What's new

Is there a cheaper version of the King C Gillette blades?

YMMV but for me Platinums are nowhere near KCG.
The closest alternative I have found are Nacet's and 7o'clock super platinum (black, from India).
As a matter of fact I think I will not be able to tell a difference between Indian black and KCG if I go for a ''blind'' test in terms of sharpness and smoothness.
The only thing that I cannot comment yet is mileage between them.
Indian black I have done 5 shaves so far and I will continue to see when it will fall short.
KCG I am on 3rd shave but paused to test Indian blacks. I will resume after finishing with India's Blacks.
I will have to add the super platinum to my list of blades to try then.

Another way of looking at it is that Gillette just can't help itself when it comes to the price of blades.
Despite years of criticism for overpriced carts they put overpriced DE's next to them on the shelf (keeping in mind that in the same aisle you can get variously Wilkinson Sword, rebranded Dorco's and rebranded Personna's for £2 for 10 vs KCG £5 for 10...!).
On the plus side it's still cheaper than the carts....
Also positive news is that the DE razor seems to be selling very well despite Gillette trying to marginalise their own product with their marketing and I've occasionally seen other brands of DE razor popping up here and there (almost all either Weishi or DE89 clones but still better than nothing).

Here The King C. Blades retail price is very high (€4.99 x 10 blades) but the Platinums are even more expensive (€3.75 x 5 blades). The King C. blades are very good blades and surely worth a try but they are not incrementally better than other top tier St. Petersburg blades (Wizamets, GSBs, Nacets, Rubies). And the nearly identical Gillette Platinum in the light blue box are sold on Amazon at €9.99 x 50 blades.

YMMV but for me Platinums are nowhere near KCG.
The closest alternative I have found are Nacet's and 7o'clock super platinum (black, from India).
As a matter of fact I think I will not be able to tell a difference between Indian black and KCG if I go for a ''blind'' test in terms of sharpness and smoothness.
The only thing that I cannot comment yet is mileage between them.
Indian black I have done 5 shaves so far and I will continue to see when it will fall short.
KCG I am on 3rd shave but paused to test Indian blacks. I will resume after finishing with India's Blacks.

I don't think I've heard anyone compare them with the 7 O'Clock blacks yet, I'll need to try the Blacks, Nacet, Light Blue Platinum and KCG back to back!

Let us know what your findings are.

Will do, although I currently have 15 different types of Gillette blades in my den (and 9 types of non-Gillette) to try so it might be a while before I get around to those ones 😂

I agree that it makes far more sense to save cents and buy blades in bulk, especially the PPI blades that can be a had for about $0.15 USD apiece.

But part of me likes to pick up tucks from brick and mortar stores in the hopes that they'll continue to stock them and thus create another entry path for DE newcomers. Unfortunately, where I live in the U.S., I'm only finding store branded Personnas and VDH blades these days. The Personnas are fine; haven't tried VDH. My Target store also carries Bevel, whose blades are made in China. I need to give those a try, but there was some sticker shock at the price.

Last fall I came across a Walgreens when travelling and was glad to score 10 KCG blades. Hope to get more on a trip east next month. I try to avoid Walmart, but if they're carrying KCG I will go there.

But part of me likes to pick up tucks from brick and mortar stores in the hopes that they'll continue to stock them and thus create another entry path for DE newcomers.

This, for me, is one of the reasons I bought a KCG razor and blades.
I wasn't mortally wounded by Gillette's recent controversial ad campaigns but I did find them a bit irksome. Despite this, as the world's biggest player, I would rather have them supporting DE shaving than opposing it.

Glad the Kgc campaign completely bypassed me. I might pick a razor set up if they start to make one with a black handle. The blade prices hmmm did oneblade whisper something in their ear or was it the other way around 40 euro for 60 blades is expensive. Especially if you can get nacet for 15/100 and most others under the 25/100 mark.
So interesting but that is it.

i found that i was getting nearly twice the amount of shaves out of the king's so taking that into account they didnt work out that bad on price point .

Yeah that is why I figured I would jump on here and ask if there was an equivalent for a good price. I see it as if its an emergency it is nice that they are on the store shelves but no I wouldn't buy them on the regular at that price.

Yeah it seems kinda silly to pay $5 and change for 10 blades when you can buy 100 blades for $15 or less for good blades. Heck I would maybe be willing to absorb the cost if it was maybe 15 or 20 for $5 or so but I feel like $0.50 per blade is silly.

Since all the other Gillette blades are available in bulk packs for a decent price (except of Polsilver Super Iridiums which are selling for $1 per blade), I would think that the King Gillette blades eventually will be as well. For now, Gillette makes more money selling these these blades in ten packs until the DE shavers have made their impulse purchases and gone back to using the old standbys.

In looking through the DE razor blades offerings on Amazon, I spoted new Nacet Platinum blades. The Nacets I have used are labeled Nacet Stainless. I would not be at all surprised if we later learn that the King Gillette blades and the Nacet Platinum blades are made on the same production line or that they are the same blade with different laser etching and packaging. That would explain some people thinking they are similar to Gillette Platinum blades and others thinking they are similar to Nacet Stainless blades. Nacet Platinums may be the best of both. Currently, the Nacet Platinums are only available in 30 packs. I feel another impulse purchase coming on.

