough handle.
E3117B38-6FE9-43C3-B729-7BCE8A0D7D56.jpeg
ACB368F9-7010-4F52-8C47-450A0989D204.jpeg

I don't wrap mine, as I fear it will trap water/moisture and bring about rust. I have one that came in with a rattan wrap. Rattan is the traditional wrap. But I make sure it is quite dry before I store it away.

I don't wrap mine, as I fear it will trap water/moisture and bring about rust. I have one that came in with a rattan wrap. Rattan is the traditional wrap. But I make sure it is quite dry before I store it away.
I have a few that are wrapped, but I've resolved never to unwrap them, because I fear what is underneath. Also, I have no reason to.

Well I McGuyvered some butcher string, heavily waxed. And it's working pretty well as a stop gap.

I redid the edge (or so I thought) using lapping film, however the test shave was an abort. I suspect the previous bevel was made using tape, and I didn't, so I didn't actually refresh the /edge/ proper. I'm going to have to redo the bevel starting from 1000 up. Otherwise, it seesm to handle pretty nicely, rather nimber, just what I hoped for.

1663070311787.png

Top Bottom