What's new

🙋 Is Simpson Trafalgar T3 good for face lathering? 🙋 What about backbone? 🙋

I'm eyeing the T3 and so would appreciate some advice from you guys who already have it.

My 2 main question are:

1) Is it good for face-lathering?

2) Does it have a solid backbone?

Thank you guys! 😊

Hello Dave. I use it exclusively for face lathering, with hard soaps and croaps.
For me it has a good backbone, not as strong as an Omega S-Brush but certainly more present than a Plissoft. It has a very dense knot and feels good on the face. What synthetics do you currently use?

Hello Dave. I use it exclusively for face lathering, with hard soaps and croaps.
For me it has a good backbone, not as strong as an Omega S-Brush but certainly more present than a Plissoft. It has a very dense knot and feels good on the face. What synthetics do you currently use?
Hey tnx for that @Lee93! 😀

Sounds perfect, as I mostly use hard triple milled soaps.

That said, I currently use no synth. brush, never have and so this would be my very first one.

My favorite brush BTW is Omega 10048 (Proraso Pro). I do get a synth. will never have that scrubby scratchy feel of a boar/pig bristle, but as long as it has a good backbone, I'm fine.

@DaveHStone
Surely there are synthetics with more backbone than the Trafalgar T3. I ordered a Yaqi Sagrada Familia and a DsCosmetic G4, this one has a lot of backbone, it will take a while before they arrive, but if you want I will let you know my impressions. Meanwhile, let's see what others people say!
(The omega Black Hi Brush has backbone and it is scritchy, but because of this causes me irritations).

@DaveHStone
Surely there are synthetics with more backbone than the Trafalgar T3. I ordered a Yaqi Sagrada Familia and a DsCosmetic G4, this one has a lot of backbone, it will take a while before they arrive, but if you want I will let you know my impressions. Meanwhile, let's see what others people say!
(The omega Black Hi Brush has backbone and it is scritchy, but because of this causes me irritations).
Hey @Lee93, could you give me some examples of synths with more backbone than T3? (how much more?)

That said, are you happy with the backbone of T3? How would you rate it - weak / normal-average or strong backbone?

Hey @Lee93, could you give me some examples of synths with more backbone than T3? (how much more?)

That said, are you happy with the backbone of T3? How would you rate it - weak / normal-average or strong backbone?

Average: Trafalgar T3
Strong: Omega Black Hi Brush (scritchy) but good for face lather.
Omega S Brush PRO scritchy and springy, I can't use it for FL but only for BL.
Yes, I am happy with Trafalgar T3, I find it very comfortable.

You can find more info about the Black Hi Brush here.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Short answer the t3 is awesome for face lathering the price point it amazing but I don’t live short handles.
Look around B&B fir @nav reviews on yaqi and g4 knots. They are all great but less backbone and softer but firm. The Simpson chubby is on the brick end of the spectrum of backbone and the highest price point. The t3 is firm and full and similar to the omega evo that really mirrors a badger. But with the price point the t3 is an absolute winner. I can’t stand the omega hi or s.

Average: Trafalgar T3
Strong: Omega Black Hi Brush (scritchy) but good for face lather.
Omega S Brush PRO scritchy and springy, I can't use it for FL but only for BL.
Yes, I am happy with Trafalgar T3, I find it very comfortable.

You can find more info about the Black Hi Brush here.
Tnx a million @Lee93!!!

That said, what about the new "Roma" branded Omega synths?

These look identical to Simpsons (faux ivory handle).

I'd like to have this type of fan shape rather than long one on Omega Hi Synth... given it's produced by Omega, I assume it shuld have a rather strong backbone...?

1611664768910.png

99% face lather here and shower shaver. A brilliant brush and whips up lather with cheap and expensive soaps and creams. Go on you know you want to..........your mind was already made up wasn't it.
@StuMcB to an extent - YES. I'd really like that "trademark" Simpson look, with faux ivory handle color and shape. That said, I am on the fence between the T3 and this Roma by Omega new line... either will be great I am sure, I just wanna make sure I get the one with most backbone. Price is identical...

Short answer the t3 is awesome for face lathering the price point it amazing but I don’t live short handles.
Look around B&B fir @nav reviews on yaqi and g4 knots. They are all great but less backbone and softer but firm. The Simpson chubby is on the brick end of the spectrum of backbone and the highest price point. The t3 is firm and full and similar to the omega evo that really mirrors a badger. But with the price point the t3 is an absolute winner. I can’t stand the omega hi or s.
@Rhody I really appreciate your input, thank you. However, at this point I am interested in trying out my first SYNTHETIC brush. I have both boar and badger brushes and I'm fine in that respect.

I am looking for a synth brush with strong backbone, not strong backbone in any brush.

As mentioned earlier, I'm not interested in stuff coming from China with dubious, ultra long shipping schedules, so no Yaqi and alikes for me. I've narrowed my choice down to two contenders - T3 and Roma Colosseum by Omega. If you can shed some light on the later, I'd be grateful.

Tnx a million @Lee93!!!

That said, what about the new "Roma" branded Omega synths?

These look identical to Simpsons (faux ivory handle).

I'd like to have this type of fan shape rather than long one on Omega Hi Synth... given it's produced by Omega, I assume it shuld have a rather strong backbone...?

View attachment 1213669

The Omega Roma Brushes have been on the market a few days ago, there are still no reviews. Aesthetically I prefer the Simpson, because I don't like the logos on these Omega handles, maybe I'll try it in the future. The price is great, you could try it!

The Omega Roma Brushes have been on the market a few days ago, there are still no reviews. Aesthetically I prefer the Simpson, because I don't like the logos on these Omega handles, maybe I'll try it in the future. The price is great, you could try it!
Aesthetically, I too prefer the Simpson.

May want to take a look on Amazon (and maybe some other sites). Muhle brushes all over the place for $40-$60
Depends on the model and size. The one I was looking at goes for around $100 directly from Muehle website. Anyways, as said I already have a Muhle brush, I'd like to try out another brand and I guess one can't go wrong with Simpson, especially at the price point these Trafalgars are trading at.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
@Rhody I really appreciate your input, thank you. However, at this point I am interested in trying out my first SYNTHETIC brush. I have both boar and badger brushes and I'm fine in that respect.

I am looking for a synth brush with strong backbone, not strong backbone in any brush.

As mentioned earlier, I'm not interested in stuff coming from China with dubious, ultra long shipping schedules, so no Yaqi and alikes for me. I've narrowed my choice down to two contenders - T3 and Roma Colosseum by Omega. If you can shed some light on the later, I'd be grateful.
Good luck in your specific search. I was giving my opinion related to synthetic brushes however and not boar knots. My reference to Simpson chubby was the synthetic version Yaqi is available in the us from west coast shave and was referred to by me in terms of synthetic backbone spectrum as I have many synthetic brushes from almost all manufacturers. Cheers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom