What's new

Ivory Soap / Arko Revisited

So the other day while I'm walking around Walmart late at night because I'm bored senseless and have nothing better to do (and thinking I may actually snag some TP which is unlikely since deliveries are usually in the AM not PM) I came across some Ivory Soap. I never got a whiff of the stuff and thought for the small price, what the heck, I'll get a couple bars and see what the scent's like. It could always be relegated to a slop-sink duty if it stinks real bad but does a good job actually cleaning stuff.

It's been a while since I PIF'd / tossed any remaining Arko so couldn't remember the precise stink, err I mean scent of it, sorry. The Ivory does not stink to me, at all. I had been using for a couple weeks it to wash my hands, and I really like it. It's a subtle lemon citronella and fades slowly after I dry my hands while leaving them feeling soft. I liked the aroma of Ivory soap so much that I actually look forward to washing my hands with it! How can this be? I hated the smell of Arko! Many have said Arko? Oh yeah, it smells like Ivory soap. Well, to push an Amazon order over the limit for free shipping, I added a 2-pack of Arko sticks to the order and then waited patiently.

A while later the Arko stinks, er sticks, arrive and oh my! Arko smells like Ivory Soap my rear end! Arko smells like Ivory after running with the wrong crowd, snorting who-knows-what, drinking way too much moonshine, having too much sex deemed illegal in most states, and not showering afterwards. And the adhesion. That insidious adhesion of stink that just won't wash off, even after you wash your hands with something heavily scented like the Duke Cannon soaps......the Arko remains! AHhhhhhhhhh!!!

At this point I'm committed though. I'm going to just have to shave with it and then complain about it. That is all, I hope you found this entertaining. No insult intended towards those who love Arko of course. I love Tabac and know how many hate it, yet giggle like a little girl when someone has some creative way to describe how bad they THINK it is, because it isn't of course. Unlike Arko, which STINKS!

IMG_0203.jpeg

The “ARKO stink” is citronella and if you open it and let it air out for a few days or do what I do and cut the stick into chunks and smoosh them into a mug, the scent falls to Ivory soap levels pretty quickly. ARKO is my daily soap. I am a very proud member of the Cult of ARKO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivory is a staple in my shower. It's all I use. I also shave with Arko and like it a lot. (Thanks @FarmerTan). I definitely get the Ivory smell from Arko myself. Everyone's nose is different and perceives smells differently in much the same way AS/EDT/EDC scents either work with or against one's body chemistry.

I like the smell of Tabac as well. It just smells like soap to me too.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So the other day while I'm walking around Walmart late at night because I'm bored senseless and have nothing better to do (and thinking I may actually snag some TP which is unlikely since deliveries are usually in the AM not PM) I came across some Ivory Soap. I never got a whiff of the stuff and thought for the small price, what the heck, I'll get a couple bars and see what the scent's like. It could always be relegated to a slop-sink duty if it stinks real bad but does a good job actually cleaning stuff.

It's been a while since I PIF'd / tossed any remaining Arko so couldn't remember the precise stink, err I mean scent of it, sorry. The Ivory does not stink to me, at all. I had been using for a couple weeks it to wash my hands, and I really like it. It's a subtle lemon citronella and fades slowly after I dry my hands while leaving them feeling soft. I liked the aroma of Ivory soap so much that I actually look forward to washing my hands with it! How can this be? I hated the smell of Arko! Many have said Arko? Oh yeah, it smells like Ivory soap. Well, to push an Amazon order over the limit for free shipping, I added a 2-pack of Arko sticks to the order and then waited patiently.

A while later the Arko stinks, er sticks, arrive and oh my! Arko smells like Ivory Soap my rear end! Arko smells like Ivory after running with the wrong crowd, snorting who-knows-what, drinking way too much moonshine, having too much sex deemed illegal in most states, and not showering afterwards. And the adhesion. That insidious adhesion of stink that just won't wash off, even after you wash your hands with something heavily scented like the Duke Cannon soaps......the Arko remains! AHhhhhhhhhh!!!

At this point I'm committed though. I'm going to just have to shave with it and then complain about it. That is all, I hope you found this entertaining. No insult intended towards those who love Arko of course. I love Tabac and know how many hate it, yet giggle like a little girl when someone has some creative way to describe how bad they THINK it is, because it isn't of course. Unlike Arko, which STINKS!

View attachment 1082774
Man. Thems fightin' werds where I come from!

Now remember, there ain't NOTHIN' better than Ivory soap for shower shaving!

Actually, try rubbing both Ivory and Arko on your face and mixing them up on yer face. Lather will explode, and you might also find that the Ivory will tame the Arko smell. They really smell good together.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

Ivory is a staple in my shower. It's all I use. I also shave with Arko and like it a lot. (Thanks @FarmerTan). I definitely get the Ivory smell from Arko myself. Everyone's nose is different and perceives smells differently in much the same way AS/EDT/EDC scents either work with or against one's body chemistry.

I like the smell of Tabac as well. It just smells like soap to me too.
If you guys rat me out, well, I'll cry. But don't tell my wife, but I've been putting ALL KINDS OF SHAVE STICKS in my Amazon cart.

Of course, I have no idea how to actually use our PayPal thingy to pay for any of my soap dreams, so our marriage is safe.

Hallo, my name is Inigo Montoya. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :biggrin1:

I’m going to let this thing air out for a couple weeks and see if it calms down at all. And yes, it’s not just the same scent but louder it’s a different beast altogether!

Arko ≠ Ivory. There is no comparison. I have plenty of Arko and have used Ivory all my adult life. Including shower shaving with Ivory.

My mug with Arko smashed into a ‘puck’ no longer perfumes the den, annoying the other residents. But the enjoyable barbershop on a ‘roid rage scent is still there when I build a lather. :thumbup1:

I was just gifted a tub of TOBS Sandalwood. Now that is a strongly scented soap. Both the sandalwood and the soapy scent are out in force. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

FarmerTan

Is that where you are getting your grammar lessons from, "The Princess Bride"? Ha! Ha!
Well, there WAS some good accents in that movie!
And ANY movie with Andre the Giant, a verified life time lover of Arko, I might add, is a great movie.

Is that where you are getting your grammar lessons from, "The Princess Bride"? Ha! Ha!

hu·mor
(hyo͞o′mər)
n.
1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.
2. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
3. The ability to perceive, enjoy, or express what is amusing, comical, incongruous, or absurd: "Man's sense of humor seems to be in inverse proportion to the gravity of his profession" (Mary Roberts Rinehart).

From Wikipedia:

Cognitive humor processing refers to the neural circuitry and pathways that are involved in detecting incongruities of various situations presented in a humorous manner.”

It’s a comprehensive article. Both trenchant and, in its own way, hilarious.

FarmerTan

hu·mor
(hyo͞o′mər)
n.
1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.
2. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
3. The ability to perceive, enjoy, or express what is amusing, comical, incongruous, or absurd: "Man's sense of humor seems to be in inverse proportion to the gravity of his profession" (Mary Roberts Rinehart).
But what is the definition of "humour?"

Top Bottom