What's new

Janus Razor Shaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think perhaps the best way to get a vintage toggle without breaking the bank is to get one that is challenged in the looks department. Then send it off to Cap'n to get it tuned up, and from there to Chris to get it replated.

In the end, it will still have cost a lot by the time you do all that, but it'll be a looker and it will shave like it was intended when it left the factory.

As to what the purpose of the toggle is versus the twist to open, I think they wanted to make it as easy as possible to load and unload a blade. Turned out that, generally speaking, users actually preferred the TTO version, which is why there are way more Fatboys and Slims than there are Toggles. Go figure: now everybody wants the toggle, likely only because it is less commonly found. I have lusted after one for years, even though I know that it is probably not a better shaver than my pristine Fatboy.

Such is the mind/psyche of a human.

Reactions: AQU
I personally find my F4 Toggle a better shaver than my Fatboy or my Slim
I'm happy for you. I wonder how much of that could be owing to the fact that you value it more, leading you to believe, subconsciously, that the shave it provides is superior. Also, perhaps, it may have cost you more? This also makes people think that something works better, even if it doesn't.

On the other hand, for you it could just be a better shaver. From the marketing research Gillette did back in the day, we know that that experience puts you in a decided minority.

(Bear in mind that a large part of my reason for posting this is to rationalize my way out of spending money on a toggle, lol.)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I'm happy for you. I wonder how much of that could be owing to the fact that you value it more, leading you to believe, subconsciously, that the shave it provides is superior. Also, perhaps, it may have cost you more? This also makes people think that something works better, even if it doesn't.

On the other hand, for you it could just be a better shaver. From the marketing research Gillette did back in the day, we know that that experience puts you in a decided minority.

(Bear in mind that a large part of my reason for posting this is to rationalize my way out of spending money on a toggle, lol.)
I also preferred the shave of the Toggle over the FB and Slim, and I attributed it to the longer handle and different balance.

A lot of talk about cost, but it is a beauty. If I was single, probably would have ordered one. That is all I can say. For the single guys and ones that are really good at hiding finances from the wife, this Bud is for you. Cheers!

I wonder how much of that could be owing to the fact that you value it more, leading you to believe, subconsciously, that the shave it provides is superior. Also, perhaps, it may have cost you more? This also makes people think that something works better, even if it doesn't.
Actually - None of it.
My best shaving Gillette Adjustable is my Super Adjustable 84. I've stated that numerous times on various forums.

Actually - None of it.
My best shaving Gillette Adjustable is my Super Adjustable 84. I've stated that numerous times on various forums.
Brother Clouds,

I tend to agree with you about the Gillette Super Adjustable 84, though I find all the Gillette adjustable's to be outstanding and any differences (real or imagined) to be miniscule.

I think perhaps the best way to get a vintage toggle without breaking the bank is to get one that is challenged in the looks department. Then send it off to Cap'n to get it tuned up, and from there to Chris to get it replated.

In the end, it will still have cost a lot by the time you do all that, but it'll be a looker and it will shave like it was intended when it left the factory.

As to what the purpose of the toggle is versus the twist to open, I think they wanted to make it as easy as possible to load and unload a blade. Turned out that, generally speaking, users actually preferred the TTO version, which is why there are way more Fatboys and Slims than there are Toggles. Go figure: now everybody wants the toggle, likely only because it is less commonly found. I have lusted after one for years, even though I know that it is probably not a better shaver than my pristine Fatboy.

Such is the mind/psyche of a human.

i thought Razorplate, Cap n Chris weren’t touching Toggles anymore?

Actually - None of it.
Wow. I have one lf those that I haven't even tried yet. In fact just tonight I made preparations to sell it.

Maybe I should give it a whirl first.

Great reviews by all those who posted. Beautiful razor and just great that someone decided to make one of these.

If that's true, l guess I won't be getting a toggle anytime soon. I hadn't heard.

I guess it doesn’t say that Cap won’t adjust it and clean it up, but it does say Chris won’t replate it.

02155CF0-7DBC-4C5F-85BE-D8CED4420E6C.png

I personally find my F4 Toggle a better shaver than my Fatboy or my Slim
I have also found the Toggle to be more comfortable than the Fatboy. I have no idea why. Aren't the head mechanisms the same?

My Janus Toggle is out for delivery! I have an extra 2 days of beard growth, 5 days now to test it out on. Eric replied to my email and acknowledged that some find his new Toggle too aggressive. I will report back after the mailman delivers mine.

I have also found the Toggle to be more comfortable than the Fatboy. I have no idea why. Aren't the head mechanisms the same?

My Janus Toggle is out for delivery! I have an extra 2 days of beard growth, 5 days now to test it out on. Eric replied to my email and acknowledged that some find his new Toggle too aggressive. I will report back after the mailman delivers mine.

Congrats. If I may make a recommendation. This razor is blade forward so, for your initial shave start it on #5 and don't use a Feather at first go. Use something a little smoother and go from there. On #5 I feel as though the Janus is reminiscent to 2011 Muhle R41. Perhaps just a smidge under but, close.

Happy shaves....

No the head dimensions are different. The F4 Toggle is less domed (The F4 Bottom Dial and F4 Toggle have the same head and give me the same shave).

No the head dimensions are different. The F4 Toggle is less domed (The F4 Bottom Dial and F4 Toggle have the same head and give me the same shave).
Good info. Thanks. I'll give that a try myself.
Congrats. If I may make a recommendation. This razor is blade forward so, for your initial shave start it on #5 and don't use a Feather at first go. Use something a little smoother and go from there. On #5 I feel as though the Janus is reminiscent to 2011 Muhle R41. Perhaps just a smidge under but, close.
Happy shaves....
Thanks! I'll try a PolSilver for a few strokes and then switch to the Feather. I usually keep my Toggle on 3 for 3 day growth and 4 for more growth using a Feather. It will be interesting to experience the difference but wil probably take more than one shave. Strangely enough my old standard Wilkinson Swords don't feel that great anymore. Maybe my beard is changing as I get older?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom