What's new

Just one high end brush...

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
$400? I'd grow myself a little high-end collection with $400. I'd buy a Chubby 1 Super at Amazon for $129, a Duke 3 at $79, and to mix things up I'd keep my eye on the Paladin site and when something in a nice handle with a 26mm knot dropped I'd be ready to hit it ($160-$180). Or I'd replace the Paladin with something nice from Shavemac for about the same price. Or if you want a bigger knot than the Chubby 1 the Chubby 2 Super is $170.

I have purchased eleventy hundred and four brushes, when all I really needed was a Chubby 1 Super and a Duke 3 in Best.

EDIT- If you really want to push it the Chubby 3 in Best is only $140 right now. That is an insane price. I just saw that- I hadn't seen it before. Wow. Too big for me, but those who like that brush swear by it.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It’s hard to research and decide on the perfect badger. I find all the options of not only quality, but 2 band 3 band, gel etc. loft. Knot size. Density. All these factors and more are confusing and make it impossible IMO to research and decide. You have to actually use a brush. Then use it multiple times to break it in or truly decide. Anyway that’s why I can’t just have one brush.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I really like my @Rudy Vey brushes:
20201126_112506~2.jpg
20201126_112534~2.jpg
20201126_112633~2.jpg
IMG_0928.jpg
image.jpg

I have several different knot types in my Rudy Vey brushes and have settled on the Shavemac 2-band Silvertip as my preferred knot.

Then there's the Saponifcio Varesino Custom LE, Golden Pewter Crown, Olive Wood Handle (Hand-tied 30mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot):
20201225_114354~2.jpg

Incredible brush. :cool:

IN MY OPINION, it is really important to take your time and try a number of different knots of different sizes and set at different lofts before you spend $400 on a brush.

YMMV :)

Aesthetically, I am drawn to Dogwood Handcrafts and Brad Sears/M&F. But I have only been able to admire these from afar as I focus on RAD. I am very content with the performance of my Thäter 2 band.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I am leaning Varlet. I'm thinking Ranger with the 25.4 knot.

Monzigo brushworks is on a break so we don't know when a brush is available. Black Eagle is way too difficult to obtain.
That leaves Varlet as at least something you can obtain. I don't have one but I do have some Declaration Grooming brushes where I sent Scott a handle and he installs a hand tied knot. That process is less than half the price of a Varlet and very very good and obtainable. I doubt a Varlet is more than 2 times as good especially since I like a variety of other brushes and can't see dumping too much dollars into one brush. I have recently explored higher end boars and a mixed knot and I am very happy now with 10 total brushes of various types.

Last edited:
I’m sure it will be worth the wait. I’d be more than happy to use my Shavemac every single day. They are a top quality brush. Which one did you go for?
My lack of experience may have gotten the better of me on this order. I wanted a luxurious experience in shaving, so I went with a very large knot size of 30mm and a height of 58mm. It's a double band silver tip. The handle is probably fairly standard: blue marble colored. Bulb shaped 4071. This is the first high-end (at least to me) quality brush that I have ordered.

My lack of experience may have gotten the better of me on this order. I wanted a luxurious experience in shaving, so I went with a very large knot size of 30mm and a height of 58mm. It's a double band silver tip. The handle is probably fairly standard: marble colored. Bulb shaped 4071. This is the first high-end (at least to me) quality brush that I have ordered.
That’s a big brush. You will have no shortage of lather.

Under the very excellent circumstances you describe, I would talk with one of the ‘top-tier’ brush makers about a custom brush. My experience (for what it is worth) is that Rudy Vey will provide a fine example! :a29: :a29:

Top Bottom