• No

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • My razor doesn't give me feedback!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
An idea I have and would like others input/thoughts

Yesterday was the first time I have finished a shave with a DE that I started with a SR since Muddy's Meanderings; Which was the only other time since I started complete, two pass shaves. I received very little tactile or audible feedback with the DE razor. So while it was a solid DFS shave before the DE, if was extremely close to a BBS at that time.

I had been getting discouraged by no apparent improvement lately with my SR. I think now that I had been improving, just in very small, incremental steps. You might try occasionally following up a SR shave while learning with a DE pass, not to get a better shave, but to judge your improvement. If you don't get feedback from your razor . . .

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I voted "Maybe".

With a DE, I can often chase the perfect shave without causing irritation. Not so with a straight, as my skill level isn't up to it. So if have gotten a close shave with a straight or shavette, following it up with a DE to see how much I missed and where, I might do more harm than good by overshaving an area that's already irritated, but I haven't noticed yet.

Solid suggestion! Seems like it would certainly queue you in to problem areas that need attention. For me, it happens to be just underneath the jawline. My beard there grows back towards my ear, which makes for an interesting technique to shave. The only way I can shave that area BBS is to drop my head down a bit, and shave from ear to chin. Not the easiest to do, since you can't really stretch the skin, or see what you're doing :001_302:.

Solid suggestion! Seems like it would certainly queue you in to problem areas that need attention. For me, it happens to be just underneath the jawline. My beard there grows back towards my ear, which makes for an interesting technique to shave. The only way I can shave that area BBS is to drop my head down a bit, and shave from ear to chin. Not the easiest to do, since you can't really stretch the skin, or see what you're doing :001_302:.

My growth is identical. It grows 45° from chin to neck, center to outside. I hold my razor Kamisori style, shaving from the outside neck up to the chin. I’m left handed on the right and visa versa. I tend to need a slightly steeper shaving angle than I do on my cheeks. I’m almost BBS there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

absolutely “judge” the result but dont think to negatively. it’ll come with experience and the change will be more “revolutionary” than “evolutionary” imho. like a conscious change to technique or edge.

An idea I have and would like others input/thoughts

Yesterday was the first time I have finished a shave with a DE that I started with a SR since Muddy's Meanderings; Which was the only other time since I started complete, two pass shaves. I received very little tactile or audible feedback with the DE razor. So while it was a solid DFS shave before the DE, if was extremely close to a BBS at that time.

I had been getting discouraged by no apparent improvement lately with my SR. I think now that I had been improving, just in very small, incremental steps. You might try occasionally following up a SR shave while learning with a DE pass, not to get a better shave, but to judge your improvement. If you don't get feedback from your razor . . .

I've kind of rethought the whole SR use. While I enjoy using and maintaining a straight, I've been missing using the old Gillettes, Schicks, and GEM's of late. I'll probably be using more than one razor per shave soon. That Barbasaol Floating Head, Micromatic, Gillette Raised Flat Bottom, and 1916 Old Type are calling my name. :)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m approaching 300 now and my sr shaves are as close as my de shaves and have been more comfortable for a long time. If you keep at it with a sharp razor tweaking your technique trying different strokes etc. it will happen. Persistence and not getting discouraged is key.

I'm going with "No" on this. I judge my shaves by feel (rubbing fingers with and against the grain) and degree of sensitivity to touch during that process. In cases where I've irritated my skin, making another pass, even with a mild DE, sounds potentially painful and would provide minimal additional information. Not worth it in my opinion.

I don't understand the question or the poll...
Same here. While I find @Clay S to be an outstanding communicator and poster in every other thread that I have read, I wish he would clarify or summarize the question again here. (including the poll question "my razor doesn't give me feedback!" is that the DE razor?) Is the poll question asking is it a good idea to sometimes follow up the straight shave with a DE? I think something was left off or cut off in the opening post.

"my razor doesn't give me feedback!"
Yes. That would be the DE razor.

