What's new

Jazz Music

I got hooked on jazz when I took an appreciation course in college. Here is what is currently in my rotation.

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - A Night in Tunisia
Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard/Waltz For Debby
Courtney Pine - Modern Day Jazz Stories
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Horace Silver - Song for My Father/The Jody Grind/..& the Jazz Messengers
Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool/Kind of Blue/Bitches Brew
Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners/Complete Blue Note
Wynton Marsalis - Black Codes from the Underground/In This House On This Morning/Majesty of the Blues/Live at Blues Alley

That Black Codes Wynton pick just blows me away - I love that CD. I have a ton more but not currently loaded up. I am not a big fan of Coltrane though no matter how I try. I also have alot of the classics and cover most of the bases from 1930s to about Bitches Brew. I check out a bit on jazz except for a bit here in there (like Wynton) after that period.

Dennis

It's hard for me to imagine life without all of the above. I was at Blues Alley when some of that album was recorded. Wow.

A few saxophonists:

Tom Scott
David Sanborn
Gerald Albright
Kenny G whoops :biggrin:
Najee

Lesser known, current big band:

Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass Some of the best studio musicians. In the same vein as Severinson's Tonight Show Band.

Saxophonists? I had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Yakkety Sax - Boots Randolf - perform live one night.

I saw a Ray Brown show at some concert hall in Zurich about a year before he died. Watching jazz with the Swiss was interesting. The hall was like a morgue, with the reserved Swiss sitting with their hands folded in their lap. I played along, until the hot second set, and I started bopping in my seat. The guy next to me caught it, and he started gently tapping his open hand against his knee. His wife stopped him.

I love the Swiss, but they sure are reserved in public.

For what its worth, my impression was that they generally did not understand the concept of improvisational jazz. When I told my Swiss colleagues later that night that much, if not most, of what they saw was improv, they could barely believe it.

When I was in college, I had the lovely experience of being a roadie for a one night gig for Chick Corea's Electric Band. I got to eat on the bus with the band.

I'd second the McCoy Tyner nod. What a percussive piano! He does one incredible piece that clearly comes out of gospel that's a favorite of mine. Big Gary Burton fan. He has an "artist's choice" show on Sirius that always impresses. For Sax, I'm all over the map, but Dexter Gordon is right up there. Micheal Brecker is at the other side of this range. I saw him on EWI with Herbie Hancock, and it was incredible.

I used to watch Buddy Rich on the Tonight Show. I've been playing drums for thirty years. I usually get nasty looks from the other musicians when I throw in the jazz licks, but I do it anyway. And then, some eighty year old man will come up to me and say "That's the best drumming I've heard in years!" (It's happened several times!) :biggrin: Where are the chicks?:001_huh:

Where are the chicks?

DUH! They're with the TRUMPET players! :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just kiddin'! :wink:

chop-chop

Here's a few of many favorites.

Bass
Ray Brown
George Mraz
Scott LoFaro
Red Mitchell
Gary Peacock
Rufus Reid
Eddie Gomez
Oscar Pettiford
Charles Mingus
Doug Watkins

Piano

Oscar Peterson
Bill Evans
Ahmad Jamal
Tommy Flanagan
Kenny Barron
Duke Ellington
Herbie Hancock
Chick Corea
Hal Galper
Gene Harris
Hampton Hawes

Drums

Art Blakey
Roy Haynes
Ed Thigpen
Harold Jones
Victor Lewis
Yoron Israel
Marty Morell
Paul Motian
Bob Moses
Shelly Mann
Charlie Persip
Roy Haynes
Jack DeJohnette

Sax

Stan Getz
Art Pepper
Dick Johnson
Sonny Rollins
Sonny Stitt
Johnny Hodges
Eric Alexander
Chris Potter
Charlie Parker
Phil Woods
Cannonball Adderly
Dexter Gordon

Trumpet

Dizzy
Donald Byrd
Herb Pomeroy
Roy Hargrove
Wynton Marsalis
Chet Baker

Dizzy Gillespie
Illinois Jacquet
Lionel Hampton
Maynard Ferguson
Arturo Sandoval
Jimmy Smith (This guy did things on the Hammond that blew my mind)

I got hooked on jazz when I took an appreciation course in college. Here is what is currently in my rotation.

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - A Night in Tunisia
Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard/Waltz For Debby
Courtney Pine - Modern Day Jazz Stories
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Horace Silver - Song for My Father/The Jody Grind/..& the Jazz Messengers
Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool/Kind of Blue/Bitches Brew
Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners/Complete Blue Note
Wynton Marsalis - Black Codes from the Underground/In This House On This Morning/Majesty of the Blues/Live at Blues Alley

That Black Codes Wynton pick just blows me away - I love that CD. I have a ton more but not currently loaded up. I am not a big fan of Coltrane though no matter how I try. I also have alot of the classics and cover most of the bases from 1930s to about Bitches Brew. I check out a bit on jazz except for a bit here in there (like Wynton) after that period.

Dennis

Great selections--especially the heavy reliance on trumpet players!

I posted this a while back in the memorial thread, but I got to see Maynard Ferguson when he came though this area a couple of years ago. He was playing at the Handlebar in Greenville, SC and came to do a workshop for my daughter's band class. We ended up having a (well-attended) band booster benefit concert by Ferguson and his band. Even better--I got to MC the show and introduce him!

I posted this a while back in the memorial thread, but I got to see Maynard Ferguson when he came though this area a couple of years ago. He was playing at the Handlebar in Greenville, SC and came to do a workshop for my daughter's band class. We ended up having a (well-attended) band booster benefit concert by Ferguson and his band. Even better--I got to MC the show and introduce him!

I saw him too, two years ago at a local high school here in Alabama. He played a bit here and there, but didn't have much of his chops left. His band was oustanding, though. Pretty young guys mostly. I understand he spent quite a bit of time afterwards with the band students and was very helpful and personable. A nice way to wind down a long, storied career if you ask me. There will never be another like him.

Maynard is great. Well, was great. Got to meet Chuck Mangione, and also got to meet Stan Kenton a year before he died.

Randy

How about some of the Crooners/Singers?

Frank Sinatra - "Chairman of the Board"
Bing Crosby
Ray Charles - the last one that he did with the Basie Band :thumbup:
Mel Torme

Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughan
Dinah Shore

Newcomers:

Harry Connick Jr.
Michael Buble
Sara Gazarek - Very new... very good!
Amber Manning - New and good, too!
Dianna Krall

chop-chop

Billie Holliday!

By the way, has anyone ever heard of a singer named Roberta Gambarini? She's pretty new, but she's really good. She's more of a traditional jazz singer. And wow can she scat! Ella Fitzgerald she isn't, but she definitely holds her own.

I've been asked by "Jazzman" to post my Top 10 Trumpet Players...
I know that I can't limit it to just 10, so here goes:

Maynard Ferguson
Allen Vizzutti
Vince DiMartino
Jeff Tyzik
Chuck Mangione - close enough on Flugel :wink:
Tom Harrell
Doc Severinson
Wayne Bergeron
Bill Chase
Dave Douglas

Wynton Marsalis
Al Hirt
Louis Armstrong
Dizzy Gillespie
Arturo Sandoval
Clifford Brown
Bobby Shew
Carl Saunders
Miles Davis
Harry James

That's just 20... and, there are more! :thumbup1:

Even though these guys aren't jazz-oriented, I have to include Maurice Andre and Raphael Mendez as a couple of guys who were very inspirational to me.

chop-chop
>~iii<0

Thanks, Bruce. That's quite a broad range of styles and tones. Having played trumpet as a kid, I'm always thrilled and amazed to hear great players who seem to make the horn an extension of themselves, like a voice.

I played a gig with Al Vizzutti many years ago, and missed more than one cue because we were all caught watching and listening to Vizzutti play in awe. He can do things on the trumpet that I thought were impossible, and a pretty tone to boot.

Maybe the most technically gifted trumpet player ever--just an amazing talent.

Top Bottom