What's new

Journey to 100 blades (journal)

Shave 4 with the Derby Premium and another good shave in the Rocca. Similar sharpness and smoothness to shave 3 and no irritation or Alum sting. Just the first shave that really let this blade down for me!

Blade 32: Gillette Nacet

20220128_073750.jpg

I'm planning on trying out some sharper blades in the FaTip Gentile over the next few weeks with the Nacet being up first and I had an excellent first shave today. The Nacet was very sharp out of the wrapper (sharper than a fresh BIC Chrome Platinum) and it's also very smooth in the Gentile. I was a bit worried about aligning the blade in the FaTip with glue spots being present but I didn't have any issues with this today. Overall a pleasant and close shave with no irritation or Alum sting.

Shave 2 with the Nacet today and another excellent shave. The blade is sharper than on shave 1 and just as smooth. So far it's on a par with the BIC Chrome I used in this razor last week which is impressive as the BIC is a top tier blade for me. Overall a close shave with no irritation or Alum sting.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Have only used one Nacet and several Bic Chrome Platinum blades in a Fatip open comb and already like the Nacet more (still like the Bics, but the N = 1 Nacet is very nice).

Have only used one Nacet and several Bic Chrome Platinum blades in a Fatip open comb and already like the Nacet more (still like the Bics, but the N = 1 Nacet is very nice).
I have a feeling these two blades could swap places for me depending on the razor I am using, both very sharp and smooth! I have Perma-sharp, 7 O'Clock Black and Gillette London Bridge coming up next and I'm going to re-try a Feather in this razor as well. They all fall into the very sharp category as well so I am intrigue to see how they all compare in this razor.

Shave 3 with the Nacet today and another excellent shave. It feels slightly sharper than it did on shaves 1 and 2 but still just as smooth. Still one shave to go, but I could quite happily buy a 100 pack of these!

Shave 4 with the Nacet and a final excellent shave. It's still a very sharp and smooth blade (no noticeable difference from the last shave) and I had another close and irritation free shave with no Alum Sting. It has easily moved into my "Top Tier" of blades when paired up with the FaTip Gentile.

Blade 32: Gillette Perma-sharp

perma.jpg

Shave 1 with a Perma-sharp today and an impressive first outing. It feels very sharp and very smooth, at times it even felt like there was no blade in the razor. It feels similar to both the BIC Chrome Platinum and Nacet I've recently used on this razor so it could be another top tier blade for me if this continues. Over a close and pleasant shave with no irritation.

Blade 32: Gillette Perma-sharp

View attachment 1418077

Shave 1 with a Perma-sharp today and an impressive first outing. It feels very sharp and very smooth, at times it even felt like there was no blade in the razor. It feels similar to both the BIC Chrome Platinum and Nacet I've recently used on this razor so it could be another top tier blade for me if this continues. Over a close and pleasant shave with no irritation.
Correction, Blade 33: Gillette Perma-sharp

Shave 2 with the Perma-sharp today and another excellent shave. The blade feels sharper today than it did on shave 1 but it is still very smooth in this razor. A close 3 pass shave with no irritation or Alum sting.

On another note, I'm enjoying using the FaTip Gentile so much that I've ordered it's big brother the Grande.

Shave 3 with the Perma-sharp today and yet another excellent shave. The blade feels sharper again today than it did on shaves 1 and 2 and is still very smooth. Another close 3 pass shave with no irritation or Alum sting.

Shave 4 with the Perma-sharp today and yet another pleasant shave. Just a single pass shave today but the blade still feels very sharp and smooth. A close enough shave for a single pass with no irritation or Alum sting.

Overall the Perma-sharp was on par with the Nacet and BIC Chrome Platinum in this razor. I could happy shave with all three of them! Likely trying a Feather tomorrow in this razor, but not a "new" blade for me so won't be writing a review in my journal.

Blade 34: Gillette London Bridge

london bridge.jpg

This was an old British brand that was owned by Wilkinson Sword, Gillette has since re-launched the brand out one of their Chinese factories and markets them in Asia (where they retain the rights to Wilkinson Sword).

Shave 1 and this blade is very sharp! To me it felt easily as sharp as the Nacet, BICs and Feather I've tried recently in this razor and still very smooth. I ended up with a very pleasant, close and irritation free shave with almost no Alum sting. I did end up with a couple of tiny weepers that disappeared with just a cold water splash but it didn't affect my shave.

Shave 2 with the London Bridge today and another excellent shave. It is still very sharp and very smooth, possibly sharper than shave 1 and also possibly smoother. A close and irritation free shave with no weepers today and no Alum feedback. After 2 shaves this is definitely a top tier blade, hopefully it stays like this for the last two shaves!

Shave 3 with the London Bridge, and it is still very sharp! It also felt smoother again today to the point there was often no blade feel at all in the FaTip. A nice close shave with no Alum sting but I ended up with a bit of irritation around my adams apple. I did use a menthol soap and menthol witch hazel so I think it is possible a reaction to all that menthol as opposed to the blade! It it was related to the blade I would have expected the alum to let me know!

Shave 4 with the London Bridge and another excellent shave. It's still very sharp and it's still very smooth. Another close shave with no Alum feedback and no irritation. The irritation from the last shave disappeared by the end of the day so I am leaning towards it being a menthol overload for my skin! Planning on a final single pass with this blade on Sunday and then onto the 7 O'Clock Black.

Blade 35: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black)

20220411_084527.jpg

Shave 1 with the 7 O'Clock Black today and a pleasant first shave. It's not as sharp on shave 1 as the other blades I've been using recently in this razor, probably closer to an Astra SS or Sharp Star in terms of sharpness but it's still sharp enough for a close shave and it's also very smooth. Overall a good first shave with no irritation or Alum feedback. Based on refinedshave, I am expecting it to sharpen up over the next couple of shaves.

Shave 2 with the 7 O'Clock Black and it felt just as smooth today but significantly sharper (possible on par with a BIC or Nacet). Pleasant shave again today, that felt a touch closer than shave 1 and I didn't feel like I had to re-lather and go over any areas at the end. No irritation and no alum sting apart from a small spot that I took the head off of.

Shave 3 with the 7 O'Clock Black and another very smooth shave. It feels like it's dialled back in sharpness (still sharper than shave 1 but not as sharp as shave 2) but it's still very sharp and gives a close shave. No irritation again today and no alum sting (apart from the same spot that I again took the head off of!)

Shave 4 with the 7 O'Clock Black. The blade doesn't feel as sharp as it did on shaves 1-3 but it was still very smooth and sharp enough for a comfortable single pass shave. No irritation or Alum feedback but overall this blade (in this razor) is sitting just outside my top tier due to the difference in sharpness between shaves.

Top Bottom