I guess due to my neuropathy in my hands, I can tell that I have stubble, and how many directions that the stubble can be felt in, I cannot tell how much stubble is present. It is a Pass/Fail test, with no graduation available when I check with my hands. My SR also doesn't provide useful feedback to me (perhaps a fuller grind would). My DE does provide audible and tactile feedback when I shave with it. SO after weeks of DFS SR shaves, where I thought no improvements were being made, I found out, by doing a DE shave after, that I was actually quite close to a BBS shave, because of the lack of feedback from my DE razor.

I not recommending following up after every SR shave, just every so often to check for improvement.

I've experimented quite a bit just for grins. I've used the Feather first, the GEM first, the DE first, and another SR first. I've done the same in reverse and used last. My experience says that the first pass is the most important. I simply must have a sharp enough tool to reduce the growth so that subsequent passes are effective.

I used to think I got a better result with safety type, but now I realized the SR shave lasts as long as the safety type.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yes. That would be the DE razor.

I guess due to my neuropathy in my hands, I can tell that I have stubble, and how many directions that the stubble can be felt in, I cannot tell how much stubble is present. It is a Pass/Fail test, with no graduation available when I check with my hands. My SR also doesn't provide useful feedback to me (perhaps a fuller grind would). My DE does provide audible and tactile feedback when I shave with it. SO after weeks of DFS SR shaves, where I thought no improvements were being made, I found out, by doing a DE shave after, that I was actually quite close to a BBS shave, because of the lack of feedback from my DE razor.

I not recommending following up after every SR shave, just every so often to check for improvement.
I believe a finer grind like an extra hollow would give you more audible feedback. They are quite noisy.

I’d vote no. I just do two passes daily and let it go. Over the decades I’ve refined my technique where that produces a BBS 90% of the time and DFS the rest.

Irritation is your worst enemy when you shave daily. I do everything I can to make sure it does not happen

When judging the results I find you get a better read about a half hour after your shave. Hot water, soap, dermabrasion from brush and blade all cause minute swelling and raising of the hair follicles immediately post shave.

I’d vote no. I just do two passes daily and let it go. Over the decades I’ve refined my technique where that produces a BBS 90% of the time and DFS the rest.

Irritation is your worst enemy when you shave daily. I do everything I can to make sure it does not happen

When judging the results I find you get a better read about a half hour after your shave. Hot water, soap, dermabrasion from brush and blade all cause minute swelling and raising of the hair follicles immediately post shave.

It was mainly meant for people learning to SR shave. With decades experience, you don't need to see minute gains in shave ability. At 20 - ?? shaves, you get(at least I get) DFS if going well, less if not. BBS isn't on the menu, probably never will be for me unless I figure out an ATG pass on a W-E throat/neck/underchin/adams apple

It was mainly meant for people learning to SR shave. With decades experience, you don't need to see minute gains in shave ability. At 20 - ?? shaves, you get(at least I get) DFS if going well, less if not. BBS isn't on the menu, probably never will be for me unless I figure out an ATG pass on a W-E throat/neck/underchin/adams apple

I think when learning with a straight it is important to get that daily routine down. Minimizing irritation helps you do that. When I started in my teens there were days I went out with patches, stubble etc. Over time you learn how to catch those spots. Repetition and muscle memory are the most important things to develop. Your fingers during a cold water rinse will tell you as much as a DE blade with no chance of irritation. Again as in shaving YMMV.

I think when learning with a straight it is important to get that daily routine down. Minimizing irritation helps you do that. When I started in my teens there were days I went out with patches, stubble etc. Over time you learn how to catch those spots. Repetition and muscle memory are the most important things to develop. Your fingers during a cold water rinse will tell you as much as a DE blade with no chance of irritation. Again as in shaving YMMV.

I don't irritate my skin when shaving. I might cut myself, but I don't get razor burn. I've always been able to shave multiple times a day, even when first learning DEs. My fingers don't tell me as much as the DE does, I guess it is the neuropathy. Guess I should have learned it when I was young.

Happy Shaves!

Your idea of sometimes following up with a DE as way to measure progress sounds very reasonable.

I also use touch to determine how close or not I am getting, but your comments about neuropathy make me wonder if there is any/enough sound to also help? That is a question I cannot answer myself as I don't remember how much noise there might be on a wet face just after shaving. In contrast to a dry face 12 hours later where one can both feel and hear the amount of stubble as your finger passes over.

Top Bottom