What's new

Is it ok to use a double-edged razor blade for 2 weeks?

i just started shaving with a de blade set up. the blade that came with the razor was a merkur. got 3 complete shaves and then on the 4th shave i got a horrible experience. blade was pulling my stubble and i had to throw it out. now i am on my 5th shave with a muhle blade, showing it's age, shave not as close as first few uses of blade. my point is, for some reason these double edge blades vary greatly in their lifespan. you will know it is time to replace your blade when it starts tugging on your stubble or you need too many passes to get a close shave.

I stopped counting shaves, just toss when it takes more effort than I want to put in to get an acceptable shave. Some blades last a few days other a month or more. I have injectors that the blade was put in over a year ago that I still use. They don't have a years worth of shaves on them, but have more than a week or two.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Most blades give me 10 to 14 shaves, with some going 30+, and others fizzling out after 5. There's no right and wrong, just what works for you. As to hygiene, you're using soap and water throughout the process, so the cutting action is in the midst of a cleansing operation. Short of holding your breath, and shaving while submerged in a vat of pure alcohol, I'm not sure how much more hygienic it could be - obviously assuming the water is clean, and the soap hasn't got something disgusting growing on it.

Comfort and tolerance for using a certain blade, depends on the razor, blade, water, and lather, and how well they all play together (the combination is more important than individual aspects), plus your beard, skin, and of course technique - both the suitability of that technique in respect of all the above variables, and of course how good you are at using that technique.

I've been on this forum for nearly two years, and I haven't come across anyone who uses exactly what I use, or uses what I use the same way. When I do notice someone doing something similar, they don't always get the same results or blade life. So while all of us will throw out lots of suggestions, often mixed in with a lot of temptation for new stuff, don't fall into the trap of "measuring" yourself against anyone else. It's only the comfort and quality of your shave that matters.

Like what others have said I use them until they don't work very well. It's always over a month with "good' blades. Sometimes over 3.
Two weeks shouldn't typically be a problem.

I've had blades installed in razors for over two years. Not used every day, but once a week. Take them out once in a while and remove any built up soap scum, otherwise just rinse.

Nothing is going to grow on a well rinsed blade that isn't already growing on your face, I'd not worry much. Poor technique resulting in skin abrasion will give you a much larger risk of infection than anything on the blade.

A month or more on any good blade is probably the norm, at least it was when I was a kid. I've never gotten less than a month out of any decent blade with daily two or three pass shaves. Technique counts.....

A month or more on any good blade is probably the norm, at least it was when I was a kid. I've never gotten less than a month out of any decent blade with daily two or three pass shaves. Technique counts.....

This is when double edge shaving can be really inexpensive. Stay with one or two good razors, a handful of different blades and you shave almost for free. And with a great result too!

I've had blades installed in razors for over two years. Not used every day, but once a week. Take them out once in a while and remove any built up soap scum, otherwise just rinse.

Nothing is going to grow on a well rinsed blade that isn't already growing on your face, I'd not worry much. Poor technique resulting in skin abrasion will give you a much larger risk of infection than anything on the blade.

+1 Well said!

It depends how we define "acceptable". For me that's perfectly smooth cheeks and neck. I like efficient razors and sharp blades. I don't have to have a perfectly smooth face - I'm semi-retired. It's just a kind of fun challenge. I only shave every 2 days so that saves on blades. A blade used 5 times lasts 10 days. At that point I'm starting to experience a dulling of the edge. Still shaves OK but I don't want to increase the number of strokes since that leads to irritation.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
At that point I'm starting to experience a dulling of the edge.

You've just answered your own question :D Some people don't notice that for many more shaves, for whatever reason. I tend to be around shave #10 when I notice it with most blades, but some blades have gone beyond 20 for me, without feeling like they're starting to fade.

Using the same DE blade for 2 weeks or longer is kinda like wearing the same socks and underwear for 2 weeks. Yeah, you can do it, I suppose, but why?

Schick Injector blades are an exception. They have unusual longevity. Two weeks or longer is their norm for most shavers.

I think doing so is better than changing the DE razor blade on a regular interval.

The thing is...I'm a terrible hypocrite on this. Mostly, I use a blade once and discard. Why? Because logic dictates that a blade cannot be sharper on its second use than it was on its first. My facial hair is not analogous to a 0000 grit Arkansas stone. The blade is duller after that first use.

And I'm a American. I have "First World" problems confronting me. Cold fusion. Coke vs. Pepsi. Avogadro's Number. Who shot J.R.? I don't have time to spare for "Third World" concerns about blade sharpness and edge-retaining qualities or whether I'm consuming enough iodine to stave off a big goiter on my neck.

Cold fusion. Coke vs. Pepsi. Avogadro's Number. Who shot J.R.? I don't have time to spare for "Third World" concerns about blade sharpness and edge-retaining qualities or whether I'm consuming enough iodine to stave off a big goiter on my neck.

Average first world citizens are miserable. They suffer from poor diet, lack of exercise, and lack of sleep.

I'm a terrible hypocrite on this. Mostly, I use a blade once and discard. Why? Because logic dictates that a blade cannot be sharper on its second use than it was on its first. My facial hair is not analogous to a 0000 grit Arkansas stone. The blade is duller after that first use.

Using a blade until it doesn't work doesn't require you to think. Rather, I think it's as simple as changing the blade after each use.

Last edited:
Average first world citizens are miserable. They suffer from poor diet, lack of exercise, and lack of sleep.

Using a blade until it doesn't work doesn't require you to think. Rather, I think it's as simple as changing the blade after each use.
Poor diet, lack of exercise and sleep? Yeah...that's like...Tuesday for me.

And yet I remain adamant in my stance of not trading my miserable 1st world life with someone in Sri Lanka.

I'd just a as soon stay put.

I honestly dont know how people use blades for more than 4-5 uses.. they must have very fair hair and not much of it!!!

I get 2-3 good shaves from a blade by 4-5 its like shaving with sandpaper

I don't know, I'm still getting weepers from the "excessive sharpness" of blades at six shaves and have to be pretty careful. Much prefer them around ten or twelve, when they get comfortable.

Top Bottom