What's new

Just picked this up off of the Bay

I really hope I am able to clean this up and bring the etching out. My grandfather was a Master Mason, so When I saw this, I couldnt help but buy it. Its a Wade and Butcher, 7/8. Other than that, I dont know a thing about it. If any of you masters knows more on the history, I would love to know it.

Nice razor. You'll find when yo polish it you'll loose some contrast with the etch since you are cleaning out the etch to be the same brightness of the background blade.

In the past I've used clod blue (gun blue) to darken the etch after polishing. Then used a hard wheel with dry media to take the blue off the blade and leave the blue in the etch. It's kind of trial and error to get the right pressure so as not to get into the etch.

From what I can tell, and it hasn't shipped yet, but It does not have England on it, so that is going to date it somewhere mid 1800. Like 1840-50. I know the symbols, thy are authentic. Other than that. I know nothing.

Nice razor. You'll find when yo polish it you'll loose some contrast with the etch since you are cleaning out the etch to be the same brightness of the background blade.

In the past I've used clod blue (gun blue) to darken the etch after polishing. Then used a hard wheel with dry media to take the blue off the blade and leave the blue in the etch. It's kind of trial and error to get the right pressure so as not to get into the etch.
Right on, I was thinking along the same lines. I'm glad you were able to confirm my theory.

The will be nice. Just don't sweat if you have to re-blue parts as you. If you have patients you may try to blue only the etch with a tooth pick so you have less clean up. I was lazy and slobbered the entire blade, it came nice. It just took more work to remove the blue I did not want.

Well

The Seller I bought the razor from called me today, which caught me off guard. Thats never happened before. He apologised profusely, he dropped the razor as he was wrapping it in bubble wrap to ship it. it was closed, and the blade is still in great shape no damage, but the original scales are gone. Not a huge deal, and he refunded some of my money, which I didnt ask for. So I am good.

However, Now I am left with a dilemma, what to replace the scales with. I want something nice, not to flashy. I have some stuff on hand already.

I had made this set of scales for another razor, that I have been in the process of Forging. The scales are rams horn, Ancient Mammoth, and Brass.

I also have some desert iron burl, Cocobolo, kirinite, and micarta materials as well.

What do you all think?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
It is totally up to you but I wouldn't gild the lily. The blade etching and period shape is the star of the show. IMO the eye should be drawn to the engraving/etching and a simple elegant ebony with a lead spacer would do just that.

It is totally up to you but I wouldn't gild the lily. The blade etching and period shape is the star of the show. IMO the eye should be drawn to the engraving/etching and a simple elegant ebony with a lead spacer would do just that.
I have some black bison horn laying about. I'll cut out a rough shape and see how it looks. I agree totally btw. Nothing to flashy. I thought the rams horn was over the top.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I have some black bison horn laying about. I'll cut out a rough shape and see how it looks. I agree totally btw. Nothing to flashy. I thought the rams horn was over the top.

You'll know best in the end. BTW, I am a former resident of Knoxvegas and my first ex-wife still resides there and my eldest daughter is a UT Grad and youngest daughter attends UT presently as well.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I rescued a Masonic W&B about a year ago with blown horn scales. Was going to use ivory marcarta until I found the real thing on a Rogers with a toasted blade. Keep the blade the star of the show. You have a great blade that will live again.

$IMG_0413.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I wonder how many of those were made. I have searched the Google and found a few examples but not very many.

You don't see them everyday but they are not that uncommon. There are a few active on eBay and a few more on completed listings.
I found mine at a flea market in Florida.

Top Bottom