What's new

Is honing as Zen as it looks?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It's a completely zen experience. Unfortunately, my practice of zen includes cursing and screaming.

I love honing, to me its when the razor comes to life and starts to show its personality. Zombie razors are my favorite :thumbup1:

Taking a piece of metal from dull to shaving sharp ranks right up there with catching a fish on a fly you tied. Both experiences are sublime.

It can be very zen and relaxing. The first time I honed it was outside, at a picnic table in my back yard. The table was made of large, thick cedar planks .
I sat next to the creek, feeling the morning sun filter through the trees onto my shoulders as I put a new bevel and shaving edge on my very own Gold Dollar for the first time. The creek sang me a quiet little song, which was sometimes interrupted by bicyclists passing by on the road across the creek.
That's probably one of the most zen moments I've had all year.

You are starting to hone. Here's the advice I wished had been given to me when I started. Or, more likely, the advice that was given that I didn't comprehend...

When I started honing, there was so much talk about setting the bevel on the 1K that I focused on the 1K too much. And, I wasted many hours!

In my opinion, the 1K hone is not the best hone for setting the bevel. It is the best hone for finishing the setting of the bevel. In my opinion, usually you should set the bevel, create the bevel shape, on a coarser hone and a very flat hone. I use the DMT 220, 325, and 600. (I might not start on the 220. It depends on how much reconstruction is needed.)

The DMTs are for roughing in the shape of the statue. The 1K hone is for the fine work, giving definition to the face and features. (Forgive the analogy.)

That is why I believe the 1K hone is best for finishing the setting of the bevel.

When I started, I might spend an hour on the 1K. Or, more! Now, I average just a few minutes on the 1K. When you use a sequence of DMTs (or equivalent), you move up thru them in an efficient way, not spending much time on any of the hones.

There are many ways to hone. I believe I use DMTs more aggressively than most. Some use the 1K more than I do. You have to find your own way. There is no such thing as wrong if the edge shaves!

I've been following this advice recently and it's worked pretty well. When the straight needs the bevel setting from scratch, I've been using my DTM 325 to start with and it's certainly cut down on the time spent on the 1k hone.

I've honed 11 straights this weekend and enjoyed doing each one.

I find the act of honing annoying at times(I am very impatient), but the end result usually makes me happy.

It is not often I do work where I actually get to see/experience the results of my labor.

Top Bottom