What's new

It is time for me to spend some money!

I started using a straight last year and I bought a kit from Larry at Whipped dog. I am now ready to invest in new/ or slightly used gear. Right now I am giving myself a budget of $300 (could be more) to get a new razor, strop, and maybe a finishing stone of some sort to keep me going longer between honing. I would love some input from everyone on their recommendations. Thanks in advance!!!!!

I would love to have an vintage razor but of course a good conditioned one will be a little more expensive. I am really open to all options. I set $300 to get me a sweet razor (vintage or new), new strop, and hopefully a finishing stone if I still have extra money. I thought I would post here for any ideas from you guys.

I'd go with a nice strop from Tony Miller, and spend the rest on a nice razor from the BST (be warned that you'll have to be constantly watching as they go by quickly!). Then if anything left, get some lapping film from nanolaptech and live with film for a while before your next purchase.

and if you shop judiciously, you can get a Tony Miller strop, and two razors here. add some lapping film for about $30, a lapping "plate" for $5-10...

edit: I have to applaud your restraint as well. I didn't last nearly that long.

Actually, I'd favour a vintage French or British.
For the French I think the Fontenille Wedge and Le Grelot partial hollow (1/4 to 3/4) are very nice.
For British, I have less experience, but I am very happy with my Mappin & Webb and there seems to be plenty of heirloom pieces going around.

This is my vote:

Hone: coticule, that was an easy one
Strop: Tony Miller, again, super easy choice
Razor: This is tough, and a lot of it is personal preference, but I'd say a nice W&B or a vintage Solingen straight. Hard to go wrong. Stay away from the bay, your $ will go further with a hobbyist here or on the BST

I would recommend a nice Scruppleworks strop. I love mine. Razor I would say the same as everybody else, vintage from BST or Hobbyist. I'm just starting honing myself so think I'll let someone else answer there.

Thanks for everyone's interest and input. I ended up going a little overboard and bought a Zulu gray and a wade&butcher off of jpcwon for a good deal. I can hold off of the strop until xmas (gifts?) and I still have my poor mans strop for the mean time.

Thanks for everyone's interest and input. I ended up going a little overboard and bought a Zulu gray and a wade&butcher off of jpcwon for a good deal. I can hold off of the strop until xmas (gifts?) and I still have my poor mans strop for the mean time.

Good deals require pics. Congrats, JP is a great guy. I have one of his razors too.

Top Bottom