What's new

kamisoris

I hear them calling now too. sickness I say.

now that I have read how they are honed I'm less intimated by them. I get the basic principles.

how the hell do you shave the left side of the face if using a right handed razor?

all sanity tells me to avoid this niche.......but I think a cheap entry is worthy of exploration.

any help for this affliction that I surely thought would never strike me?

camo

I’m happy to leave this rabbit hole alone. As a westerner I’m happy to stick with western straights. I have no cultural link to the Kamisori. Storage and edge protection are a concern. Why complicate an otherwise successful shave routine with new grips. I don’t see any advantages for me here.

If you just ignore the ease of honing and stropping, the excellent control via the handle, the convenience of the short blade for using the heel, the superb steel on so many of them, and the general coolness factor of the look, there is no reason to own even one kamisori, let alone as many as I do.

Pros - cool, easy to clean and dry
Cons - thin handle, always worried where and how to store so I don't damage the edge

I bought few, use them here and there but overall not my cup of tea.
That said I think buying and trying one is a good idea. The standard size kamis are not that expensive.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
That’s how it starts…curiosity. I really like the idea of a kamisori. Love the pics, interesting threads. Enough for now…

I know some guys advocate shaving gymnastics in a nod to tradition. Which I'm not judging, btw. But if you really want to be traditional, have your wife shave you.

Or just use both sides. I doubt the kamisori police will find you.

so have the wife shave the left side????

could be interesting.......I'm game.

camo

They shave fine either way. For storage I got this neat box recommended by Griffiths.

20220527_104102.jpg

I too was curious about them. I started asking questions and ended up with a few. Shaving both sides using both hands is not an issue. Just keep the angle low. It was made for someone else to shave you. I'd always thought of ordering up a pair. Left and right. That would be the best way. But I change razors all the time so I just never got around to it. Its fun. I think everyone should have a couple. Just watch buying on eBay. Most of that stuff is so worn out it would never work correctly again.

Featured SOTD Aug 04 2019.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I too was curious about them. I started asking questions and ended up with a few. Shaving both sides using both hands is not an issue. Just keep the angle low. It was made for someone else to shave you. I'd always thought of ordering up a pair. Left and right. That would be the best way. But I change razors all the time so I just never got around to it. Its fun. I think everyone should have a couple. Just watch buying on eBay. Most of that stuff is so worn out it would never work correctly again.

View attachment 1462597

Jerry, there are symmetrical kamisori, like the Kenwa. Both sides are the same of course.

There’s no good reason not to have a couple on hand. I find the steel on them a bit more agreeable as far as face-feel goes compared to the steels used on my western SR’s for the most part. Definitely easier to hone provided there’s no underlying geometry issues which Kamisori’s can have just like their western counterparts.
As far as shaving goes I always use both sides.

Top Bottom