What's new

J.M. Fraser's Shave Cream

One of the great values in shaving. 450ml- that's one pound- of shaving cream for $16 or $18. Slick, protective lather, an inoffensive if slightly industrial citrus scent, and fairly easy to lather. Scoop up a wee bit on my finger, mash it into a big wet boar, and it explodes in a fine face lather. It is the kind of cream you can use if you have to shave every day- it has that kind of protective feel. My face always feels so good after a Fraser's shave. Can't recommend it highly enough. Its made in small batches, so it sometimes disappears from the market for a while. One pound. It lasts a loooong time. But the quality is there. The Arko or Williams of creams. Made by the same people who bring us the Canadian Booster line of after shaves.

this brand had achieved quite a following several years back, then fell off the radar after a batch was released that was unlatherable. previous incarnations were well thought of. glad to hear the current version is performing in the tradition of the original.

From what I've read here on B&B they had a batch in 2013 that had missed some stage in the production process and as a result it didn't lather properly, though it still worked as a brushless cream. They did their best to replace the defective product wherever possible. The tub I have came from Italian Barber in 2016 and it lathers like a charm. I'll never live long enough to finish it.

I just used it again this morning with a big Omega 48. Slick, protective lather. As I said, the scent isn't great; rather like a citrus scented industrial cleaning product, but it's not a strong scent by any means. Left my skin feeling soft and moisturised- there's a lot of glycerin in this cream. Followed it up with some Booster Aquarius, which I think is their take on Pinaud Clubman. Another great shave!

Last edited:
I had a tub of J.M. Fraser that hasn't been used in a while and this thread inspired me to revisit it.
I must have learned some things since I put this away because the results I got were much better than I remember.
The results were so good I almost skipped shaving the next day after.
Almost.

I know you can get it online, but does anyone know if you can find this cream in any Canadian stores? I get over there fairly frequently.

--Lee

The only place I've seen boosters in calgary is at modern beauty supply which you need a barber or beauty license to purchase from. Only saw the aftershaves not the cream though...

I had a tub of Fraser's that I neglected for a couple of years and it dried out to the consistency of a glue stick. I dumped some distilled water on top and closed up the cap. About three months later I checked it again. The pool of water that I had dumped on top was gone and the shave cream was back to it's original consistency. I used it to shave for a couple of days and the lather and scent were all just as they should be. If your Fraser's dries out, don't toss it. I can be saved!

Nice cream. I've been using it in rotation for some time. Always get close comfy shave with JM Fraser cream.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Just picked up a tub if this from a barber supply store... somebody was asking from Canada, the store was at Bay and Dundas downtown Toronto, around $13 cad for the tub.

I have to say I love the scent of this stuff though it's so fake. It's a nice fake lime to me though and it lathers excellently.

Couldn't use it long term though because it seems to be chock full of glycerin (seemingly more so than the English creams) and my skin is irritated by glycerin. So I gave it to my wife to shave her legs etc. She loved it for a while and I even ordered another tub for her when it ran out. She fell out of use with it though and we don't order it anymore.

I wouldn't re-order it for myself though but while she used it I would occasionally shave with it (I can get away with one shave without much irritation). So I miss it for that.

For most folks glycerin is not a problem so I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has no issues.

Chris

I just ordered some from Groomatorium for $16.99 after learning it lathers unlike Stephan's. I'll review it when it comes this week.

I have to say I love the scent of this stuff though it's so fake. It's a nice fake lime to me though and it lathers excellently.

Couldn't use it long term though because it seems to be chock full of glycerin (seemingly more so than the English creams) and my skin is irritated by glycerin. So I gave it to my wife to shave her legs etc. She loved it for a while and I even ordered another tub for her when it ran out. She fell out of use with it though and we don't order it anymore.

I wouldn't re-order it for myself though but while she used it I would occasionally shave with it (I can get away with one shave without much irritation). So I miss it for that.

For most folks glycerin is not a problem so I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has no issues.

Chris
I've noticed a little burning/irritation too.

The unusually high alkaline content makes it exceptional for dissolving the hair's acid mantle and hydrating and softening the beard for shaving. Very good on tough stubble, eg around the mouth and chin. I agree that the scent is a bit strong, but you can always wash it off afterward (which you might want to do with strongly alkaline products anyway) and apply an aftershave. Highly recommended.

I would like to try this cream one day. Hopefully it’s still around in 2 years, after I finish off what’s in my cubby.

Top Bottom