What's new

John Varvatos Shave Cream and Shave Gel

I tried to find some info on these products that I just picked up for $9.99 each at TJ Maxx. They regularly sell for $36+ at Amazon.com now. Is this a brushless cream? I figured I'd give my son the gel for his 15 year old growth. Any insight appreciated!

Well, I got the goods home. This is a brushless cream. Like the brushless creams from Lush, Razorantium and Shave the Planet, it gives plenty of cushion and glide, and it comes off very much the same way it goes on. You will see lines of light green cream in your sink (looks like hand lotion) after rinsing the razor. It is advertised as odorless and has very little scent, unlike the Lush products. It leaves a residue on your razor. Your face will feel very moisturized. If you like brushless cream every once in awhile, this'll work, but it isn't worth the $9.99 I paid, never mind the $36 some online vendors are asking.

Funny this came back up today. I was in TJ Maxx and I could no longer find it on the shelves. Maybe it was a last ditch effort to get rid of the stock? Anyway, I haven't tried the gel. It is in my son's medicine cabinet. I do use the Varvatos brushless cream once or twice a week for an evening shave, and it performs as well as the Lush creams I have, but I like the scent of the Lush stuff, especially Prince of Shaves, which has a citrusy scent, better. For $5, I think you got a super deal. It is half of what I paid and a seventh, I think, of what it retailed for originally.

I used the Varvatos Shave Gel today with an Atra razor. It was a good shave, but definitely not worth $36 of spectacular. I like the tub that it came in, but I think the $1 tube of Shave Gel I get at the Dollar Tree is slicker and better. There is a review of that Dollar Tree shave gel on this site. Still for $5 I am not complaining, but more often than not I will use my VDH soap or my puck of Tabac for those serious occassions.

Top Bottom