What's new

Is pure badger OK?

Hello I'm new to this board and new to wetshaving. I did a little research but still made a rookie mistake. I went to the only store in town that sold oldschool shaving products and picked up a pure badger brush, which i thought was good since it said "pure". But then I found out that there's also a best and super badger brush that are better. Is the pure badger still good? or should i get a better one?

I am a newb too. From what I have read and from the couple brushes I have (one of them being a "pure" badger brush) it will do just fine. After you use it for a while you will be able to feel the difference in a better brush, but for starters it should be great.

:001_smile

There won't be a big difference in lathering qualities, only softness. Try it for a while and see how you like it.

Scotto said:
There won't be a big difference in lathering qualities, only softness. Try it for a while and see how you like it.
Ditto. It should perform well for you.

My first brush was a Savile Row 101, which is pure badger. It was--and still is!--a great brush, and I still use it, but now as my travel brush.

The C&E brush will work just fine, and you may never feel the need for another one. . .

. . .yeah, right!!!!!!!!

mrob said:
My first brush was a Savile Row 101, which is pure badger. It was--and still is!--a great brush, and I still use it, but now as my travel brush.

The C&E brush will work just fine, and you may never feel the need for another one. . .

. . .yeah, right!!!!!!!!

truer words were never spoken!

Marty

Indeed. I just started, and bought a vulfix pure brush. The truth is that it is perfectly fine. Just great lather in no time, etc. So there is really no need for anything else and with luck, you may be happy with it indefinitely. I did already end up ordering a new slightly higher end brush, though, mostly because I wanted something denser and less floppy for the feel on mine face.

I had a pure badger, that I gave to my brother as a gift after I got a Savile Row "best badger". The pure was just as good at lather building & water retention but the SR has a softer feel. I actually missed the pure & bought another one because I like the "scrubbing" feel of the pure bristles (great for 2-3 day growth). I've actaully cured my SBAD with these 2 brushes...

S

Sam

I purchased a black badger brush and black handle, a Plisson, and it may be a little scratchy, but my first brush was a best badger, not that far up the chain. It did well. You also will do well and for a first brush, don't worry.

Sam

Top Bottom