What's new

Ivory Soap / Arko Revisited

hu·mor
(hyo͞o′mər)
n.
1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.
2. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
3. The ability to perceive, enjoy, or express what is amusing, comical, incongruous, or absurd: "Man's sense of humor seems to be in inverse proportion to the gravity of his profession" (Mary Roberts Rinehart).

I don't see the connection to Arko one bit.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I believe the word "humour" was coined by the great medieval barber "Theodoric of York" who noted that illness could be the result of an imbalance of bodily humours, perhaps caused by a toad or a small dwarf living in the stomach.

Thank you!

Just wanted to follow up about the Arko. I let it sit a full 72 hours next to an open window and lo and behold, most of the crazy Arko funk dissipated! At this point, it smells very similar to Ivory soap, perhaps a bit nicer while still possessing the underlying funk although there's a soft powdery lemony sweetness that almost covers it. I also shaved with it and had a great shave, one of the best I've ever had. Great stuff.....especially after it airs out a bit! Just when I thought I was out, Arko pulled me back in!

I just bought a 12 pack of arko sticks took one out unwrapped and stuck that bad boy right to the nose for a wiff…
I think this is where most people develop a hatred for arko, the smell was strong as hell and wasn't the most pleasant.
I didn't let this stop me, when used I actually really liked the smell. Just a subtle clean lemony smell at least too my nose.

Too me the performance and price is where this soap really shines, its noticeably improved my shave from canned foam but isn't hurting the wallet.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just wanted to follow up about the Arko. I let it sit a full 72 hours next to an open window and lo and behold, most of the crazy Arko funk dissipated! At this point, it smells very similar to Ivory soap, perhaps a bit nicer while still possessing the underlying funk although there's a soft powdery lemony sweetness that almost covers it. I also shaved with it and had a great shave, one of the best I've ever had. Great stuff.....especially after it airs out a bit! Just when I thought I was out, Arko pulled me back in!
You need your nose tested my friend! Arko is what the restrooms in heaven smell like!

For my two cents. Personally I like Arko, it's one of my 3 favorite soaps. I buy it by the dozen and one at a time it gets pressed into a ceramic bowl. The scent in my opinion is old world soap scent similar to Ivory and even on line with Vintage Williams. It's a clean refreshing scent if I may say so. Years ago when i'd buy only 1 puck of Williams at a time, I'd press into my mug left over Ivory too small to wash with. On a second note, One of the first things I learned when I was a boy and dad was teaching me to shave was: Don't talk while lathering, keep mouth shut. I learned that lesson the hard way:c9:

For my two cents. Personally I like Arko, it's one of my 3 favorite soaps. I buy it by the dozen and one at a time it gets pressed into a ceramic bowl. The scent in my opinion is old world soap scent similar to Ivory and even on line with Vintage Williams. It's a clean refreshing scent if I may say so. Years ago when i'd buy only 1 puck of Williams at a time, I'd press into my mug left over Ivory too small to wash with. On a second note, One of the first things I learned when I was a boy and dad was teaching me to shave was: Don't talk while lathering, keep mouth shut. I learned that lesson the hard way:c9:

Back in my early Arko days, I pressed it into a bowl too. From what I remembered, the scent never really dissipated at all for some crazy reason, it was always quite strong, even after months. Now that I use the stick as intended, the stick airs out pretty well if put into an air circulating environment, like next to an open window for a few days. I'm pretty sure it would air out just fine smashed into a bowl but was never able to test it that way. It always lathered like crazy though, so where the rubber meets the road, it is very much excellent!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
.the Arko remains! AHhhhhhhhhh!!!

Heavy rings hold cigarettes
Up to lips that time forgets
While the Hollywood sun sets behind your back
And can't the band play on?

Just listen, they play my song
Ash to ash, dust to dust, fade to black
Fortune, fame, mirror vain, gone insane
But the Arko Smell remains

La, da, da, da, la, da, da, da, la, da, da, da
La, da, da, da, la, da,…

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Arko, Ivory and Williams just have different degrees of the same scent. All are nostalgic for me although I use none of the three regularly.

I love how when I hear about complaints of Arko it's always the smell, never the performance. But yeah it will air out, given enough time it will even lose its scent completely. Which admitably takes a very long time. That's realy a let's buy and open a 12 pack till I need it territory.

Top Bottom