What's new

Issue with Dye

I recently ordered a shaving kit that included an ACRIMAX badger hair brush. I rinsed the brush out well before using, with black-blue color coming out. The first time I used it there was a bunch more color coming out and in the lather. I rinsed it until clear and let it dry. Then I palm lathered it with either Dawn or shampoo and palm lathered twice with shaving soap and let it dry. Sure enough, next time I used it, there was a lot of color in my lather and soap. So I rinsed the brush really well again after I was done.

Today I used it again and same thing, a lot of color in the soap (although maybe not as bad as before). So when rinsing the brush out again, I rinsed it really well and until the water was clear again. This included squeezing and rinsing a couple of times and gently flicking it with no color coming out. A couple of hours later I flicked it while it was still drying (without adding water) and a ton of dye was in the sink. I rinsed and squeezed several times until clear and put it back to dry. A couple of more hours later (I am working from home with this virus crap LOL) I rinsed and squeezed it, more color came out.

Is this because it is an inexpensive brush? or badger hair? Is this safe to use? (I have a horse hair brush, and I remember some coloring coming out he first time I rinsed it and the first few times I used it, but nothing like this.) It is also interesting that the water seems to be drawing out more dye as it is drying.

Thanks!

Follow up: I just went a tried to rinse and squeeze again. Either very little or no dye came out. Maybe I just need to be more thorough when I get a new brush. This still seems like overkill to get a brush in a stable condition.

That’s an odd one. I have had several badger brushes but none have ever released any dye, new and used. One or two new brushes have had an odor for the first few uses but never a dye.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Had never heard of dyed badger. I did have a new Semogue boar that had the bristles dyed to resemble badger (1305). It bled dye for the first few uses. Ugly.

That's when I decided I like the plain white hairs better.

I assume the brush is actually badger as it is described. Who knows? I do know it doesn't smell very good right now, but as expected.

I do have a boar brush on order that is plain white. I have never tried a boar brush before.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I assume the brush is actually badger as it is described. Who knows? I do know it doesn't smell very good right now, but as expected.

I do have a boar brush on order that is plain white. I have never tried a boar brush before.
You should love a boar, lol, I do anyway!

I've never used a badger brush, but the whole dye thing is odd to me.

I just used a synthetic brush the other day for the first time. I was blown away! I doubt I would pay money for anything but a synthetic now, though the two boars I use I absolutely love. But that synthetic felt like Angel's feathers on my face.

Ok, I have never felt a real Angel's feathers before, but you get the idea. Incredibly soft.

You should love a boar, lol, I do anyway!

I've never used a badger brush, but the whole dye thing is odd to me.

I just used a synthetic brush the other day for the first time. I was blown away! I doubt I would pay money for anything but a synthetic now, though the two boars I use I absolutely love. But that synthetic felt like Angel's feathers on my face.

Ok, I have never felt a real Angel's feathers before, but you get the idea. Incredibly soft.
Yeah, I have a synthetic brush that is excellent and feels like you describe. When the boar brush arrives, I will have one each of: badger, boar, horse, and synthetic. I should be set for a while on my rotation. If I do decide to get another one for the rotation, it will be a synthetic....

I've only had mildly brownish and dirty looking water come out of a natural brush.....for its first bath only. Aside from some mild funk, none have colored water or lather after that first cleaning.

Now synthetics.....I had one brush with a jet black Boss knot that colored the bath water purple for a few washes and then stopped after that. The manufacturer indicated this might be an issue, and so it was,,but barely like what you describe.

Is this the brush? If so, it's probably the handle that's coloring you water and lather.

61wYVV6eX9L._SL1000_.jpg

I've only had mildly brownish and dirty looking water come out of a natural brush.....for its first bath only. Aside from some mild funk, none have colored water or lather after that first cleaning.

Now synthetics.....I had one brush with a jet black Boss knot that colored the bath water purple for a few washes and then stopped after that. The manufacturer indicated this might be an issue, and so it was,,but barely like what you describe.

Is this the brush? If so, it's probably the handle that's coloring you water and lather.

View attachment 1100027
Yes it is that one. Although the top of my knot looks darker. I assumed the handle was acrylic or similar and therefore wouldn't bleed any color.

[Edit:] I looked online and it is hardwood. Looks like that might be the culprit like you suggest. Thanks!

Yes it is that one. Although the knot looks darker on the top. I assumed the handle was acrylic or similar and therefore wouldn't bleed any color.

