What's new

Japanese Straight Razors

I see a lot of decent look Japanese straight razors for sale on the internet for $40-75. Are most Japanese made cut throats great steel? Any specific names I should look for? I have a “Unique” one coming to me from Keith. Can’t wait!

Most Japanese steels are great, the blades themselves all seemed to pass rigorous quality control in their past, every one I have recieved has had a dead flat spine. I haven't had a bad one yet, but some of my favorites are tanifuji and koza, cape Kennedys are fantastic but typically pricey and hard to come by.

Most Japanese steels are great, the blades themselves all seemed to pass rigorous quality control in their past, every one I have recieved has had a dead flat spine. I haven't had a bad one yet, but some of my favorites are tanifuji and koza, cape Kennedys are fantastic but typically pricey and hard to come by.

Thank you kindly for the reply. I appreciate it. I May have to check out some more.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Great steel whether Japanese or Swedish, thoughtful but traditional design, excellent craftsmanship and quality control and FWIW good cosmetics. I have never known a Japanese razor to be anything but excellent except those that have suffered at the hands of terrible honers or careless owners. And those are few and far between. Probably some cultural thing.

I just bought this one. It looks like quality steel.

Attachments

• 1642693D-7F4C-49CA-A09D-5387AC2D1132.png
    1642693D-7F4C-49CA-A09D-5387AC2D1132.png
    2 MB · Views: 97
Thank you kindly for the reply. I appreciate it. I May have to check out some more.
Please don't. They are all garbage. Especially those with the Tanifuji stamp. If you find one, please send me a link. I'll take one for the team and buy so no one has to endure the disappointment.

:thumbup:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Please don't. They are all garbage. Especially those with the Tanifuji stamp. If you find one, please send me a link. I'll take one for the team and buy so no one has to endure the disappointment.

You sir are a fine gentleman. There are only a few of us left.

If your taking one for the team with Tanifuji I will bite the bullet and remove the Kikuboshi razors to save people from them.

I only have two Japanese razors, both western grind, and they are fantastic shavers. Neither are the more recognised brands mentioned earlier, but as others have said the quality control seems to be exceptional.

I have seen a couple more that have piqued my interest, I just have to convince myself that I need two more straights.

I just have to convince myself that I need two more straights.

No convincing necessary. Any thoughts counter to acquiring more straights are both illogical and immoral.

Each has a different personality and to truly know what you like, you must experience them all. And given that many are languishing in stuff or drawers, unused and unloved, you owe it to them and their manufacturers to obtain and use them.

(Just don't take any of the good ones as I need all of them.)

I love them... A little too much. I hoarded them in the past and will probably thin the herd to a "top 3" at some point in the future. Especially because a couple developed rust spots in my care so clearly they need to go somewhere else 🙃

Top Bottom