What's new

Just how did our fathers and grandfathers do it?

I remember staying with my grandparents when I was younger and seeing in the bathroom my grandfathers shaving equipment. He had a brush and cup, a tto razor, alum, and Colgate shave soap.
When I got interested in DE shaving, I set out to shave like they did in those days. I have several Gillette razors, an OS cup, soap(both Colgate and Williams), and an alum stick. I have since bought one or two items they did not have back then, but are comparable, (aftershave, etc.). One of my greatest interests in wet shaving is trying to get the feel of how a shave was back then.
(I wil admit at this early stage of my learning, I have great respect for those guys back then. My speed at completing a shave still prohibits me from doing it on a workday. I still have to use my crutch...a cartridge shave. :thumbdown )

Surprised to see this thread resurrected. My father always used a DE when I was a kid. A Gillette of some kind. My grandfather used a straight. I know he had a strop that he had hanging in his bedroom.

i remember in our house there was various shaving items, open razor and rolls was my grandfathers, he went on to electric when they came out, my father and uncles were de shavers, black handled gillette and gillette slims, for soaps they all seemed to use the soap sticks like palmolive and all had the small bits of tissue over cuts after shaving, when i asked if any of this stuff was left i was told it was all thrown out including two old scuttles, the only thing i could find was a un used personna tto in a box of junk, my father went on to those bic type throw away razors when they came out and canned shave foam, he thinks i am crazy shaving the old way as he calls it.

I occasionally use my Grandfather's razor. It is definately a bit more aggressive than my 34HD! No fancy brush or cream, just a puck of old palmolive and a simple brush. He never missed a shave either.

I'll use my late father-in-law's collection as a guide. Clearly, some of these were from his father or uncles, due to their age:

Old Type
Tuckaway
40s Aristocrat
Toggle
Aluminum handled Tech (60s)

Ever Ready wooden handle boar
Dubl Duck boar (aluminum handle?)
Butterscotch badger branded for B. Altman dept. store

He'd also moved on to carts - Trac II, Atra, and finally Sensor.

No evidence of what soap or cream he liked to use.

I use my grandfather's razor on special occasions, 1940's Gillette aristocrat. My best guess is some British soap (Yardley or Pears) with either a boar or horse brush.

my late brother was 15 years older than me, and I remember how mad he used to get when I fiddled with his Techmatic. This week I bought one from eBat and I'm intrigued by how it shaves - I remember my brother's face being smothered in toilet paper patches. Phil never had a shaving brush so I'll need to get some canned goo to replicate his shaves but I have genuine 70s vintage Brut.

My grandpa was born in 1902 and died in 1992. He used a Gillette Superspeed and a Schick Injector. Wilkenson Sword blades and switched between Colgate Shave Soap and Edge Gel. His brush was a cheap bore of some type.

Before my father started using an electric razor later in his life, I recall him having a brush, but no bowl, and gold, double edge razor. I pretty sure that it was not an adjustable and it was most likely a Gillette. I recall that he used Gillette blades. He never taught me how to shave and I started shaving by using a Schick Injector which was given to me by an uncle. He was staying with us at the time because of a city-wide black out (he could not return home that evening) and purchased the razor at a local drug store. He gave it to me when he left the next day and I used it for the next 35 or so years.

Legion

Staff member
I'm nearly 38, and in my memory my father used an electric. My grandfather on my mothers side used an electric as well, until his death at 99.

My first shave was with a tech which I found in a bag of my fathers army stuff, so I guess he wet shaved at some point. Never showed me how, though.

My father used a trac II and barbasol in a can as far back as I can remember. I'm unsure what my grandfathers used. This thread has gotten me curious though. I'll have to ask my uncles if they remember.

I never spent time with my maternal grandfather when he was shaving & he passed when I was 11; before I started shaving. My paternal grandfather & I have never really been on good terms as he practically disowned my father & my grandmother ( his ex-wife ) and has nothing to do with us.

My father has always used either an electric or a cartridge. Right now he's using a Gillette Fusion even though he's on blood thinners & his doctors want him to use an electric.

While I don't have any history to go back on for what my parents and grandparents have used, I plan on keeping my stuff around so my kids ( if I ever have any ) will be able to take part in the experience.

I know that my Maternal Grandfather's Guardian (not father) used a straight razor once a week- This guy lived in a very basic farmhouse in ohio, so I'd imagine he'd represent the most bare bones shaving besides not shaving at all.

My Maternal Grandfather himself used a Super Speed with Gillette stainless blades from THE SPOILER I know this because he recognized both of my shaving implements one time and mentioned that those were the ones he used, he liked old spice shaving cream and accepted the aerosol can version of it- he also lamented the fact that even the aerosol can is now discontinued. I've since sent him a restored ever ready and a tube of Indian OS cream, which he can use for his quattro I suppose.

I don't know much about the Paternal Side at this point- my Dad was born in '47 and he couldn't start using a Trac II fast enough- he uses 2 blade bic disposables now and I've given up trying to get him onto the DE scene.

My dad was a barber--in fact, an Italian (actually, Sicilian) barber--with his own shop ("Joe's Barber Shop"), which had a bar ("The Green Door," which my dad rented to another proprietor) next door. I was known in the community as "Joe the Barber's son." My dad shaved with a straight razor, which of course he maintained along with his shop's equipment. From as early as I can remember (mid-1950s) he used canned shaving cream, along with Old Spice aftershave. I don't know why he didn't teach me how to shave; in fact he was a very caring father. My first shave (in 1964) was with a gold Gillette DE (hey, you guys probably know the model!), and I slashed hell out of my face. I remember the experience quite vividly. My dad then bought me a Remmington electric, which wasn't much more pleasant to use. In 1969 I grew a beard, which I wore until the summer of 2011; I started DE shaving a few months later. Here's really why I miss my dad: In the late 60s I grew the beard and long hair. Some of my dad's customers kind of gave him hell for that. My dad--despite his business interests--defended me. He kept the stubs of the checks he used to pay for my education at an elite public university. And late in life, as he was earning extra $ giving haircuts in his garage, he introduced me to a friend of his, saying "This is my son. He has his own office."

My dad was a barber--in fact, an Italian (actually, Sicilian) barber--with his own shop ("Joe's Barber Shop"), which had a bar ("The Green Door," which my dad rented to another proprietor) next door. I was known in the community as "Joe the Barber's son."

New London? I may have delivered The Day to your father's barber shop.

My dad was a barber--in fact, an Italian (actually, Sicilian) barber--with his own shop ("Joe's Barber Shop"), which had a bar ("The Green Door," which my dad rented to another proprietor) next door. I was known in the community as "Joe the Barber's son." My dad shaved with a straight razor, which of course he maintained along with his shop's equipment. From as early as I can remember (mid-1950s) he used canned shaving cream, along with Old Spice aftershave. I don't know why he didn't teach me how to shave; in fact he was a very caring father. My first shave (in 1964) was with a gold Gillette DE (hey, you guys probably know the model!), and I slashed hell out of my face. I remember the experience quite vividly. My dad then bought me a Remmington electric, which wasn't much more pleasant to use. In 1969 I grew a beard, which I wore until the summer of 2011; I started DE shaving a few months later. Here's really why I miss my dad: In the late 60s I grew the beard and long hair. Some of my dad's customers kind of gave him hell for that. My dad--despite his business interests--defended me. He kept the stubs of the checks he used to pay for my education at an elite public university. And late in life, as he was earning extra $ giving haircuts in his garage, he introduced me to a friend of his, saying "This is my son. He has his own office."

Thanks for sharing. Nice sentiment.

I remember my Dad using a Gillette adjustable, don't know whether it was a fatboy, or a slim. He used a palmolive shave stick and brush of unknown provenance. He used carts for the last few years. He passed away over 20 years ago - wish I knew what happened to the razor, I always remember playing around with it as a kid.

I'm pretty sure my grandfather used this Klenzo badger brush a few times :biggrin1:

Ben

Attachments

• $CIMG0260.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 62
Both my grandpas passed before I got interested into shaving but my dad used to use bar soap in his de days. He has a thought that it will cut you easily. He also used avon aftershave because my grandma used to sell it and he delivered it around town. I have askes how my mom's dad shave and i got "i think with the cheapest set up". So maybe a surrey, every-ready, or burma boar brush Something like Colgate or canned foam. And a cheap razor.

I think the routine of shaving really hasnt changed. Honestly think that most men of past generations. Only did one WTG or ATG the grain passes. Used cheap soap like how most of us used cheap canned foam. Saw it a another chore while splashing on their AS or WH. And used their blades too long because they didnt like the $1.50 they had to shell out to Gillette.

Last edited:
Top Bottom