What's new

Just like Grampa used to shave

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I finally read this entire thread; I just finished it. There are some of the most vile photos I've ever seen in this thread, and no, I'm not talking about the pics of @FarmerTan's haircuts!

And another thing... I read his references to his wife as the "War Department" and then in my mind's eye I see him waking up next to Edwin Stanton.

View attachment 1255122
Well, I did meet her when she was the bearded lady when the circus came through our little hamlet!

I have to hide my razors from her! True story doggone!

As to the photos: yeah, some of 'em could have been left out.

And why would anyone read this thread that wasn't forced to for bad behavior in skool or something?

I wrote this garbage and I didn't even read it. (Go ahead, figure THAT out!)

FarmerTan

April 23rd? That's too long. Y'all must've missed me.
I'm on a very special vacation, so when I get home I'll find that nasty ole brush and use some Arko for Arko August in it. Probably 50% of the strange brew in that brush is Arko....

The other half is undoubtedly Anthrax doggone!

April 23rd? That's too long. Y'all must've missed me.
I'm on a very special vacation, so when I get home I'll find that nasty ole brush and use some Arko for Arko August in it. Probably 50% of the strange brew in that brush is Arko....

The other half is undoubtedly Anthrax doggone!
Doesn’t Arko kill anthrax and most other infectious diseases? 🤷🏻‍♂️

FarmerTan

Doesn’t Arko kill anthrax and most other infectious diseases? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I honestly had never thought of that!

I could sell that brush some day.... Nah, the humanitarian in me wants science to research that brush.

But the proud human in me wants to do the research my own self so's I can win the noble Nobel Prize...

Both of my Grandpas shaved with an electric…. ⚡️ They lived in a time where people were eager to embrace new technologies and gadgets that promised to make life easier. I have enough time saving gadgets that I can choose to do a few thing the old way even if it’s slower.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Poor old grandpa.

My maternal grandfather shaved with a series of Schick electrics, all of which he burned out. He would literally shave with those things for 30-45 minutes at a time, and couldn't understand why they'd get so hot.

Kinda' felt sorry for him, but there was no explaining that those old Schicks were not about to shave as close as a blade, nor could they withstand 45 straight minutes of shaving.

Interesting shavers, though. Tall and slim with a very narrow cross-cut head. Heavy, too. Bakelite bodies and cotton-wrapped cords, of course. While I remember some dating from before WWII, others were from the 'fifties. All looked pretty much the same.

...My maternal grandfather shaved with a series of Schick electrics...Tall and slim with a very narrow cross-cut head. Heavy, too. Bakelite bodies and cotton-wrapped cords, of course. While I remember some dating from before WWII, others were from the 'fifties...
Tomo's right. My dad was an "early adopter" of coloured television, electric razors, the Polaroid Land camera, coloured film, hi-fi audio, electric tools, air-conditioning, the list goes on. But he could be cheap in other ways.

The earliest electric razors (circa 1920's), were simply single or double-edged wet razors that vibrated. There continue to be variations on this theme even to-day. True dry electric shaving devices came into their own in the late 1930's, but were poor performers in comparison to modern electrics. Even later, in the 1950's and '60's, when they became a popular Christmas gift, most men considered them at best a convenience item, and nobody seriously believed that they rivalled a blade. In fact, most men here would state that it's still true to-day.

FarmerTan

Well, I'm about 12 hours post shave with that knarly old brush.
IMG_20210817_111024521.jpg
I killed two birds with one stone: broke out "Old Anthrax" for another use, and tried out a blade I'd sworn to NEVER try again!

The Derby has never loved my incredibly handsome face, nor has the Dorco blades. As a matter of fact, if I was a lawyer I'd sue 'em for false advertising: claiming to be a razor blade! True story doggone!

I have to admit: I actually think this blade will be BETTER on it's second use. I was scared to push my luck and only did a one pass combo grain shave, but honestly..... I actually ENJOYED the shave!

I hope to use the Dorco Prime tomorrow if'n I ain't too lazy. But I will be shocked if it's equal to the shave I got today. My face is still decently smooth right now!

So what made me have the guts to try the cursed Derby brand again?
Well, I was on another thread expressing my unbelief that people were actually praising these blades, when one of the gents offered to send me some Dorks and Derbs to try, FREE OF CHARGE! Yes, I know that is rare on B and B, but @BaPh96 did just that: he sent me two of each so I wouldn't have to be stuck with 200 blades I hated.

I'm still amazed 12ish hours later at both his generosity, and the smoooooothness of that Derby. Incredible.

And the brush that I haven't rinsed since July 5, 2019?

Would you believe it didn't shed a single hair? Well, believe it. I'll try to report back tomorrow. Sorry @Grundi ! I'm stepping out of the Polsilver shaves for a bit, but the 7th shave with that blade was phenomenal, and I'll be back with it, maybe switching between it and the GSB with 55?ish shaves on it. I'd like to see how they compare.

I should also mention that @nemo sent me a second blade that was NOT expected, is all but unobtainium to me in my present financial situation, and I will let @nemo tell me what razor to use.

My present financial situation = whatever the War Department sez it is, and since she's looking for a job she seems to think her veto power is even stronger than it was!

I'm trying to get her to eat less, and transfer some grocery money into my shaving money envelope, but she's having none of it! Here I thought I was being a good husband by helping her with the diet AND the budget and I get no thanks! I told her it was @Brian C. 's idea and now she's mad at him, so I may not be kilt in my sleep after all.

