What's new

Just got my flu shot for the year.

Occupational hazard - I work in the medical field for my day job.

Are you planning to get a flu shot this year?

I have to. It's something that's required for all active coast guard folks - not sure about the rest of the military.

I try to avoid it as much as I can though - it gets me sicker than if I never even got the shot.

Never for me...I was forced to get one,and a chest xray,on a stay at the hospital 2 years ago...I have had the flu 3 times the last 40 years,so I hope I have built some immunity.I see no reason to inject myself with fluids that usually contain preservatives and other chemicals such as mercury...Only 2/3 of U.S. flu vaccine does not contain liquid mercury...I'm out on that alone..

Got it Yesterday. Have been very skeptic about them, with inconsistent results. Last year I got a very good one. I can tell because everyone around me got sick at least one during the year and not me. So I happily got it again this year.

My employer tried to introduce (semi mandatory) flu shots for the personnel a few years ago ... after the public outcries, it looks like the plan disappeared in a bottom drawer somewhere :wink2:

My employer tried to introduce (semi mandatory) flu shots for the personnel a few years ago ... after the public outcries, it looks like the plan disappeared in a bottom drawer somewhere :wink2:
You have a responsible employer, our winter sick records are going through the roof. If half the people took the jab we wouldn't have such stressful winters in the office.

My parent unit is medical, so every year they herd us up and try to do 100% in quickest time possible just so they can make numbers.
I'm good with the shot, the flu mist is gross.

If I recall correctly every year is a new cocktail of stains and they try to see what strains will be effective every season. So its important that you get one every year because you may not have immunity for a previous or new strain.

I'd rather be ill for a couple of days than get that shot. I got one 9 years ago. It was mandatory where I worked at the time, it was not necessary for the line of work. I have been so ill. The next year I refused the shot, and had my employment threatened as a result. Long story short, my employer heard from the labor board and I soon left that company with a nice parting cheque. :001_tt2: (...try and force me to take a flu shot, hmpf.)

I used to avoid them but I would always get an aggressive flu a few times during the year. I finally got a flu shot last year (it might be a coincidence) but I was flu free for the full year.

Nope.

Last year and the 20 years before I avoided the flu by getting my old *** up at 0400 and putting in some work. That and eating right, drinking at least 1/2 gallon of water daily and getting good sleep helps me to fight off the flu. And I work in an occupation where I deal with sick people (mentally and physically) every work day.

When I was on active duty, I got the flu shot as a young man for 10 years. Of those ten years, I came down with the flu 8 times.

No thanks,

Frank

Top Bottom