What's new

Is it ok to use a double-edged razor blade for 2 weeks?

I ended up using a personna double-edged razor blade for 2 weeks.
I usually use one blade for 1 week.
I didn't notice any substantial performance degradation, but it looked slightly rusted after 2 weeks although I wipe razor and razor blade thoroughly with a towel after every shave.

As long as you have no rust on the blade edge you are OK. After I rinse my razor and blade off I dunk the razor with the blade in it in rubbing alcohol and that eliminates any water and is a rust inhibitor.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm on no. 43 with a GSB. Shaved as well as no. 2. Next one might go 10 or 12. Ya just never know.

I am sure you can and that many do. That said, if I went down that road (and I do not), I would do what someone else posted...to dunk the blade in barbicide to kill bacteria and prevent rust.

Personally, that is too much effort for me, and since my blades get dull fast thanks to my wire beard, I use blades only twice and then discard.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I can get 4 weeks from a Persona blade. Two weeks from edge 1 and two weeks from edge 2.

A month is pushing it for many people and not worth the effort, but I find the USA Personna to be a long lasting blade. At some point it seems to keep going without any degradation. I may have made a mistake (in that it is hard to use only one edge of a DE razor each time) but I believe I shaved over 20 times with the same edge of a Personna blade and they were all good shaves.

Use a blade as long as it delivers a good shave. I don't know if what you are seeing is staining rather than rust, especially if you are wiping it down after every shave.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Yeah, it’s okay. As long as it is giving you acceptable shaves. I’ve used a few for 2 weeks and received great shaves for the 2 week period. Some last and some don’t.

Longest lasting blade I've ever used is a Voskhod. It lasted long enough that I lost count, plus I rotate thru various razors during the weekdays.

After I'm done shaving, I'll rinse the blade & hold it by one end then flex it & flick it to remove water, then repeat, holding the other end. With A/C running all summer, my indoor humidity hovers somewhere around ZERO, making an alcohol dip unnecessary.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I used a single Polsilver blade for 5 weeks without any problems and I could have used it longer, easily.

If it still works, keep using it.

Sure! So long as the blade is delivering. Check out the Excalibur thread, those guy gets tons of uses!!

Yes, why not?
As long as you are getting good shaves, not getting any irritation or feel the blade is dulling I guess you can go as long as you want to.
I typically use any blade for one week and change to a fresh one on Saturday morning. I know I can probably go longer but keep it at one week.

I just use each blade until I notice some pulling and then I change it, I also tend to alternate razors so that spreads the workload around I suppose.

One of the nice things about DE blades is that they are so cheap I don't hesitate to change one when it doesn't perform.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Is it ok to use a double-edged razor blade for 2 weeks?

Sure it is. Longer? Sure.

There's a club for people very interested in maxing out the number of uses in a blade. They go way up there. Check 'em out. Excalibur Club might be the name.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom