What's new

It Is About Time

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
On Monday, May 11, 2015 I had my 1st straight razor shave. The blade is stainless and made in Russia. It came shave ready.
I used a Parker shavette maybe twice in the past and it always felt uncomfortable and I didn't like it.
i used Tabac and face lathered. After I lather, I squeeze the soap out of the brush and lay it on the side of the sink. I then had at it and shaved the same as I do with my Merkur 37c (slant). Nice shave. A "WAS". Work acceptable shave. More importantly: NO BLOOD.
Today was my second shave. No blood and it was WAS!
i did notice the shave to be a bit rough so I checked it with a loupe. The edge had some teeth. So I put it to my creamy yellow Shapton Pro. Maybe 10 or 15 laps and the edge looked beautiful. I stropped and checked and it was still a smooth edge. So note to self: no strop after 15k Shapton with this blade.
I know that it has been said many times that it is difficult to learn how to shave with a straight and hone at the same time but...... I have been sharpening knives and tools since I was a kid and I have stones to 15k. My kitchen, hunting, and EDC knives are pretty sharp. So I felt comfortable with the sharpening but I will know after tomorrow's shave. The razor and the stone do the work. I am just there to provide motion.
So I wish to thank all of you enablers.
I will be out of town Thurs-Sun. I am taking my straight. Jumping in with both feet. Hope to shave twice while gone. I will keep updating this journal.
marty

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Have you gone straight yet Aaron?

Now, now...I've been on the straight and narrow for 30 years come July. I owned a vintage straight bought in an auction circa 1995. I never used it. I gave it to a really good friend who uses them here on the forum.

I'm mulling it over.

Maggios? Is that Pennsylvania? Or, could it be Austin?...ha, ha.

Last edited:

martym

Maggianos??
San Antonio
Fredricksburg
Lukenbach
Gruene
Unless it decides to keep storming

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
X
Maggianos??
San Antonio
Fredricksburg
Lukenbach
Gruene
Unless it decides to keep storming

Gruene is good. Go over and get an old timie black and white photo. You can dress up as a gambler or a cowboy. Real fun.

Fredricksburg....hands down....the Rockbox theatre.

San Antonio....Mi Terria's restaurant.

martym

looking forward to your adventures Marty! Good Luck and enjoy!

Thanks. I am still watching you too! I am off today so gonna shave in a bit and do part of my head just for fun cuz there's nothing up there that is terminal if I slip.

martym

Shave 3 Today
Last night I put blade to stone because the 1st two shaves tugged a bit. Today's shave was smooooth! Like a hot knife thru butter. Very nice shave. The same closeness I get with my slant and I have been using it for two years.
Then I decided to shave the top of my head and the left side too.
It was fun and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
no blood with either face or head.
I do realize that Mr. Murphy is out there close and getting closer.
Will be gone tomorrow thru Sunday. Taking my straight and hoping to shave 2 times but once for sure. Palmolive cream will go with us.

I have learned that one person's shave ready may not be another's. Smooth, sharp, toothy, duller? Every beard is different. Every person is different.

I'm curious as to what type of stone you used and how did you do your touch up on the razor Marty?

My stones arrived today and I'm going after that Ralf Aust!

martym

I have the Shapton Pro 1, 2, 5, 8, and 15k and a strop with diamond paste and a plain leather strop. The leather is tool grade and I have it glued to a 1 x 4. I treat the plain leather with neetsfoot oil.
This was the 1st razor I have honed/touched up. I just placed it flat on the 15k and and did 10 to 20 laps over and back being one lap. I didn't count. I only guided the razor over the stone with my hands. Just the weight of the razor and the stone honed it up! Once you hone a few knives/razors you will noticed the feel/noise when it's honing and when it's done.

martym

Today I also learned the importance of proper stropping. After my shave I checked the blades edge with a loupe. Toothy! I stropped 10 to 15 laps and checked. Toothy. Another 25 laps or so. Smooth. Nice. Lesson learned by the new guy.
You all preach the power of stropping but it makes more sense seeing it for myself.
Important to remember: Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
marty

martym

5/15/2015
4th straight shave in the books
In a hotel and the lighting is not as good as my "study" but no excuses. I only shaved whole face top to bottom and not very well at all on my right side. I just wasnt comfortable and I wasn't gonna push it. Besides I'm on vacation. The only really good part about this shave was that there was no blood.
The next shave will be Sunday night before bed.
That is all

martym

enjoy your vacation...the whiskers always come back anyway!

Although we are getting rained on, we are still having a blast. However, I did take just a wee moment to visit a very well stocked liquor store. Old Grand Dad 114 and Rare Breed 112.8. I love the higher alcohol stuff. To me it is just way smoother. No Elijah Craig barrel proof to be found!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Although we are getting rained on, we are still having a blast. However, I did take just a wee moment to visit a very well stocked liquor store. Old Grand Dad 114 and Rare Breed 112.8. I love the higher alcohol stuff. To me it is just way smoother. No Elijah Craig barrel proof to be found!!

You must be in San Antonio??

I've been known to be a Whiskey/Bourbon/Scotch guy on occasion myself....sounds like my kind of vacation!! Have a great time Marty!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You seem to be faring quite well in your journey with *ahem* "real" shaving. :straight: Way more fun than just putting a blade into a DE, isn't it?

martym

You seem to be faring quite well in your journey with *ahem* "real" shaving. :straight: Way more fun than just putting a blade into a DE, isn't it?
Yes it is. I am enjoying it. It's like putting an edge on my knives and using them. Very satisfying and rewarding.

Top Bottom