What's new

J's Straight Razor Shave Journal

Shave 22 -- 7/27

Today was my first time using Cella! Cella pleases me. I like it lots. I've always been attracted to that sweet almond scent, and even the ambiguous nature of what the heck it is is a bit compelling. Soft soap, or hard cream? It is whatever you want it to be. To me it is a soft soap. It lathers great and is slick as you please!

Another DFS in the bank today, with a couple of minor weepers. Today's shave went as usual, but I incorporated a bit of ATG into the mix. The passes were actually SW to NE so not actually ATG, but close. It felt natural and the flat bits on my cheeks were smoother as a result once finished.

Not sure if my BST shenanigans over the weekend were witnessed by anyone here but I have some goodies on the way. I'll be sure to link to my 'The Score' thread once said goodies land at my door!

That's funny, I have also been experimenting with this type of pass: SW to NE, on my face and found it to be very effective. I also had some luck at an antiques dealer in town and got myself a Tuckmar Silver Steel/Solingen with what must have been a striped mother of pearl and wood scales where all the wooden bits had fallen off. With a bit of luck it was a real bargain at about 3€, that is, if my honer does not write it off as a dead loss.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Cella is great, I love it in the Winter!!

Shave 22 -- 7/27

Today was my first time using Cella! Cella pleases me. I like it lots. I've always been attracted to that sweet almond scent, and even the ambiguous nature of what the heck it is is a bit compelling. Soft soap, or hard cream? It is whatever you want it to be. To me it is a soft soap. It lathers great and is slick as you please!

Another DFS in the bank today, with a couple of minor weepers. Today's shave went as usual, but I incorporated a bit of ATG into the mix. The passes were actually SW to NE so not actually ATG, but close. It felt natural and the flat bits on my cheeks were smoother as a result once finished.

Not sure if my BST shenanigans over the weekend were witnessed by anyone here but I have some goodies on the way. I'll be sure to link to my 'The Score' thread once said goodies land at my door!

Haven't tried Cella and not going to...nope...I will resist! Besides, I want to spring for some Martin de Candre in the Fall. That soap alone will be enough to put me back awhile :lol:

Shave 23 -- 7/28

On my last shave I noticed that the old 6/8 wade & butcher was dragging a bit so it thought id have a go at the balsa stick that I got from Larry with my first straight. I did 25 laps on the .01 chromium oxide, then 30 on felt, and rounded it out with 30 on a leather strop. Today's shave went well as usual, but more irritation than usual! I'm wondering if I should have done more laps on the strop after the chromium oxide paste... I guess I should have read up on how to use the stuff before I started using it! Oops! :blushing:

On the topic of whether I will continue using straights after my self imposed straight razor month is up... Well, Scuba could probably answer that as well as I could! Let's just say my straight razor collection got a recent shot in the arm! I will have pictures posted along with my gushing commentary of the goods in the next day or so for your viewing pleasure. :thumbup:

No Cella, Chris? I'm in the running for a free kilo of the stuff from bullgoose. If I win, I'll break you off a corner and mail it to ya. Then we'll see how long you can hold out. :lol:

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Haven't tried Cella and not going to...nope...I will resist! Besides, I want to spring for some Martin de Candre in the Fall. That soap alone will be enough to put me back awhile :lol:

Cella is great! Easy to lather and excellent in winter IMO (no menthol). I like my Proraso in summer...

Martin de Candre is all right but didn't like the scent one bit. On the French forums, they swear by it... IMO, (YMMV insert here), Monsavon is much better!

Shave 23 -- 7/28

On my last shave I noticed that the old 6/8 wade & butcher was dragging a bit so it thought id have a go at the balsa stick that I got from Larry with my first straight. I did 25 laps on the .01 chromium oxide, then 30 on felt, and rounded it out with 30 on a leather strop. Today's shave went well as usual, but more irritation than usual! I'm wondering if I should have done more laps on the strop after the chromium oxide paste... I guess I should have read up on how to use the stuff before I started using it! Oops! :blushing:

On the topic of whether I will continue using straights after my self imposed straight razor month is up... Well, Scuba could probably answer that as well as I could! Let's just say my straight razor collection got a recent shot in the arm! I will have pictures posted along with my gushing commentary of the goods in the next day or so for your viewing pleasure. :thumbup:

No Cella, Chris? I'm in the running for a free kilo of the stuff from bullgoose. If I win, I'll break you off a corner and mail it to ya. Then we'll see how long you can hold out. :lol:

I usually do 30 linen/60 leather. Did it feel like it was pulling? It might be a bit too much pressure without you noticing...

Shaves 24 - 26

Those who have been following my journal from the beginning will know that I resolved to put down my DE's, and use straight razors for a full month. My grand experiment was a success! I passed my one month milestone today. I didn't once falter on my way to my goal, and what a month it's been! I started out tentatively, and had some early stumbles. Soon I felt I was beginning to get the hang of this straight razor business, and it was off to the races. I am now getting consistent DFS shaves. BBS still seems a ways off, but once I work out my ATG passes, or pseudo ATG passes a bit BBS should then be within striking distance. I view this learning curve as more of a marathon than a sprint, and I am content to take my time learning all of the nuances of straight shaving.

