What's new

Just one high end brush...

So as my wet shaving journey has reached a couple year's old I have come to some definite conclusions. One, my rad is pretty much dead and because of that I am going to have some spare change to spend. However my sbrad is quite alive. My question to you all is if money was no object (up to $400) what brush would you purchase? I am asking because thats what I am going to do. I almost face lather exclusively and I love some backbone with a soft feel. No scritchy please. I figure instead of having tons of brushes I will have one that is absolutely amazing. Unfortunately there are so many brushes and I do not know all of them so I am counting on B&B's extensive experience to help me out. Thanks

Simpson M7 Manchurian. The ivory is on sale but they have some funky limited editions for a few bucks more.

great brush for face and bowl lathering IMO. I have 3 M7 brushes and love them. Well under $400 also.

But look at Shavemac, Thater, Paladin, Declaratio, Rudy Vey, etc.

Rooney Finest if they were still made or you could find one for sale @ $400 (seem to command $700+ these days).

My second favorite after Rooney Finest is a 24mm mixed badger/boar fan knot from APshaveco/Oumo... set in whatever handle you want (@ $400 go nuts, the knots are like $30). I think my favorite loft falls around 46.5mm, but they're good at any loft and that's all personal preference.

Scratch my preferences (lol), you said no scritch. I love scritch. No scritch? Go with any of the new guys making gel tip brushes. Or cut out the middleman and go with a Maggards/OUMO SHD/Manchurian 2 band knot and a handle of your choice.

Last edited:
I am guessing that most of these would have to be found used except the Simpsons? I have tried searching but not much luck.

S

Scrubby

7ACBCD53-58D9-44D8-B009-00034D9E0A2F.jpeg
Looking at your wishes a chubby 2 Manchurian is all you need. Plenty of handles to choose from - soft tips and a good backbone as requested.

Paladin are still active. I'm not sure if they operate like a lot of the newer expensive makers do though (who tend to do brush "drops"... releasing a small number of drops at a time) to keep prices up. Due to that you have to either follow them on facebook/whatever to get notifications of when these "drops" happen, or else buy second hand.

As others are saying, Simpsons Manchurians are just excellent in the backbone and ever-so-slightly scritchy category. Alternatives in the same category are Morris & Forndran (as far as I know, now available new only through Brad Sears) and shavemac 2-band silvertip (available new, of course, from shavemac but also from Rudy Vey).

If you want a softer knot, Simpsons in Super, or even in Best, Paladin, and shavemac 2-band silvertip (especially DO-1) are excellent.
Even softer are the Plisson brushes in High Mountain White. Some folks find them floppy, but I say they're unique and hard to describe. The smaller ones may be within your price range.

As others are saying, Simpsons Manchurians are just excellent in the backbone and ever-so-slightly scritchy category. Alternatives in the same category are Morris & Forndran (as far as I know, now available new only through Brad Sears) and shavemac 2-band silvertip (available new, of course, from shavemac but also from Rudy Vey).

If you want a softer knot, Simpsons in Super, or even in Best, Paladin, and shavemac 2-band silvertip (especially DO-1) are excellent.
Even softer are the Plisson brushes in High Mountain White. Some folks find them floppy, but I say they're unique and hard to describe. The smaller ones may be within your price range.
Good point on the Simpsons Super. They are almost always nice and soft with good backbone.

One of the best deals out there now is the Tulip 3 on Amazon. This brush is approx $300 thru Simpsons direct. Killer brush for $119. I love mine.

There are 2 left...

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I suggest first and foremost being sure what kind of knot you want. My favourites are Simpson Manchurian and Semogue finest two band brushes and I recently bought a Paladin to add variety to my rotation. The Paladin was undoubtedly a top quality brush but for me the knot was massively over chemically treated and 'gelled'. It was unnatural, unpleasant, and a colossal disappointment, so I sold it. The fault was not with Paladin, it was with me, for not researching the characteristics of the knot to ensure that it met my personal preference. Having had my fingers, and my wallet burned, I will not stray far from Simpson Manchurian in future, but for me a critical requirement is as far as possible a natural, untreated knot with no 'gel'.

There is a whole top tier next exclusive level of bushes with hand tied knots. I'd put Varlet, Black Eagle and Mozingo Brushworks hand tied knots in this top tier.

I'd recommend a Varlet brush though it will certainly push your $400 limit a bit, maybe closer to $500 here. Black Eagle is pretty much unobtanium as their drops are few and far between but you might find someone that'll part with theirs around or over the $500 mark. Mozingo Brushworks makes a really great brush (closer to the $300 mark) that's a bit more affordable than Black Eagle and Varlet. Almost the same quality but a much better bang for your buck.

After these I'm put Declaration Brushworks as some of his batches are exceptional while others aren't quite as special. So it depends there.

The more mainstream brushes like Brad Sears, Paladin, M&F and Simpson are above average but not tier 1 for me like the others listed above. They are also quite a bit more affordable.

With your budget and desire to find the best brush out there I'd go with Varlet, Black Eagle (hand tied versions, not the earliest ones) or Mozingo (ZT versions). These are all (in my opinion) a good deal better than the Simpson brushes that most are recommending.

Last edited:
I love my Simpsons in super badger.Dense with super soft hooked tips great backbone and a gentle scrub.I face lather and they're my favorite brushes out of 18.Their best is superb also just a little more scrub.There's also so much choice on handles.It's worth taking a look on their website.No i don't work for them i wish i did i'd have them all.As always YMMV.

There is a whole top tier next exclusive level of bushes with hand tied knots. I'd put Varlet, Black Eagle and Mozingo Brushworks hand tied knots in this top tier.

I'd recommend a Varlet brush though it will certainly push your $400 limit a bit, maybe closer to $500 here. Black Eagle is pretty much unobtanium as their drops are few and far between but you might find someone that'll part with theirs around or over the $500 mark. Mozingo Brushworks makes a really great brush (closer to the $300 mark) that's a bit more affordable than Black Eagle and Varlet. Almost the same quality but a much better bang for your buck.

After these I'm put Declaration Brushworks as some of his batches are exceptional while others aren't quite as special. So it depends there.

The more mainstream brushes like Brad Sears, Paladin, M&F and Simpson are above average but not tier 1 for me like the others listed above. They are also quite a bit more affordable.

With your budget and desire to find the best brush out there I'd go with Varlet, Black Eagle (hand tied versions, not the earliest ones) or Mozingo (ZT versions). These are all (in my opinion) a good deal better than the Simpson brushes that most are recommending.

Interesting! I've read about Varlet, Black Eagle and Mozingo but never tried one. On their Web sites, the only brushes listed are very large (25-29mm diameter). To be fair, the same seems to be true of Paladin and Brad Sears. I prefer brushes in the 18-22mm range, and Simpsons, shavemac, Rudy Vey, and Plisson all have brushes available in that size range.

Varlet = Brushlust, plz buy one so I can live vicariously through you!

A Simpsons Duke 2 in Best is a very nice brush for less than $100.

The problem is, no two brushes are alike, even of the exact same model from variation in hair grade, density, and overall dimensions, which all greatly affect performance.

I wouldn’t put all your eggs in one basket, you will very likely be disappointed, especially if you spend close to $400 on one brush and just don’t like it for whatever reason.

Top Bottom