What's new

Jazz Music

I'm a huge fan of jazz music, having played trumpet, and learning jazz piano. I have WAY too many favorites to list right now.

I am going to see a band called Soulive tonight in Athens, GA. They are a jazz/funk group that would have you dancing in the aisles (which I plan to do).

I'm going to split this up between Jazz and Nu Jazz. I know everyone here may not be into the Nu Jazz stuff.

Jazz:
Art Tatum
Bill Evans
Count Basie
Dave Brubeck
Dizzy Gillepsie
Django Reinhardt
Duke Ellington
Fletcher Henderson
Henri Salvador (bit more modern..)
Herbie Hancock
Louis Armstrong
Miles Davis
Thelonious Monk
Wynton Marsalis

Nu Jazz:
The Bamboos
Casbah 73
Greyboy
Nostalgia 77

Then I guess if you consider Bossa Nova the jazz of Brazil I'd have a whole bunch of other artists for you...but I guess that's another post...:biggrin1:

I played a gig with Al Vizzutti many years ago, and missed more than one cue because we were all caught watching and listening to Vizzutti play in awe. He can do things on the trumpet that I thought were impossible, and a pretty tone to boot.

Maybe the most technically gifted trumpet player ever--just an amazing talent.

The best thing about Allen, in addition to his unquestionable talent, is what a beautiful human being he is. I was fortunate to have gone to school with Allen, and he's one friend that I'm always happy to see! Ditto for Vince DiMartino and Jeff Tyzik. Chuck Mangione was one of my teachers, too. Lots of fond memories! :biggrin:

chop-chop

I'm going to split this up between Jazz and Nu Jazz. I know everyone here may not be into the Nu Jazz stuff.

I see a lot of live shows, so I've seen a good bit of the "Nu Jazz" including:

Karl Denson's Tiny Unverse
Greyboy Allstars
Medeski Martin and Wood (w/John Scolfield)
Soulive
Dirty Dozen Brass Band (not really that new, but not usually listed among the jazz greats)

I dig those Old School JAZZ cats!!!!!!:biggrin:

My Faves:
Lou Donaldson
Sonny Clark
Horace Silver
Sonny Rollins
Cannonball Adderley
John Coltrane
Benny Golson
Dexter Gordon
:biggrin:

I'm surprised Sidney Bechet (soprano sax) hasn't been mentioned, or Valerie Ponomarov (trumpet)...

The best thing about Allen, in addition to his unquestionable talent, is what a beautiful human being he is. I was fortunate to have gone to school with Allen, and he's one friend that I'm always happy to see! Ditto for Vince DiMartino and Jeff Tyzik. Chuck Mangione was one of my teachers, too. Lots of fond memories! :biggrin:

chop-chop

Did you go to Eastman? Me, too.

You must have been in school with Curtis Olson, too? Manny Alvarez?

Stayin' on track with jazz music:

Gordon Goodwin's "Big PHAT Band" - This is a group made up of the "Top Call" LA Studio musicians. They will blow you away!

*On a personal note... As it turns out, Mitch (mrob) and I actually played in a band together... 25 years ago! SMALL WORLD!!! :biggrin:

chop-chop

Top Bottom