Since all the other Gillette blades are available in bulk packs for a decent price (except of Polsilver Super Iridiums which are selling for $1 per blade), I would think that the King Gillette blades eventually will be as well. For now, Gillette makes more money selling these these blades in ten packs until the DE shavers have made their impulse purchases and gone back to using the old standbys.

In looking through the DE razor blades offerings on Amazon, I spoted new Nacet Platinum blades. The Nacets I have used are labeled Nacet Stainless. I would not be at all surprised if we later learn that the King Gillette blades and the Nacet Platinum blades are made on the same production line or that they are the same blade with different laser etching and packaging. That would explain some people thinking they are similar to Gillette Platinum blades and others thinking they are similar to Nacet Stainless blades. Nacet Platinums may be the best of both. Currently, the Nacet Platinums are only available in 30 packs. I feel another impulse purchase coming on.

So you mean as well as comparing the KCG's to the Platinums (Light Blue), Nacet's and 7 O'Clock Blacks (based on a comment above) I also now need to get a hold of some Nacet Platinums?!

Oh well, I suppose if it has to be done, it has to be done 😂

(although the more sample packs I have lying around, the harder it's getting to keep them hidden from my other half 😂)

So you mean as well as comparing the KCG's to the Platinums (Light Blue), Nacet's and 7 O'Clock Blacks (based on a comment above) I also now need to get a hold of some Nacet Platinums?!

Oh well, I suppose if it has to be done, it has to be done 😂

(although the more sample packs I have lying around, the harder it's getting to keep them hidden from my other half 😂)

I have 30 of the Nacet Platinums arriving on Saturday (impulse purchase underway). I will do a face off between the King Gillette and Nacet Platinum blades by using the two blades in identical DE89 razors, shaving each side of my face with one of the blades. If the blades differ in sharpness or smoothness, I will be able to tell quickly. If they appear to be the same, I will need at least a week to determine if one blade will outlast the other. Typically, I get 3-4 good shaves with a blade (four passes per shave). Thus, if I shave only half my face, I should get 6-8 shaves unless they are really special.

My understanding is that the only current production Nacets with a platinum coating are the Gillette Super Nacet made in China:
1613244549888.png

Then there are the current production Russian Gillette Nacet Stainless:
1613244676736.png

And there are vintage Nacet Platinum on Amazon:
1613244738540.png

It seems you are correct. The Gillette Platinum blades that were delivered today are the ones make in London. I hope they meet my expectations. I use different blades in different razors, so I am sure I can use them.

I'd be willing to wager that there IS a far cheaper version, that is to say I'd be willing to wager that these are repacking and rebranding of some previously existing product, rather than being something entirely new.
What that product would be, all I would say it that it is probably one of the higher end blades from St. Petersburg, as others have mentioned.

Whas wondering about this as well and compared the KC's with the platinum's and must say the are very close, rebranded is my guess

I tried my first shave comparing the King C Gillette blades with the Nacet Platinum blades produced in London, but now discontinued. The new blades were much better than the vintage. The vintage blades were neither smooth nor sharp on the first pass. I had two days growth of my coarse beard and the WTG pass was painful. Fortunately, the blades did seem to get sharper with use, so I am hoping the next shave will be better. On the first shave, the Nacet Platinum blades reminded me of Astra Superior Platinum. Although the Astra blades are a favorite of many, they are not sharp enough to deal with my coarse stubble, especially on the first pass with a new blade. We will see what the next shave brings.

I tried my first shave comparing the King C Gillette blades with the Nacet Platinum blades produced in London, but now discontinued. The new blades were much better than the vintage. The vintage blades were neither smooth nor sharp on the first pass. I had two days growth of my coarse beard and the WTG pass was painful. Fortunately, the blades did seem to get sharper with use, so I am hoping the next shave will be better. On the first shave, the Nacet Platinum blades reminded me of Astra Superior Platinum. Although the Astra blades are a favorite of many, they are not sharp enough to deal with my coarse stubble, especially on the first pass with a new blade. We will see what the next shave brings.

I feel the same about the Astra SP as well. They are right in the middle between a terrible and meh/ok blade and it's impossible for me to get a 3rd shave from a single blade. A week ago i've got a pack of Astra SS, which i'm going to try these days. Most people agree that they are sharper and overall better, but we will see.

I feel the same about the Astra SP as well. They are right in the middle between a terrible and meh/ok blade and it's impossible for me to get a 3rd shave from a single blade. A week ago i've got a pack of Astra SS, which i'm going to try these days. Most people agree that they are sharper and overall better, but we will see.

Although Astra SS are not my favorite blade, they are among the top tier. Considering how inexpensive they are, they are a great value.

[...snip...] My Target store also carries Bevel, whose blades are made in China. I need to give those a try, but there was some sticker shock at the price.
I got a pack of those Bevels. They were almost ok on my face in my razors. Not that they were bad, but they were a far cry from good. And for the price, there's much better out there. I would not recommend them for the price or feel.

Of course YMMV, but my Bevel blades went to scraping algea off the glass of my aquariums after a blade in each of my razors.

I got a pack of those Bevels. They were almost ok on my face in my razors. Not that they were bad, but they were a far cry from good. And for the price, there's much better out there. I would not recommend them for the price or feel.

Good to know—thanks! You’ve saved me $10.

Top Bottom