Enjoy living dangerously do we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still amazed 12ish hours later at both his generosity, and the smoooooothness of that Derby. Incredible.

Happy to help you try the Derby Premium blades, they are definitely a step above the Derby Extra. It was a welcome surprise for me when I tried them as compared to the Extra version I had gotten in one of the variety packs.

FarmerTan

Happy to help you try the Derby Premium blades, they are definitely a step above the Derby Extra. It was a welcome surprise for me when I tried them as compared to the Extra version I had gotten in one of the variety packs.
Thanks again my friend. But I must respectfully correct you on one point, LOL!
They are more than a step above! Ha! Those "Extra" blades are only extra because they sit around gathering dust!

FarmerTan

Enjoy living dangerously do we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I should add, my lovely bride lost some weight since I started this thread, and I know RIGHT where it went!

Being married to her proves that God perfected the process of creating humans. He obviously was just practicing with Adam.

She really does "complete" me. If the roles were reversed in this home, I'm sure I would have had to poison the water in my CPAP!

True story doggone!

Yes our other halves definitely give us a run for our money some times... I'm just glad mine indulges me in my hobbies....
🤔But then again she does often say that after 25+ years working on an ambulance and being with her for over 9 of those I must be crazy. 🤪

After reading through this thread the petri dish approach is one that I bet my own grandfather would have used, as you said waste not want not and the jars of everything on shelve over the work bench were a testament to that ... Although by the time I came along he was using canned barbasol with a plug in lather warmer that he used on top of the can in the cooler New England months.

FarmerTan

Yes our other halves definitely give us a run for our money some times... I'm just glad mine indulges me in my hobbies....
🤔But then again she does often say that after 25+ years working on an ambulance and being with her for over 9 of those I must be crazy. 🤪

After reading through this thread the petri dish approach is one that I bet my own grandfather would have used, as you said waste not want not and the jars of everything on shelve over the work bench were a testament to that ... Although by the time I came along he was using canned barbasol with a plug in lather warmer that he used on top of the can in the cooler New England months.
I came along in 1962, and never really had a grampa, but my Dad was older when us kids came along. But he was a "modern man"... He shaved with canned foam, and he had one of those can heating doohickeys when I was a little older, probably a Christmas gift!

I miss him every day. He'd think we were all nuts, sitting around talking about SHAVING of all things, when we could be out tinkering on the car, or plowing the field!

FarmerTan

Wait a minute....you READ this garbage?!? My most sincere apologies my friend.

I could've warned you it's only good for insomnia! I've actually considered marketing my ramblings as a sleep aid! True story doggone!

FarmerTan

Shaved with the "Dorco Prime" just now. (I just realized that Dorco Prime sounds like a Star Trek planet, desperately in need of Will Riker to lead an away team to save it from an uprising of lesser creatures that are tired of werking in the Dilithium Mines.)
IMG_20210818_214652994~2.jpg
An unbelievable shave. I had no idea what to expect from the Dorco Prime, but it was even better, MUCH better than the Derby Premium.
Honestly, this blade was EASILY as good as a GSB on it's second use, which for me is better than a fresh GSB.
Thank you @BaPh96 for the blades! If I had to rate these blades on one use, in different razors, I'd give the Derby a 9, and the Dorco a 10. I'm shocked, actually.
The brush was used for two passes, and shed pretty bad. Last night was an aberration I guess.

The boring Fatboy *giggle* performed flawlessly. I actually scrubbed it with a toothbrush for the first time since I bought it, before I shaved, with a mild liquid hand soap and an ancient Tepe toothbrush. If you've never used a Tepe, you should. Incredibly soft and almost floss while they brush.

Don't worry @KeenDogg : I'll make sure it's kleaned up nice and purty for the auction in October!
The AS is an awesome one I used for the first time tonight. Bought it yesterday for the princely sum of $1.49 ! Wonderful stuff!

Shaved with the "Dorco Prime" just now. (I just realized that Dorco Prime sounds like a Star Trek planet, desperately in need of Will Riker to lead an away team to save it from an uprising of lesser creatures that are tired of werking in the Dilithium Mines.)
View attachment 1313947
An unbelievable shave. I had no idea what to expect from the Dorco Prime, but it was even better, MUCH better than the Derby Premium.
Honestly, this blade was EASILY as good as a GSB on it's second use, which for me is better than a fresh GSB.
Thank you @BaPh96 for the blades! If I had to rate these blades on one use, in different razors, I'd give the Derby a 9, and the Dorco a 10. I'm shocked, actually.
The brush was used for two passes, and shed pretty bad. Last night was an aberration I guess.

The boring Fatboy *giggle* performed flawlessly. I actually scrubbed it with a toothbrush for the first time since I bought it, before I shaved, with a mild liquid hand soap and an ancient Tepe toothbrush. If you've never used a Tepe, you should. Incredibly soft and almost floss while they brush.

Don't worry @KeenDogg : I'll make sure it's kleaned up nice and purty for the auction in October!
The AS is an awesome one I used for the first time tonight. Bought it yesterday for the princely sum of $1.49 ! Wonderful stuff!
Dorco Primes are insanely underrated IMO. Very nice blades.

They are also currently the cheapest 100 blade pack available on Amazon Canada. 100 for under $7USD. I “splurged” a couple of years ago and bought 400. Under $28US for 4-5 years worth of blades. Can’t beat that IMO.

P.S. The standard (ST-301?) Dorcos are garbage IMO. Not in the same league as Primes.

Top Bottom