What's new

Is This A DE89L?

Gents-- After an extended delay, my wife and I finally got to have "Christmas" with my in-laws. They know of my..."interest" in traditional shaving (ahem) so they enable one of my AD's on occassion. I received this:

proxy.php

Its an EJ razor (apparently from Duluth Trading Co.) and bears a resemblance to the EJ razor everyone has been talking about lately. Did I just get the hot new DE? In any case I'm going to try it tomorrow.

--Mark

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Yes it is! That is it's the new head without the lined chrome handle.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
That is the DE87. The DE89L has a chrome handle with lines. Regardless, it should shave pretty much the same.

proxy.php

DE89L has a lined chrome handle. That is a variation with a faux ivory handle called the DE87. The head is the same, only difference is the handle. You razor has the new "version 2.0" head with the flush baseplate. The first batch had a recessed baseplate. EJ came out with the flush one to allow for better cleaning and distinguish it from other makers' razor heads. Great razor. Hope you like it...would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

That's the exact one that arrived in the post at my house this morning! I preferred the look of the "ivory" model.

I'll be testing it in a minute!

Gareth

As others have said, the head is the same just the handle differs. The faux Ivory and Ebony handles are hollow so they're lighter than the chrome handled versions, but rest assured you have a very nice razor indeed from your in-laws! :thumbup:

The head sure looks like mine. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. If you're not sure how to use it, I can recommend you some videos on Youtube :ouch1::biggrin1:

I tried it this morning, with an Israeli Personnal (AKA "Crystal") blade. I actually found it a little harsh. It had a nice "heft" but was a little top-heavy for me. I'll have to use it a few more times with different blades but I don't think its going to replace my Progress.

I used my new one for the first time this morning with a new Feather blade and it was an excellent shave. I found the weight and balance good too.

This could turn into my favourite.

Gareth

I tried it this morning, with an Israeli Personnal (AKA "Crystal") blade. I actually found it a little harsh. It had a nice "heft" but was a little top-heavy for me. I'll have to use it a few more times with different blades but I don't think its going to replace my Progress.

That's where the lined handle comes in. The balance of the DE89L is spot-on perfect.

V

VR6ofpain

I would blame the Crystal blades. You need to load it up with something sharp. After trying the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless blade's (Russian green pack), I find Crystal blades dull. They pull like a SOB.

Do you have something sharp like these Gillettes? Maybe an ASTRA or even a Feather :scared:

I had a great shave with my Muhle R89 (same head) last night using a Polsilver blade. Nice and sharp.

The angle on the razor is weird compared to vintage Gillettes. It took me a couple months of daily use to get used to it. I find it works best with very sharp blades and a careful touch. I'd try it with Iridium blades, Swedes, Polsilvers, or 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow pack) if you have any of those on hand. I don't think it will work well with a mild blade like the Crystal at all. I have the lined handle and it is a little top heavy but you get used to that as well.

I dunno. Mine seems to balance exactly right with the end of the handle just making contact with the inside of my pinky with my hand in a relaxed position. So, with the way I hold it, it just seems to float weightlessly. Maybe it just fits my hand better than others. I could imagine that if it had a lighter handle, like I thought the DE87 did, it would feel a little top-heavy. I agree that it works best with sharper blades. I favor the Iridiums.

Where on the handle is the nuetral or balanced point? Is it at the upper point of the white faux ivory? Is it like the Merkur 33C? That razor bothers me for being top heavy.

Best Grooming Tools lists the D87 as 2.3 ounces and the D89L as 2.4 ounces.

Try it with a Super Iridium or as VR6 suggested with the Yellow 7 O'clocks. Both of those blades work great for me in my DE89L. It's a fantastic razor, I look forward to using mine each morning.

I just ordered a pack each of Iridium's, 7 O' Clock's, and Astra's from WCS (already have Feather's, Derby's, etc.). I'll try some of these higher-performances blades in the EJ. Thanks for the input everyone!

--Mark

After trying the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless blade's (Russian green pack), I find Crystal blades dull. They pull like a SOB.

+1 on the green 7 O'Clock Super Stainless, it's my favourite blade in my DE89. It's both sharp and smooth.

Gents-- After an extended delay, my wife and I finally got to have "Christmas" with my in-laws. They know of my..."interest" in traditional shaving (ahem) so they enable one of my AD's on occassion. I received this:

proxy.php

Its an EJ razor (apparently from Duluth Trading Co.) and bears a resemblance to the EJ razor everyone has been talking about lately. Did I just get the hot new DE? In any case I'm going to try it tomorrow.

--Mark

Nice in-laws:thumbup1:

My 89L weighs 2.5 oz, my Muhle 41R weighs 1.85oz. The little extra weight of the 89L is better - at least for me. I didn't care for the 89L at first, but now consider it my best razor. I use Crystal, Sharks, and Derby with pretty much the same results - but favor the Sharks and Derby because the Crystals burn me if I'm not careful. I seem to get the best results from holding the end of the razor well off the skin to prevent the dragging.

Top Bottom