What's new

Iwasaki - scales for real beauty

Hi Gentlemans,

Iwasaki western style razors owners and lovers, what scales, shape and material do you recommend for the Iwasaki 30 wedge? I'm considering buying this razor and it has a disgusting plastic scales.
I wonder of Kirinite (colors, or a dark, simple shade?) or stabilized wood? what about the shape of the scales, round ends, or square? Please advise, I don't want to commit a crime on such a unique razor.
Thank you so much.

I like to keep the look as close to original as I can. All Japanese Western straights seem to have been fitted with plastic scaled. Acrylic might be a nice alternative. Below is a picture of the original scales. Nice rounded corners suit the Iwasaki.

9E176AB2-2A48-4A15-A7B6-D308BD6A0F68.jpeg

I like to keep the look as close to original as I can. All Japanese Western straights seem to have been fitted with plastic scaled. Acrylic might be a nice alternative. Below is a picture of the original scales. Nice rounded corners suit the Iwasaki.

View attachment 1298325
Thank you @Tomo, ok, it sounds logic, i will probably keep the shape and use dark color of Kirinite, i thing bronze pearl.
What grind is yours? Is it half hollow, or wedge?

thank you all for your opinions. but I have even more confusion in my head than before. original scales, they are black btw. I know I don't want. I don't like them, they are very lazy, look too cheap to me. if they had a logo or symbol on them ..
I will use either black horn or this beautiful Kirinite that I fell in love with. I will keep the shape original.
perhaps I will not dishonor them
566F7EE0-C0C6-4EE7-B6F7-D1C0BBA8006E.png
52DC14D3-DB96-4850-A721-9370DCDF8769.png

That kirinite looks to have a nice color. My one Iwasaki is in amber swirl plastic and I love the way it looks. Like a caramel candy. It's possible I'm just hungry.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
This is kind of an off the wall idea, but vintage ivory scaled razors come up often, sometimes cheap with beater blades and nice scales. The cheapest that I’ve bought one is $21 delivered, and I usually don’t have to go over $45-50 ish. Keep an eye on eBay and Etsy, and you can score.

This is kind of an off the wall idea, but vintage ivory scaled razors come up often, sometimes cheap with beater blades and nice scales. The cheapest that I’ve bought one is $21 delivered, and I usually don’t have to go over $45-50 ish. Keep an eye on eBay and Etsy, and you can score.
it didn't occur to me. Thank you very much for a good idea. I'll try to look for something.

Top Bottom