What's new

Just how tough is your hair?

As many of you know, I have a thick beard and very tough hair. This means that in my DE razors only Feathers will do and my straights have to be much, much sharper than usual or I get a lot of pulling and tugging. I think that hair diameter is the biggest indicator of hair toughness. A big hair has a much larger surface area and a much thicker cuticle(the hard outer coating). There can be considerable variation in hair diameter on one persons face and very different diameters from person to person. Just feeling your beard won't give you a solid measurement of toughness. You really need to look at your hair under a microscope.

In order to gauge my own beard toughness I've taken some off-cuts from shaving and put them under the microscope. I find my average hair to be around 200 microns wide. This is near the top end of the normal range. However I also found many hairs thicker than this. I found a few, one of which I will now show you, that are positively monstrous. I have several of these, maybe a few dozen, scattered around my face and boy can I sure feel them when they razor hits them!

I present the monster hair!

proxy.php

proxy.php

I measure this tree of a hair to be around 460 microns!! :eek: That is a normal head hair next to it so that you can get an idea of the difference in size. I had to make two micrographs at different focus settings because it is so big that I can't get both in focus at once!

So the next time somebody on the forums says a blade is not sharp enough for him and you think "He is crazy! That blade is too sharp!", remember that some of us have trees living on our faces. :wink:

Joe

i have basicly kevlar fibre, its water proof and if i leave it too long, my scalp starts to suffer due to lack of air exposure,

Awesome pics, nice to have someone around that understands my/our plight with scientific certainty!

I too have a forest of Kevlar coated trees growing on my face and unfortunately I'm unaware of any Teflon coated razors :blush:. I've been getting not-so-great straight shaves partially because I'm a newbie and the honemeister I use likely doesn't have as tough a beard as I do. But a Derby works wonders and I'm going to take the Feather plunge this evening!

-Michael

PS, what equipment was used in taking these photos?

Awesome pics, nice to have someone around that understands my/our plight with scientific certainty!

I too have a forest of Kevlar coated trees growing on my face and unfortunately I'm unaware of any Teflon coated razors :blush:. I've been getting not-so-great straight shaves partially because I'm a newbie and the honemeister I use likely doesn't have as tough a beard as I do. But a Derby works wonders and I'm going to take the Feather plunge this evening!

-Michael

PS, what equipment was used in taking these photos?

It does suck having tough hair. :mad3:

I use a QX5 digital microscope. It is sold as a toy but with proper modification and technique you can obtain really good results.

Most DE blades are Teflon(PTFE or polytetrafluoroethylene) coated. That is one reason why straights can't quite get to the same level of "slickness".

Let us know how your Feather trial goes! I bet you will be surprised at how comfortable it is. :biggrin:

Thanks all for the kind words!
Joe

Most DE blades are Teflon(PTFE or polytetrafluoroethylene) coated.

Haha, I had no idea--I was trying to make more of a "cop-killer bullets pierce Kevlar because they're coated with Teflon so Teflon coated blades will pierce my Kevlar hair" analogy/joke :laugh: I'll definitely post info on my Feather debut!

-M

My hair's not that bad, but I must perform a good prep and use a soap formulated to produce a lather that promotes good beard hydration. There are so many variables. Shaving is definitely YMMV.

-Clarke

I concur with the feather recommendation. I can skip a day shaving & the feather is the only thing that will plow thru the forest on my face. My whiskers will just laugh & point at any other blades. :wink:

Haha, I had no idea--I was trying to make more of a "cop-killer bullets pierce Kevlar because they're coated with Teflon so Teflon coated blades will pierce my Kevlar hair" analogy/joke :laugh: I'll definitely post info on my Feather debut!

-M

Armor piercing bullets can penetrate armor because of the hardness of the materials used to produce the bullet. The Teflon coating is to minimize the amount of wear on the rifling in the barrel. :wink:

Top Bottom