What's new

Jeremy Fragrances

IMO I think he is a decent to great fragrance reviewer who has a nose that is good but he only reviews CERTAIN segments of the fragrance world, which I don't like. He always reviews the big shot and glamorous fragrances trying to market his " brand " further and has never really been a serious reviewer. He's a lot like one of those snobs who is in the middle class and thinks they're big-time cos they bought a Mercedes-Benz when anybody with real taste splurges and spends the money on something like a Jaguar or a Lincoln. He is flash and fluff and I would appreciate him more if he was more sophisticated.
That being said I would never buy anything from a guy who is an obvious salesman like him for various reasons, chief of all that his " expertise " could only dazzle somebody who obviously knows nothing about fragrances and definitely doesn't have the nose for it. Male model indeed he lives off his looks... my friends there is a VERY good reason why he is the top-rated fragrance reviewer on Youtube. Have you SEEN the people who review fragrances on Youtube?! Who would you rather buy from, Jeremy or Redollescensce even though Redollescence actually puts the time and effort into reviewing a fragrance and breaks down the minutuae of it into a tedious video?
Jeremy knows his stuff but his reviews are mediocre at best. He's down enough to get by, which is just enough for most people.

IMO I think he is a decent to great fragrance reviewer who has a nose that is good but he only reviews CERTAIN segments of the fragrance world, which I don't like. He always reviews the big shot and glamorous fragrances trying to market his " brand " further and has never really been a serious reviewer. He's a lot like one of those snobs who is in the middle class and thinks they're big-time cos they bought a Mercedes-Benz when anybody with real taste splurges and spends the money on something like a Jaguar or a Lincoln. He is flash and fluff and I would appreciate him more if he was more sophisticated.
That being said I would never buy anything from a guy who is an obvious salesman like him for various reasons, chief of all that his " expertise " could only dazzle somebody who obviously knows nothing about fragrances and definitely doesn't have the nose for it. Male model indeed he lives off his looks... my friends there is a VERY good reason why he is the top-rated fragrance reviewer on Youtube. Have you SEEN the people who review fragrances on Youtube?! Who would you rather buy from, Jeremy or Redollescensce even though Redollescence actually puts the time and effort into reviewing a fragrance and breaks down the minutuae of it into a tedious video?
Jeremy knows his stuff but his reviews are mediocre at best. He's down enough to get by, which is just enough for most people.

Agree 100%. If you haven't stumbled upon Aaron Terrence Hughes, he is the polar opposite of Jeremy. He makes his own frags as well but mainly focuses on reviewing others. He appears kinda crazy but goes full-out nerdy explaining scents, even naming the precise chemicals used where appropriate. Here's a good comparison of various versions of Kouros.

I just stumbled upon a Jeremy dancing tik tok, which I guess is a part of a Jeremy Fragrance ad campaign. Just my impression, and perhaps it is wrong of me, but Jeremy seems to be getting more and more eccentric. I think part of the concept of his fragrances--Office and Date--are that they are fragrances that you cannot go wrong with. That is, that if you wear Office to the office, no one is going to think you are wearing something wholly inappropriate. That you have good and appropriate taste in what scent to wear to a semi-formal--shall we say--setting. And that if you wear Date on a date, your date is going to at the least think what you are wearing is appropriate and fashionable, if she ("he," I suppose) does not absolutely love it, which I think is something Jeremy is holding out as a possibility. In other words, part of the the sales pitch is that one can rely on Jeremy's sense of good and pleasing taste to help indicate you are someone other folks might like to be around.

To me, these dance Tik Toks would make me think he seems like a guy others might avoid. (His suits are nice, although he seems to be wearing them in too tight a fit, which exaggerates just how skinny he is, which is not a good thing for him, and his grooming is good. But his dance moves are kind of scary, at least to me. Maybe things are different in the German clubs these days.) It makes me a little sad. I liked him as a fragrance reviewer.

Aaron Terrence Hughes is well-worth watching. That is a really great video on Kouros current and vintage. I really like the detail he goes into re ingredients. He is so right about Kouros.

He has his own style, but I am not at all put off by it. I guess I do not see him as offering himself as a personal example of how one should come across on a date. Actually, along those lines, he comes across as very genuine, frank, and self-deprecating, which I think is inherently appealing on a date, at least more than whatever the heck Jeremy is trying to be. Great video. Makes me want to buy ATH's stuff. Not sure I would I would wear it to the office or on a date without really trying it out first!

One could ask why I would care about any of this!

I watched a bunch more ATH videos. I had watched him before, but had not paid that much attention. He seems very good to me. I think I would take his advice on what to wear to the office and on a date. I do not think he is holding himself out as the type of guy who would be a lot like a more successful me in either forum, like I think Jeremy is, but I think ATH has put some effort and thought into scents and would know!

