What's new

Journey to 100 blades (journal)

Blade 28: Astra SS

Asta Stainless (2).jpg

Tuesday was the turn of the Astra SS. I've never been a fan of the SP but the SS is a completely different story! It's just as smooth as the SP but much sharper and pairs up nicely in a FaTip Gentile. The result was a close, irritation free shave with no Alum feedback. It feels like it's right on the edge between a Sharp/Smooth and Very Sharp/Smooth blade so it will be interesting to see how it progresses.

Shave 2 with the Astra SS today in the Piccolo Gentile. An extra days growth again today but it's still feeling very smooth and possibly a touch sharper. Very pleasant and close three pass shave. One tiny spot of irritation but it feels more like a spot that's been irritated so no fault on the blade.

Birthday shave today and shave 3 with the Astra SS in my FaTip. I'm really enjoying this combination, it's a nice and sharp blade (although not quite up to Israeli Red or BIC's sharpness) and paired with the FaTip it is very smooth! Still one shave to go but it's moved ahead of the 7 O'Clock Yellow in my FaTip blade rankings.

Shave 4 with the Astra SS, just a single pass shave today but it still felt very smooth. It doesn't feel as sharp as it did on shaves 2 and 3 but it's still sharp enough for a close enough single pass shave. A touch of irritation around my neck (very common for me) but no sting from the alum so I don't expect it to last. Overall I've been impressed with the Astra SS, for me it's a smooth and sharp blade that I would happily use again.

Blade 29: Sharp Star

sharp star.jpg

I finally got around to trying out one of the 50 Sharp Star blades I bought a while ago on a whim given their rarity and the price I found them for. They were made by Mostochlegmash along with Rapira, Ladas and Voskhod blades but from what I've read only in 2012 and only for the UAE market. I loaded it into my FaTip Piccolo Gentile and had a very smooth first shave. It was sharp enough for a close shave but not quite in the BIC/Feather category of sharp more like a Gillette Platinum or 7 O'Clock Yellow so likely one I'll keep for my less mild razors although I am hoping it sharpens up over the next couple of shaves as the coating wears off. I ended up with a touch of irritation on my neck (not uncommon) but no Alum sting so I don't expect the irritation to last long.

Shave two with the Sharp Star today and another excellent shave. The blade feels slightly sharper today but just as smooth as it did on shave 1. It feels similar to the Astra SS in this razor although not quite a close a shave today (not sure if its prep, lather or blade related) but still a close enough shave with no irritation or Alum feedback.

Shave three with Sharp Star today and another excellent shave with this combination. The blade is slightly sharper than shave 2 and still nice and smooth. I don't usually shave two days in a row but we were out for dinner tonight without the kids so I decided to make the extra effort! Two and a half pass shave (extra pass across my face but missing out my neck) and despite shaving yesterday I had no irritation or alum feedback.

Shave four with the Sharp Star today and another excellent shave. The blade still feels sharp (about the same as on shave 3) and is still nice and smooth. No feedback or alum sting today but I've noticed a couple of small ingrown hairs appear to be resurfacing, they usually disappear within a day though so not a major issue. Overall the Sharp Star has provided excellent shaves, to me it was similar to the Astra SS in this razor although maybe not quite as sharp (not much in it though). I'll be trying out another Sharp Star in my new Gentile Slant next and seeing how it compares to the standard Gentile.

Blade 30: Voskhod

zok.jpg

Shaving with my FaTip Slant this week and loaded up a fresh Voskhod. I'm still struggling to get the blade aligned evenly in the slant between both sides (one side always seems to have a larger blade gap, the other has less blade gap but more blade exposure). Using a blade with glue spots probably didn't help either!
Shaving with the milder side of the slant I got a pretty good shave with the Voskhod, it felt quite sharp (not in BIC territory but similar to an Astra SS on shave 1) and it feels very smooth.

Shave 2 with the Voskhod today, after shave 1 I ended up with some next day irritation and it flared up again today. It looks like its coming from a few ingrowns and nicks but I'm not sure what's caused it as this feels like a sharp and smooth combination. Hopefully it clears up by tomorrow and the last couple of shaves are better!

Shave 3 with the Voskhod today and after my last couple of shaves I decided to opt for a three pass shave above my jaw line and a single WTG pass on my neck due to the lingering irritation and ingrown hairs that are being a bit stubborn! The end result was much better today, no flare up today and no new irritation has appeared.
I think Haslinger Schafmilch may have also played a part in the improved shave today, it was my first time using this soap and it provided a fantastic lather (thick, slick and cushioned) with excellent residual slickness and post shave feel!

Shave 4 with the Voskhod today for a single pass and it again felt like a sharp and smooth combination. No irritation or Alum sting but there still a couple of lingering ingrowns from earlier in the week.
Overall its been a bit of a strange week, while its the Voskhod in my slant has felt like a sharp and smooth combination, the ingrown hairs and irritation would suggest otherwise. I think it's one I'll probably revisit in the future and in other razors.

Blade 31: Derby Premium

derby.jpg

I decided to load the Derby Premium into my Muhle Rocca but shave 1 was not a great shave! It didn't feel like the smoothest of blades (although it didn't feel rough) and it didn't feel like the sharpest of blades, similar to a Parker Premium Platinum. It wasn't the closest of shaves but I've ended up with some soreness and irritation on one side of me neck. Hopefully it goes away during the day! I'll give it one more try before I decide if I'm chucking it or not and moving on!

Quick update on yesterday's shave. Irritation had pretty much disappeared by lunch time and my face feels fine this morning (possibly a couple of ingrowns appearing which usually means the blade wasn't as sharp as I like and a bit tuggy and has ripped some hairs out).

Shave 2 with the Derby Premium today and a better shave! I just had time for a quick single pass shave this morning, but it was a much better shave with the Rocca/Derby Premium combination. It felt sharper and a bit smoother than on shave 1 and I had no irritation today (although I have some ingrown hairs have appeared shave 1 with this razor/blade that are being a bit stubborn).

Shave 3 with the Derby Premium today and a pretty decent shave! The blade has sharpened up again today compared to shave 2 and still feels quite smooth. It's lack of initial sharpness and the fact I find other blades smoother means it will likely never be near a top tier blade for me, but at least I got a decent shave out of it today!

Top Bottom