OK thanks for comfirming. I doubt a pure-grade badger will bleed purple though, we'll have to hear more feedback from the forum members and see what they say. My money is on the handle though. An easy way to test that theory is to put the brush handle side down in warm water and not submerge any part of the bristles. If you pull it out and the water is purple, it's the handle.

OK thanks for comfirming. I doubt a pure-grade badger will bleed purple though, we'll have to hear more feedback from the forum members and see what they say. My money is on the handle though. An easy way to test that theory is to put the brush handle side down in warm water and not submerge any part of the bristles. If you pull it out and the water is purple, it's the handle.
I did edit my post while you were posting. It is hardwood per the online description. I will give the handle only a try when I get a chance.

I did edit my post while you were posting. It is hardwood per the online description. I will give the handle only a try when I get a chance.

It sure looks like acrylic in the photo, but if it's a hardwood (and not ebony), it's very likely dyed and causing your problems.

There's so many good brushes out there for not much more money, if you find the handle is indeed the problem and don't want to deal with it, I'd return it and let us help you pick something else.

Nothing on just soaking the handle. I will see how it goes next time I use, which might be a couple of days....

Is this because it is an inexpensive brush?

Thanks!

In a word - YES.

You get what you pay for.

That said, not every cheap brush is a bad brush and personally I've never heard of a brush releasing dye, until seeing your post.

As always, it is recommended to get a quality product from a knwon maker.

BTW, a real badger brush is never dyed.

Is it actually purple (like Grape Kool-Aid)? Or just a generic dark-ish sludge (you mentioned "black-blue" earlier).

I had a brush that emitted a dark brown ichor for several days before I figured out how to get rid of it.

proxy.php

Wow! Interesting; I did not read the whole thread yet, but it is comforting to know others have had (somewhat) similar issues. This seems to be pretty thin. At first it seemed to be a black color, but now it seems to be a dark blue color. Maybe it is oils from the hair???

As mentioned in my original post, I did have a horse hair brush that did weep some brown coloring the first time or two I used it, but it was not extensive.
In a word - YES.

You get what you pay for.

That said, not every cheap brush is a bad brush and personally I've never heard of a brush releasing dye, until seeing your post.

As always, it is recommended to get a quality product from a knwon maker.

BTW, a real badger brush is never dyed.

I actually got it as part of a kit and did not even want the brush. I thought I would give it a try though. From the smell, it is definitely some sort of animal hair and I take the manufacturer at their word that it is badger. But who knows, it could by dyed boar hair or other animal - or why not dye a cheap badger brush to make it look more sell-able?

Wow! Interesting; I did not read the whole thread yet, but it is comforting to know others have had (somewhat) similar issues. This seems to be pretty thin. At first it seemed to be a black color, but now it seems to be a dark blue color. Maybe it is oils from the hair???

The brown water coming out of my brush was greasy-feeling. I determined that it was some sort of lipid (fat), probably from the badger that "donated" the hair. It started out quite thick and goopy but, after successive cleanings, it became thin and runny before finally running clear. The wet dog smell went away at the same time.

Anyway, once it was gone, the brush performed great. Feels wonderful on the face and lathers like a champ.

As for your brush, I can only suggest continued rinsing. I'd think that the dye (or whatever) has to run out eventually. But, if it doesn't then a deep-cleaning with some of the cleaning agents mentioned in my thread might be worth a shot.

The brown water coming out of my brush was greasy-feeling. I determined that it was some sort of lipid (fat), probably from the badger that "donated" the hair. It started out quite thick and goopy but, after successive cleanings, it became thin and runny before finally running clear. The wet dog smell went away at the same time.

Anyway, once it was gone, the brush performed great. Feels wonderful on the face and lathers like a champ.

As for your brush, I can only suggest continued rinsing. I'd think that the dye (or whatever) has to run out eventually. But, if it doesn't then a deep-cleaning with some of the cleaning agents mentioned in my thread might be worth a shot.

I used it again today. Much better! I think I have a milder version of what you had. Barely any color left on the soap puck today. Now that I think back, there has been a "gunky" build up on my blade while I shave. I think that build up was only with this brush. There was a little bit today. As for the smell, it is still there, but not as strong. The smell was never overpowering though.

This is my first badger brush, but it seems like they tend to smell when new from what I have read. This brush also seems to absorb the lather and water as it is resting while I shave after the first application. Much more than my horse hair or synthetic. Then when I go to reapply, I have to add a little water. I don't know if this is normal for badger brushes or if it is not broken in yet or if it is because it is inexpensive or because there are still lipids present.

Anyway - Thanks for your help!

Top Bottom