I watched some more ATH, and I am revising my opinion. I find him entertaining and his comments useful, albeit rather subjective, but in blind sniffing he does not recognize such scents as Creed Aventus, Bois du Portugal, GIT, and Royal Mayfair. I think even I could do that, although identifying scents is tough. In fairness, he was not being asked to identify them, but to evaluate them.

IMHO, you don't need an expert to advise you on a good fragrance for the office or a date, especially not male models and madmen who seem to exist in a world of their own.

you don't need an expert to advise you on a good fragrance for the office or a date

Well, I do not know whether I personally do or not. It has been a long time since I was dating, and I am old enough that is I wear something to the office that smells like an old man fragrance or is outdated, folks will as likely as not find that apt, even if that was not the image I was going for. And I am confident I am not going to over do it. I know I do not mind the analysis of someone whose nose and tastes I trust, or at least someone whose nose and tastes I am familiar with. I can adjust for things I know I do not agree with.

But I will say I am sure there are plenty of folks out there who could definitely use some advice from someone as to what fragrance to wear on a date or to the office, whether they are aware that they need that advice or not.

Bringing the thread back around to the original topic, You Tube actually has a video of ATH reviewing Office and Date. I could not tell whether he liked them or not! He seemed to criticize them for various reasons and then say at the end that he liked them a lot, Date more than Office, apparently. Seemed like a confusing review to me.

I also watched his review of Gucci Rush, a discontinued very culty these days scent that I really like, but do not often wear. He really likes it, but for subjective reasons relating to the time of his life when it was prevalent and he was wearing it, which I get, but does not help me much. I think to some extent he is implying what I probably really think, which is that it is a bit dated. I thought what he had to say about the notes was good and accurate, but very succinct. I suppose I find ATH more entertaining to watch and I appreciate his enthusiasm, more that I find, so far, that he is a helpful scent reviewer for my purposes.

I do think he nailed Kouros.

Well, I do not know whether I personally do or not...

I am really just commenting on the whole idea of a You Tube personality as a fragrance expert, and his whole shtick. His concept seems to be you should wear a fragrance to make other people like you, to get compliments, attract women, etc. This plays into people's insecurities. It follows, there is one ideal Office scent and one ideal Date scent, which is pretty silly. What about the idea of wearing a fragrance that you personally like, that makes you feel good in some way and hopefully other people can enjoy, too. There are a lot of choices out there. Everybody is not the same, steamrollered into some sort of cookie cutter uniformity based on the opinions of a self-proclaimed expert.

To me, it's all just data, and mostly subjective data at that! When cruising for a frag, it's always good to hear as much about said frag as possible, especially when buying blind. I usually don't like Jeremy and his whiz-bang presentation, but his video on TDH was spot on. Dirty Orange is the simplest way to describe it (for me). I bought it, and love it!

To me, it's all just data, and mostly subjective data at that! When cruising for a frag, it's always good to hear as much about said frag as possible, especially when buying blind. I usually don't like Jeremy and his whiz-bang presentation, but his video on TDH was spot on. Dirty Orange is the simplest way to describe it (for me). I bought it, and love it!
I like TDH, also, but there's so much he does not tell you, that one would want to know before trying it. It is not just dirty orange and vetiver; there is grapefruit, pepper, cypress, mineral or asphalt notes, patchouli, a bit of floral and resin. You don't want to apply very much or it will become overbearing and annoying in a hurry. The citrus is way too strong in the beginning, but tones down so you get more of the vetiver, cedar and pepper. It's very sensitive to weather, and so on...

I watched ATH's review of Versace Dreamer this morning. He is certainly an interesting reviewer. I cannot tell whether he is trying a scent for the first time when he begins the review. (Some scents, like Kouros, he obviously has long experience with.) I have said this before and will say it again, but I do not really need a review of only the top notes of a frag. They generally dissipate quickly. I think it is important to apply a scent to skin away from one's nose, such as a wrist, and to keep coming back to it over the course of a few hours. I also think it takes multiple times of use to really evaluate a frag, at least it does for me, not that I am good at it. ATH does seem to give it some dry down time by the end.

And, his reviews are not that useful unless one watches until the end. I suppose watching him in action is a good example of how to evaluate a scent. Half-way through one might have thought he really liked Dreamer. By the end he seems to think it is relatively weak and overly simple, with little evidence of any natural ingredients, but seems to think at the current price it is a good value. I really liked that he talked about what could be added to the scent to make it better. Sounded right to me.

I assume it was once much more expensive than it is. I once owned a bottle, I assume from a time when it was more expensive than it is now. I might have actually tossed it. I have always regretted not keeping it around. I think my appreciation for it increased as my experience with scents became more extensive. Vanilla and leather is what I remember. I think over the course of a sort of meandering review he gets it about right based on my sensibilities. His comment that it seems very French is something I did not pick up, but seems dead on to me.

Top Bottom