What's new

Is there a cheaper version of the King C Gillette blades?

So a few days ago I was walking down the shaving section at walmart and they had the King C Gillette line of products and on a whim I bought the box of 10 DE blades (would have bought a razor too but they were out) which it was like $5 or so. I am ok with that price for a spur of the moment purchase but I think that is kinda high to buy on a regular basis when you can get DE blades for way cheaper other places. The problem is today I used one...I loaded it up in my 49 superspeed and OMG that was an awesomely smooth shave. So like the title says is there maybe another blade of same/similar performance out there under a different name for a cheaper price?

I agree those KCG blades are very very good. I may be wrong and I’m too lazy to research it right now, but I believe I’ve read that they’re Russian from the Gillette PPI factory. Regardless, I do find the comparable to Nacets and 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (yellows) which come from that factory.

Haven't tried the King C Gillettes myself but I've seen others on the board speculate that they are repackaged Gillette Platinum Light Blue, aka "New Swede":
GIllette platinum box case.jpg

Both are made in the PPI factory in Russia

Thanks guys for the past year or so I had been using my stock pile of silver blues and astras and like both of those blades just fine but was super impressed with this one so I may have to buy some nacets, yellow 7oclocks and platinum light blues and see how I like those since I am probably down to like 40 blades or so.

I've heard some people say they are the same as the Gillette Platinum Light Blue mentioned above but I've also heard others claim they feel more like a Nacet. I really liked the King C's as well so I've bought a tuck of Gillette Platinum Light Blue and a tuck of Nacets to try them both and see for myself.

YMMV but for me Platinums are nowhere near KCG.
The closest alternative I have found are Nacet's and 7o'clock super platinum (black, from India).
As a matter of fact I think I will not be able to tell a difference between Indian black and KCG if I go for a ''blind'' test in terms of sharpness and smoothness.
The only thing that I cannot comment yet is mileage between them.
Indian black I have done 5 shaves so far and I will continue to see when it will fall short.
KCG I am on 3rd shave but paused to test Indian blacks. I will resume after finishing with India's Blacks.

I picked up a pack son a whim just as you did. I like very sharp blades and King Gillette filled that need. I find that they are similar to Nacets. If they were available in 100 packs, I would buy them, but they are too expensive when purchased in small quantities from a retail store. If you purchase them at retail, the pricing is similar to that of Personna blades.

King C Gillette and its blades is very impressive. I have put a number of shaves on that thing. The King C Gillette is a keeper for me, I'll never part with it, I super enjoy mild razors that I can wield effortlessly on autopilot, taking my time to enjoy a shave with. Shaving my stubble like a Katana slicing progressively through grass. Shaves way above its price point as a pair.

The blades, they are excellent for me, but super expensive. I'd really like to know which blade it is as well. Certainly the mirror embossing on the blade shows they have put effort into the marketing of this blade with its quality to boot. I'd buy these in bulk if they were available at a decent enough price.

I've heard some people say they are the same as the Gillette Platinum Light Blue mentioned above but I've also heard others claim they feel more like a Nacet. I really liked the King C's as well so I've bought a tuck of Gillette Platinum Light Blue and a tuck of Nacets to try them both and see for myself.
Let us know what your findings are.

What's even more frustrating perhaps is that here in the UK the entire KCG range has been on sale at discount price in several retailers.
The entire range except the blades that is...

They are trying to prevent anyone getting the idea that these are for full face shaving and thinking they are an incredibly cheaper solution to the cartridges. Most men I know look at safety razors like they are an alien olden day antique.

Are the safety razors still available and are they on sale? Here in Australia, they're sold out everywhere.

They are trying to prevent anyone getting the idea that these are for full face shaving and thinking they are an incredibly cheaper solution to the cartridges. Most men I know look at safety razors like they are an alien olden day antique.

Are the safety razors still available and are they on sale? Here in Australia, they're sold out everywhere.

The razor with five blades was reduced to £13 GBP last time I was in Tesco here in the UK. Almost every big supermarket has the razor and blades right now. I don’t want another DE to be honest but I would snap it up if I did!

Those blades might be rebranded according to many, BUT for me: they lasted longer than all the Gillette Russian blades I have and they were always smooth...... I wish I knew exactly what they are....since for my shaving I am willing to spend in them the same $$ that a Kai or Feather cost.....because I think they are better.

Amazon had a sale going through their supermarket delivery last week: the whole razor and blades for $11.50 to 13.50; I think you have to spend at least $35 from their supermarket.....and maybe delivery....not sure....I tried to order some spicy stuff and it was expensive once you added all stuff.....I just went to another place.....so I am not one to evaluate these sales.

What's even more frustrating perhaps is that here in the UK the entire KCG range has been on sale at discount price in several retailers.
The entire range except the blades that is...

I've noticed that as well, very frustrating! Hopefully I find the Nacet to Platinum to be the same or similar enough that I can buy them significantly cheaper than the KCGs!

Yes, the safety razors are still available and on sale in the UK (online and in supermarkets, pharmacy's). They are marketing them as "edging razors" for people to trim their bears etc. From their website " for a close, smooth shave on the areas around your beard and moustache...The great gift set for any modern bearded gent." to try and avoid people seeing them as an alternative to cartridge razors.

Haven't tried the King C Gillettes myself but I've seen others on the board speculate that they are repackaged Gillette Platinum Light Blue, aka "New Swede":
View attachment 1221212
Both are made in the PPI factory in Russia

That was my initial guess but I later changed my mind. The Platinums above are smoother, the King C. blades are slighty sharper.

Another way of looking at it is that Gillette just can't help itself when it comes to the price of blades.
Despite years of criticism for overpriced carts they put overpriced DE's next to them on the shelf (keeping in mind that in the same aisle you can get variously Wilkinson Sword, rebranded Dorco's and rebranded Personna's for £2 for 10 vs KCG £5 for 10...!).
On the plus side it's still cheaper than the carts....
Also positive news is that the DE razor seems to be selling very well despite Gillette trying to marginalise their own product with their marketing and I've occasionally seen other brands of DE razor popping up here and there (almost all either Weishi or DE89 clones but still better than nothing).

I picked up a pack son a whim just as you did. I like very sharp blades and King Gillette filled that need. I find that they are similar to Nacets. If they were available in 100 packs, I would buy them, but they are too expensive when purchased in small quantities from a retail store. If you purchase them at retail, the pricing is similar to that of Personna blades.
Yeah that is why I figured I would jump on here and ask if there was an equivalent for a good price. I see it as if its an emergency it is nice that they are on the store shelves but no I wouldn't buy them on the regular at that price.

They're the best blades I've tried, but I'm not paying that price for them.
Yeah it seems kinda silly to pay $5 and change for 10 blades when you can buy 100 blades for $15 or less for good blades. Heck I would maybe be willing to absorb the cost if it was maybe 15 or 20 for $5 or so but I feel like $0.50 per blade is silly.

Top Bottom