What's new

Jeans

Mass-production as an apologia for low quality doesn't really work for me- neither does denying the benefits for the buyer, of anything made by talented and conscientious craftspeople from the finest of materials. As to the economics of this on a global scale, just how many excess items of apparel are there lying around the world's wardrobes? Go down any High St and count the clothes/shoe/handbag-shops. I'd much rather have 85-90% fewer items in my possession, if they were proportionally upscaled in quality. .....
Raleigh Denim is a recent upstart in my area and they have gotten lots of good press. But their prices are way out of line as compared to what most people can afford and they appear to have gone exclusively up market. No hipsters shopping here. But it is a marketable business idea.

A profile of the company on a local news' show showing some of the production:

Last edited by a moderator:
Was at the store today, CK, Levi's and Nautical were all $40 a pair. It was a love-hate jean purchse today. I just got a new pair in May but I lost weight and needed some smaller ones. :)

Lately I have been liking Lucky's jeans. But that is only because I found a bunch at the thrift store and they fit perfectly. They are much nicer than most levi's I own but should be for around $100 retail.

Lately I have been liking Lucky's jeans. But that is only because I found a bunch at the thrift store and they fit perfectly. They are much nicer than most levi's I own but should be for around $100 retail.

They often can be had for a steal on clearance too. I got a pair at Marshall Field's (God rest their soul) for like 25 bucks on the clearance rack.

I was referring to the use of loop dying machines and original shuttle looms. Artisan goods. Heritage cloth with character that is made by craftsmen in small quantities, as opposed to modern computer controlled projectile looms cranking out soulless denim. I'm not suggesting it's for everyone. It's for those that appreciate quality goods that last. There are reasons to pay more other than a designer label or stupid pocket designs.

I have to disagree. Modern production methods can and do produce goods of just as high quality as "artisan" or "heritage" goods and modern production can produce consistently high quality goods. Craftsman made products rely on the training and skill of the artisan. Just because something is made by a craftsman and is a "heritage" good doesn't make it high quality nor desirable. The Robin Reliant was made by craftsmen and largely hand built but it was not and is certainly not now desirable except as a curiosity.

So I scoured Suzhou last night- Levi's, Lee and G-Star "raw" are about the only jeans you can get. the 501s really are the default pair of denims I'd say and i really liked the buton-fly version, but at $120 it's a hard sell. G-Star make me sick- they sell "raw" denim that looks like it's been washed 100 times and charge a fortune for it. Lee 729s fit me well but are a bit thinner than the 501s.

So I scoured Suzhou last night- Levi's, Lee and G-Star "raw" are about the only jeans you can get. the 501s really are the default pair of denims I'd say and i really liked the buton-fly version, but at $120 it's a hard sell. G-Star make me sick- they sell "raw" denim that looks like it's been washed 100 times and charge a fortune for it. Lee 729s fit me well but are a bit thinner than the 501s.

Can you just try some on and figure out the size and I could mail you a pair? I wonder if you can ship denim from USA to Suzhou?

Can you just try some on and figure out the size and I could mail you a pair? I wonder if you can ship denim from USA to Suzhou?

That's a very generous offer, XRG. I really appreciate it and will try to get my "stuff" together to do this. I should be getting a bank a/c in the next few days (school's organising it) and then will try to link this to my Paypal a/c. If it all works I would be extremely grateful. No probs with size/style. Let you know one way or the other in the next week or so?

Hey my pleasure man. You are far away from Scotland. I've had great luck with those in the link I posted. I can just order them up from Langstons and repost them to you. I doubt the duty is too much, let me know if I should gift wrap them or something to help get them through. We'll figure out your size when you are ready.

Must confess I have never owned anything designer in Jeans, almost all of mine are Wranglers or Levi just ones that are easy to find and buy.

Top Bottom