What's new

Just one long gun for SHTF?

If you had to head for the hills because the poo just hit the fan, and you could take only one long gun, what would it be(other than an AR)? Shot gun, lever gun, carbine, bolt action? Something else? And why would you pick that?

I have a good reason for ruling out ARs, which I’ll talk about if people are interested.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
While I am curious about your disqualification of the AR (my pistol would be hard not to grab) I think a .22 LR bolt gun would be my go to. Pretty simple mechanically and pound for pound you could carry a TON of ammo. I would guess weight wise (5) 30 round mags of 5.56 would equate to about 500 to 750 rounds of .22LR. Not as effective energy wise but can still take game and a shot to a soft spot in the brain housing group would still take a belligerent out of the fight. Any time someone says that a .22LR is a lousy defensive round I ask if I can shoot them with one. The answer is always the same and always in the negative. Weird, right?

If I can’t take an AR then I’ll take an AK. Relatively common ammo and reliable. Plus it can double as a blunt force instrument or hammer if necessary. But definitely curious on the AR disqualification.

So my reason for asking this question... I want to buy a rifle (or shotgun) that would serve me well should things go south. An AR (or an AK/SKS, or Garand) is out of my price range, sadly. Plus I’m in California, which makes them essentially unobtainable. Hence the rule-out.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
So my reason for asking this question... I want to buy a rifle (or shotgun) that would serve me well should things go south. An AR (or an AK/SKS, or Garand) is out of my price range, sadly. Plus I’m in California, which makes them essentially unobtainable. Hence the rule-out.
Ah! That gives me clarity on use. Well a rim fire gets you away from the roster bs as does a bolt gun to a point. Another option I would consider is a Ruger state complaint PC carbine. Featureless stock, non-threaded barrel, 9mm (more in this in a minute) and can take Glock mags. So why 9mm? I firmly believe in standard NATO chamberings. Why? Because it will be more common than other stuff out there so 5.56, 9mm, and 12ga will never go away and will be easier to scrounge. Ditto for Glock magazines. Look at what everyone carries. I would wager 75% of what you see will be a Glock 17 or 19. In an it hits the fan scenario you can use that to your advantage. Lastly, a 9mm out of 16-ish long barrel is a pretty devastating round in its own right. Do the Cal-DOJ background checks apply to rim fire ammo? Been a while since I followed along.

I got my Benelli supernova (pump shotgun). I can put both double 00 buck or slugs up to 3 and a half inch. Plus it has a toggle button on the forearm where on the fly I can load/unload and use the round I need for the situation. Swiss army knife is the shottie. Oh yeah and I can put low brass for bird if I needed it since I got a different barrel with a choke ok it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The Cali requirement really buggers up the selection process, as I would opt for a threaded barrel and a suppressor for just about any selection. Be that as it may, any of the pistol caliber carbines, to include a pistol caliber lever gun. If I thought I would likely need some stand off distance, then something along the lines of a Scout rifle with a detatchable magazine would be good. The 12 ga. and .22 LR are solid suggestions as well. I suppose it boils down to the need to forage food vs. stand off the zombie hordes vs. defending a mountain retreat.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I also like modular firearms on which the barrels or upper receivers can be swapped out to accommodate different calibers for different needs. The lever gun in .357 mag would be very versatile in being able to shoot low recoil/noise .38 Spl with light bullets for small game or heavy .357 loads for more serious use.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
While I am curious about your disqualification of the AR (my pistol would be hard not to grab) I think a .22 LR bolt gun would be my go to. Pretty simple mechanically and pound for pound you could carry a TON of ammo. I would guess weight wise (5) 30 round mags of 5.56 would equate to about 500 to 750 rounds of .22LR. Not as effective energy wise but can still take game and a shot to a soft spot in the brain housing group would still take a belligerent out of the fight. Any time someone says that a .22LR is a lousy defensive round I ask if I can shoot them with one. The answer is always the same and always in the negative. Weird, right?
Fine at a distance, and we have a couple old Marlins with optics that can hole a penny at 100 yds.

But not up close with a bolt. Rimfire cartridges have too high a FTF rate for me to trust in close quarters.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Fine at a distance, and we have a couple old Marlins with optics that can hole a penny at 100 yds.

But not up close with a bolt. Rimfire cartridges have too high a FTF rate for me to trust in close quarters.
But them nice old solid walnut or elm stocks can certainly make a dent up close and personal.

One of my 22lr would be my choice for long gun and in fact I sold and gave away all the larger caliber ones. The 22 is perfect for small game, ammo too can be carried in mass. Major threats around here would ne the nolegs and coyotes (2 & 4 legged). If face with a body armor wearing zombie I do have a couple bows that would likely do better than most any firearm I own.

8E0FC237-CB79-4371-B815-5E97AEF46807.jpeg

Remington 870 12 gauge. Very reliable. Proven over decades. Wide selection of ammunition in various configurations to meet any need. Accurate to 75-100 yards with sabot or rifled slugs. One really need not look much further.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I would go with a 12 gauge as well. Common brand like Remington or Mossberg. You will be able to find parts and barrels everywhere once society has gone to the zombies.

I’m a little late to the party, but I’m in the pistol caliber lever gun camp. Is it going to the perfect choice, no. But with some reloading capabilities, you can take a magnum chambered lever gun and have a tool that capable of performing many jobs.

Obviously a stout magnum round covers two legged and some if not all of the larger four legged predators in your area. But there are loads to be found that allow one to use a 44mag with such a light load that small game like squirrel can be taken and still be useful.

I would likely look to a marlin 1894 in 44mag if you have bear where you’d be headed. Otherwise I would choose 357 mag. Where I live, there’s nothing outside of my back door large enough to harm me that a round designed for 2 legged predators wouldn’t pacify.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Tough call...are we allowed to pick a gun we don't own? LOL!

This. Why I have no preference of Glock, SiG or Beretta... Or revolver.

Also don't plan to live forever in such scenario, only to make a good first impression. :lol: Hence the shottie.

AA

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Maybe something with both close and long range capability...like an SKS rifle. Also important that you can shoot with optics or open sights in case any scope or scope mount on it gets damaged.

Last edited:
Top Bottom