What's new

Is my hone ruined?

After I shave I put a light coat of BreakFree on the blade. When I use it again I gently wipe it off.
I recently touched up a few of my razors on the 8k side of my Norton and noticed that the water had a oil look and feel to it. The feel wasn't bad...very smooth...but I really don't know if this is harmful. It is after all a water stone not a water and a touch of oil stone.
I lapped it and lapped it again to hopefully do away with any residual BreakFree...it still feels the same.
Is it time for a new hone? I haven't noticed a big difference in the end result...but for me honing is a constant learning process.

I use a Norton 8K as well and, as you know, it is not an oil hone but a water hone. However, a small amount oil should not mar the performance of the hone. Generally, using oil on a waterstone is harmful for performance and can ruin a hone.

In your case, you were not using oil as a lubricant, you just have a small residual, contaminating amount. I wouldn't worry about it. Nonetheless, if you are going to lose sleep over it, you can boil the oil out in soapy water. This will help lift the oil out but don't go crazy with the boiling.

Last edited:
Thank you for quick response...I might try boiling it...but like I said I haven't notice a difference in the end result yet. Far from an expert in this area.

Waterstones work by breaking up (slowly) and washing away with use to continuously expose fresh surface. Don't worry about it. Unless you're soaking the stone in oil, it'll wash away with the slurry sooner or later.

I'd say soak it in hot soapy water and then give it a good scrubbing. I have heard oven cleaner can work for scrubbing, but I've never tried it myself.

Top Bottom