What's new

Just bought and used Acqua Di Parma.....

Well I went from the cheapest cream (£1.69 Ingrams menthol, 4 fantastic shaves in a row) to a very expensive cream (£36 for the ADP) and thought would share my own results.

The packaging is second to none, with the lovely round box, glass jar with silver lid and then the thin plactic cover over the cream to retain as much as the scent as possible. The scent is fantastic, lathered up nicely and easily enough for a 3-4 pass with no problems.

So the question is: if money was not a factor in it, would I buy it again? In my case no I will not be buying it again for as much as i was hoping this would be the most heavenly shave a man can get unfortunatly for me is just was not, I could tell during the 2nd pass that it was not gliding well on my face and was going to get red razor burn on my neck and was not going to make a 3rd pass with it or would really be suffering for days.

So what did I do? I washed the lather away and got out the Ingrams cream and made a 3rd and 4th pass with that and saved my skin from hell and only have a tiny bit of redness caused from the ADP.

Now for me to make a fair comparison between the post I started on the Ingrams shave, I used the same brush, razor, fresh blade (no name brand from Tesco I think) and was only the cream had changed.

Interesting results. I did a test between AoS unscented and AdP and did not find the AdP to be very good. It has me wondering whether I got a defective batch. It was almost wax like in its composition.

Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere is a very thick cream, denser I would say than Castle Forbes. Waxy would be one way of describing it. For that reason, only a miniscule amount is required to produce a well lubricating, protective lather. I have no problem with razor glide and moisturising is up there with my other favourite cream, Acca Kappa 1869. The scent is not to everyone's love, but I adore it. Because of it's thickness, I load my brush like a soap to just lightly cover the bristles. Nothing more than that is required. The small downside is the size of opening of the jar does not make that easy. The cost is, on the surface, extortionate, however in terms of how long it will last, the cost overall I believe, is not too bad. Would I buy another? Definitely yes, but that isn't going to be anytime soon- I've bearly dented it in approx 2 months.

David

AdP is way different than a normal cream. I had a great lather and shave and I have really been taking note of my lathers lately as everything I use seems to be drying out quickly.

For passes 2 and 3 I did have to add more water to the brush, but it was all good. I was even thinking of making this my go to shave cream.

AdP is way different than a normal cream. I had a great lather and shave and I have really been taking note of my lathers lately as everything I use seems to be drying out quickly.

For passes 2 and 3 I did have to add more water to the brush, but it was all good. I was even thinking of making this my go to shave cream.

AdP is very similar to Cella in that it does require more water than your average cream/soap. Use too little and it dries very quickly, even before finishing the first pass.

David

Top Bottom