After using straights exclusively for a month, I have decided that straight shaving will be my daily method of shaving, while using DE's only if pressed for time, or if I need a quick fix with my Aristocrat #16 or my New and Improved Bostonian. :thumbup:

After one month on the straights, I currently own no fewer than 10 razors. Last week on the BST, chainfire offered a straight razor mystery box. The mystery box added no fewer than 8 razors to my collection. There were some names in there that I'm sure you all will be familiar with! I finally got around to taking pictures of the contents of the mystery box, and hope to have them posted tomorrow!

On to the shaves! Not much new to report. On shave 25 I did nick my right nostril a bit... That one was a bleeder! The shaves continue to go well, and I am beginning to suspect that I need to hit my Wade Butcher with some chromium powder or the like, as it does seem to be pulling more than I remember.

Thanks to all for your encouragement and support over my first month. I'm really excited about how this next month will go! :thumbup:

Luc

Staff member
Sounds like it's getting better and the stropping helped! :thumbup1:

Since your skills are getting more consistent, have you thought about using the more advanced strokes with you straights? Scythe, guillotine, j-hook, etc? I found my shaves improved in closeness and quickness (went from 3 to 2 passes) when incorporating them into my routine.

After one month on the straights, I currently own no fewer than 10 razors. Last week on the BST, chainfire offered a straight razor mystery box. The mystery box added no fewer than 8 razors to my collection. There were some names in there that I'm sure you all will be familiar with!

Ahem.....I hate you..... :lol:

congrats, sounds like you are well ahead of schedule on the learning curve, working in the ATG before the end of one month is impressive. i am finally just getting it down to be sorta routine after three months. just the other day i realized i was just having my morning shave vs. learning how to do a bunch of stuff every day. nice to have a little extra time to just pick out a trouble area and work on refinement. i can see where that might apply for a while. sorry to hear about the nostril. ouch.

Well I have to say this has inspired me. So far I've been rotating day about between DE and straight but I think I need to put some intensive time in on my straights to get my technique down. So after a good straight shave this morning I won't be touching my DE till September.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Since your skills are getting more consistent, have you thought about using the more advanced strokes with you straights? Scythe, guillotine, j-hook, etc? I found my shaves improved in closeness and quickness (went from 3 to 2 passes) when incorporating them into my routine.

I have contemplated it for sure! I am on vacation from work this week, and have plans to work around the house- and not much else. During my downtime I plan to watch some shave videos and teach this dog a few tricks!

Ahem.....I hate you..... :lol:

Get in line, buddy! :lol:

Well I have to say this has inspired me. So far I've been rotating day about between DE and straight but I think I need to put some intensive time in on my straights to get my technique down. So after a good straight shave this morning I won't be touching my DE till September.

Thanks for the inspiration!

You are VERY welcome! My intent with posting this thread was to help keep my motivation, learn some things from the local experts. Also, assuming the experiment went well, to assist or serve as inspiration to the newer straight shavers. Mission accomplished on all counts! Thanks for the thanks, and please keep us "posted" with your progress!!! :thumbup:

Lastly, I hope to have pictures of the mystery boxes' contents posted soon. I have never photographed straights, and am having a heck of a time getting any reasonable pictures. I'll give it another go today and hopefully have something to show off. I'm hoping someone here can identify a few that I'm not sure about!

Last edited:
Hello. I'm glad to hear that your new experience with the straight razor is going so well. How are you liking the razor you bought from me?

Terry, that Wade and Butcher is absolutely great! I have 3 other shave ready straight razors, and today was the first time I could pull myself away from the WB to try one of my other shave readies. It will be the benchmark to beat for some time in my stable. I absolutely love it! :001_wub:

Lastly, I hope to have pictures of the mystery boxes' contents posted soon. I have never photographed straights, and am having a heck of a time getting any reasonable pictures. I'll give it another go today and hopefully have something to show off. I'm hoping someone here can identify a few that I'm not sure about!

I'd love to see what was int that box...

i am no photo pro, but maybe forgo the regular flash for some side lamp lighting or something like that. I think I saw some of the SOTD guys setups that was a big sheet of paper/fabric and lit by something other than (or maybe in addition to) the the camera flash.

BTW, have you noticed that it is easier to learn to make passes on shorter beard vs like 2 or more beard? I am wondering if my blade edge is just not there.

I know, I'm terrible. I think the problem lies with the fact that I fancy myself a photographer, and want to do a good job. Pictures will be up by end of day tomorrow, or I'm a monkey's uncle!

*edit*. Oh crap, I had better deliver, I'd hate for the mods to, er, make me a monkey's uncle. Lol.

Last edited:
I know, I'm terrible. I think the problem lies with the fact that I fancy myself a photographer, and want to do a good job. Pictures will be up by end of day tomorrow, or I'm a monkey's uncle!

*edit*. Oh crap, I had better deliver, I'd hate for the mods to, er, make me a monkey's uncle. Lol.

Bah...just post the pics Michaelangelo! Geeze...you're not painting the Sistine here...:lol:

Top Bottom