What's new

Is Gillette Finally Getting It?

I totally agree. But I was able to get 14 shaves out of a blade, so that does bring the cost of the blade per shave down a little.

It lasts a bit longer than the normal ones I use (Dorco ST-300, Shark Stainless) but it is a little more pricy, that said it is still mostly reasonably priced considering the prices of Walgreens blades. Studio 35 are about $5 for 10 by me and after trying them they don't give much of a cut (I'll burn through them after I finish my first platinum) and the VDH (while I LOVE their shave soap, boar brush and shave butter) their blades are $5 for five and I heard they aren't even that good. (If I were to get them, I'll get them at Wal-Mart for cheaper...) If only they were available on Amazon. I only see the Russian version on there...

Just saw these today at my Hy-Vee. Was a little shocked and pleasantly surprised. They were charging $2.99 for a 3-pack where I'm at

Just saw these today at my Hy-Vee. Was a little shocked and pleasantly surprised. They were charging $2.99 for a 3-pack where I'm at

At a buck a blade, you can get better (IMO) NOS blades from Gillette and Schick at a cheaper pricepoint on the 'bay, and you can certainly get modern blades that are as good at a far cheaper pricepoint from many vendors.

Namely the modern Gillette Platinum made in Russia or the NOS Gillette Platinum Plus made in US/France/UK will be better blades at the same price, or comparable blades at a lower price. Cheers

Hi everyoneI have been following this thread and thought I'dput my two cents in, I agree that is good to buy locallywhen the market forces allow it to make sense, what's missing from the conversation the idosyncrssy of a lot of wet shavers take me for instance I will not tolerate an aging blade two shavesOf three day growth twice. A week and I toss it there a lot guys on this forum with lifetime supply of blades stockpiled and it makessense when two multi national Corp. Control almost half the market think back what blades cost just three years ago the blades like areall modern and I have lifetime supply cost me $390.00 usdall my favorites GSB , POLSILVER SI, NACET , 7o'clock BLACK ,7o'clockYELLOW, RAPIRA PLATINUM LUX, 7o'clock permasharp I Will leave blades to my grandson my stockpile will outlast me not once hav I paidmore than 18 cents a blade the corporation can create a scheme where all can get are cartridge price blades this mind set I have is alot more commonin the DE world than you think, however I only buy blades and coffee online egverything else I buy locally please forgive me for writing such a long winded post

Last edited:
The gillette silvers from brazil? Walgreens used to carry them here up until last month but now they're nowhere to be found. They weren't spectacular and the price was too high anyway. I remember that Walgreens raised the price even higher before they disappeared. God knows what gillette's idea was from the start.

I became intrigued by these blades after reading through this thread:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/499015-Interesting-sight-in-the-supermarket-today
and this thread:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/493374-Interesting-local-find

I bought a package of 9 blades from Walgreens for $6.99. Yes, the per-blade cost is absurd, but life is an adventure, so I ponied up the money.

Following my usual practice, I did a side-by-side test: I loaded a Brazilian Gillette Platinum-Plus into a Fatip and a Russian Gillette Platinum into an identical Fatip. I did not know which was which until after the shave.

Much to my surprise, the Brazilian blade was noticeably smoother and sharper (albeit only slightly). Is it worth $0.78 per blade? Of course not, but if I can find them for under $0.50, I will buy a couple dozen.

I bought a package of 9 blades from Walgreens for $6.99. Yes, the per-blade cost is absurd, but life is an adventure, so I ponied up the money.

Just spotted them at a K Mart, 9 blades for $4.29. Everything at Walgreens is jacked up in price.

$gpp.jpg

I firmly believe that the market share of DE shavers is a mere blip on Gillette's books and does little or nothing to drive its business approach. They are more likely concerned with the beard trend. I can't say for sure why they slapped their name on these blades or what motivated Gillette to produce them.

What percentage of shavers in the US use DE blades if you had to hazard a guess?

Last edited:
I firmly believe that the market share of DE shavers is a mere blip on Gillette's books and does little or nothing to drive its business approach. They are more likely concerned with the beard trend. I can't say for sure why they slapped their name on these blades or what motivated Gillette to produce them.

What percentage of shavers in the US use DE blades if you had to hazard a guess?

I can't answer that question but ever since the Micro Touch One commercials, I have noticed DE razors and blades (not just these Gillette ones) in stores that previously did not carry DE products before. Usually DE blades in stores were the "store-brand" made by either Personna or Dorco, now Gillette has distributed their Brazilian Platinum Plus, so they may recognize that there is a market for DE products, although it may be a small community.

I can't answer that question but ever since the Micro Touch One commercials, I have noticed DE razors and blades (not just these Gillette ones) in stores that previously did not carry DE products before. Usually DE blades in stores were the "store-brand" made by either Personna or Dorco, now Gillette has distributed their Brazilian Platinum Plus, so they may recognize that there is a market for DE products, although it may be a small community.

I also have noticed an uptick without a doubt. Even if it is just two percent, that translates to big money for a giant corporation like Gillette.

Naturally, my figures are arbitrary. Could be completely off.

Last edited:
I've used every locally available double edge razor blade, which means that I've tried the horrendous Merkurs from Target and the Family Dollar/Dollar General blades, which were pretty good store-branded Israeli Personnas and now are crappy store-branded Dorcos.

I also haven't even looked for DE blades in any local B&Ms in about a year or so being that their selection hasn't changed in the last 3 years as far as I've noticed. I haven't been to Hyvee yet, but I we don't shop there as the closest Hyvee is about 10 miles away. I also live within walking distance of the Art of Shaving, but they only have two or three different DE options that cost over $1 per blade, which would be acceptable for trying blades except I don't want to give up a limb to try blades I've already tried or are not-as-good versions of what I currently have.

I realize it's a bit of a niche market and that it's not possible to proselytize all of the 5 blade sheep, but I'd definitely be willing to pay double for what I currently use if there was a somewhat local B&M that had a decent selection and I'm sure most others would too.

It's another one of those million dollar ideas I've had that someone will eventually cash in on and make me reminisce about how I dreamed of doing the same thing. If only I had that entrepreneurial spirit (and money).

Last edited:

Less than 0,1% (and I am being VERY optimistic here).

According to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States

there are around 120.000.000 adult men out of which I guess the 20.000.000 don't even bother to shave with this beard craziness around us.....

So we are talking about 100.000 people (again this is a very optimistic number) ,I don't think that these will reverse the shaving trend any day soon....

Top Bottom