What's new

Just finished my first Str8 shave...

Just finished my first str8 shave. Needless to say, it was less than perfect. I nicked myself twice, but they both were relatively minor (nothing worse than what I got with a DE).

However, I found that using the recommended right hand, right side a bit awkward at times. Is it really necessary to stick to this religiously or can you shave well and safely while fudging this a bit?

Also, is it detrimental to make one DE pass to polish it up at the end while you are learning? I have this urge to have a great shave, but don't want to do any thing that will slow my learning curve with the str8.

Use whatever hand you want. Whatever floats your boat. I went into straight shaving figuring no way would I use my left hand because I'm completely uncoordinated with it. After I started shaving I realized it was going to be incredibly awkward to shave my left side with my right hand. Do what you want, but personally I think it'd be much easier in the long run to use both hands. It wasn't that hard for me to pick up.

Sure you can use a DE if you want. I'd say just pay attention to where you need to use it that way you can focus on those areas in the future.

Like you, I'm new to shaving with a straight and had the same questions but with using my left hand. As it turns out, I had to use my left on the left side because of the awkwardness of using the right. I adapted fairly quick to this; although, I still use my right hand on some portions of the left side.

From my experience you will use the DE less and less as you get more experience with the str8. Don't let it bother you, this is supposed to be fun. Also use the hand you are comfortable with at this point. You may have to adjust your blade grip depending on which side of your face you are shaving. I use the traditional grip where I can and modify when I need to. Congrats one your first str8 shave.

dysko, congrats! Though there will be ups and downs on this journey I'll bet you're enjoying it at least as much as I do. Nicking becomes very rare with a bit of experience and all to eleminate then is irritation and getting a little bit smoother each shave.

Greetings Dysko,

In my experience, learning to use both hands will prove to be very rewarding - it's easier than you think. Once past the awkwardness you will find the resulting shave better and soon it becomes second nature.

Many finish off their shave with a DE as did I for a while. Once I set the DE aside and focused on my form it wasn't long before the DE wasn't needed.

mkevenson made an excellent point that shaving is to be enjoyable. Only you can determine what combination provides the best experience for you.

F

firebox

Use both hands. stretch the skin and save the DE for travel. Practice and a light touch will take care of it.

One of the cool benefits of using a straight is learning to use both hands. At this point, the razor feels equally comfortable in either hand.

Well, regardless of all the great advice the other chaps have given you, I have always used my left(dominant) hand ONLY. Once you get the hang of it, you will be amazed at how you can maneuver the blade around your face.

As for the DE on final pass, I never did this either. I don't even own one. It just takes practice, practice, and more (sometimes painful) practice. Keep at it!!

And keep coming back here to get a boost of confidence from time to time, you're going to need it! I started a thread in here about my first great shave after 3 painful months...and then subsequently had plenty of bad shaves after that! But believe me, it gets better. Now 4 months from when I began, I can confidently get a very good shave every time.

Cheers,
Nate

Sounds good... I think I am just going to do what feels right tomorrow and see how it turns out.

Seeing as I am in school, I think that I will forgo the DE touch up as much as I can stand... just to force myself to pay attention to the goofy looking patches of hair that begin to grow.

Thanks for the advice... I will provide updates, ask more question, and look for moral support as needed.

Thanks again.

Got shave #2 out of the way. I was amazed at how much better the shave was on the right side of my face. However, I am still lacking on the left... but that is not my dominant hand, so I guess it will take time.

Today's lesson... I had been warned, but learned for myself today that you should never place the blade on your face unless it is moving. I got a really small line across my neck. However, after I rinsed and put on the after shave you couldn't tell where it had been... just a very minor weeper.

I had time last night to take a good hour to shave...

I got a DFS. However, I clipped my face many times. So, while I was able to get a closer shave, I paid a price.

This is getting more interesting I begin to actually get a bit of form down. It seems that this is a process by which you make incremental steps.

The first step more me seems to be getting used to using my left hand.

I am thinking that my next step will be getting some sort of decent shave in the 2 square in spot right on the end of my chin.

Oh ya the dreaded chin.:eek: I don't think that I am alone when it comes to the chin being the most challenging part to shave with a str8. Unless of course it is the ATG lower lip, or right below the lower lip. Gives us something to strive for.:thumbup1:

Oh ya the dreaded chin.:eek: I don't think that I am alone when it comes to the chin being the most challenging part to shave with a str8. Unless of course it is the ATG lower lip, or right below the lower lip. Gives us something to strive for.:thumbup1:

I know the chin has been talked about in other threads, but just to let you know, I have the best luck when I go ACROSS the chin, while pulling my skin as taught as possible. This is a very tricky area for sure! Especially when you have a scar there like I do!

I know the chin has been talked about in other threads, but just to let you know, I have the best luck when I go ACROSS the chin, while pulling my skin as taught as possible. This is a very tricky area for sure! Especially when you have a scar there like I do!

Gave myself the makings of a chin scar last night, blade just skipped on an ATG pass on the point of my chin and the claret was released..

On the original topic, I felt awkward with my left hand at first also. Now, I consistently shave better with my left hand than with my right. Go Figure.

Gave myself the makings of a chin scar last night, blade just skipped on an ATG pass on the point of my chin and the claret was released..

Still a better story than:

proxy.php

I am finally really starting to get comfortable with my left hand... I am really enjoying the challenge of getting a good shave with a straight.

I love the idea that I am learning to do something that most men will never experience.

Still working on the chin... still a bit timid, but ATG seems to be the way to go for me as well.

Life is good!

Last edited:
However, I found that using the recommended right hand, right side a bit awkward at times. Is it really necessary to stick to this religiously or can you shave well and safely while fudging this a bit?

Here is the way I usually do it:

Right hand -Left side of neck and Right check
Left Hand - Right side of neck and Left check
This is a little awkward at first but you will get used to it.

I usually will do two passes WTG and two passes XTG. And if I really want a BBS on my neck I will get out a DE and do a couple of ATG passes.

Top Bottom