What's new

Is Gillette Finally Getting It?

Less than 0,1% (and I am being VERY optimistic here).

According to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States

there are around 120.000.000 adult men out of which I guess the 20.000.000 don't even bother to shave with this beard craziness around us.....

So we are talking about 100.000 people (again this is a very optimistic number) ,I don't think that these will reverse the shaving trend any day soon....

Not anytime soon. :001_smile

Found in a Walgreens in San Francisco. Well hidden in the shaving section...no "official" tag/description. Only two left, and it was positioned to the side and almost completely out of view. I had a friend look for me - thankfully she was persistent!

"Made in Brazil" - interesting. I would have assumed NOS except the date is 2015. Collectively we checked 4 other Walgreens, all with no sign of the blades.

Is Gillette testing these in advance of the release of their supposedly new DE razor at the AOS stores in Spring?

I'll give one of these blades a go and let you know how it shaves.

Todd

View attachment 635683View attachment 635684

I picked up the LAST 2 packs of these at the walgreens in lovely park ave Worcester. what was interesting is that they were 3.79 for the "9 pack" on clearance - I got the last 2 of them.. so wonder why walgreens gave up? or is the slot going to have something else?

probably asked already are they different than the platinum blue packs?

I will be trying them on my fat boy (when it arrives)

I just order 100 or so at a time from Russia (or elsewhere) and don't have to worry about the retailers being out or switching brands on me. Even with shipping some of these very good blades (Voshkod, Rapira, I-Red) are dirt cheap. The only down side is shipping time. Planning solves that issue.

Noticed Walgreens had VDH, Gillette, and house brand DE blades last week. Don't recall the prices, but seems they were "reasonable".

I just order 100 or so at a time from Russia (or elsewhere) and don't have to worry about the retailers being out or switching brands on me. Even with shipping some of these very good blades (Voshkod, Rapira, I-Red) are dirt cheap. The only down side is shipping time. Planning solves that issue.
Of course - I order blades on line 99 percent of the time - and have of course orderd the 100 Russian blades for 11 bucks. [ I think I have enuff blades for about 4 years (and for the zombie apocalypse could stretch them out for about 10 years)

These Gillette platinums from brazil seem kinda rare - I never found them online ( at least never searched ) I was getting my monthly drugs this morning and bought these on a whim - found the packaging interesting - 7 bucks - what the hell its only money

I picked up the LAST 2 packs of these at the walgreens in lovely park ave Worcester. what was interesting is that they were 3.79 for the "9 pack" on clearance - I got the last 2 of them.. so wonder why walgreens gave up? or is the slot going to have something else?

I saw them on clearance too while I was in Walgreens looking at half priced gift sets of fragrances. Saw the blades marked down and bought the last two packs there and wondered the same thing, were they being discontinued? Couple of other shaving products were marked for clearance too...Dove Men + Care shave cream and post shave balm.

As for the Gillette Platinum-Plus, I will be starting the new year with one loaded for a shave.

I saw them on clearance too while I was in Walgreens looking at half priced gift sets of fragrances. Saw the blades marked down and bought the last two packs there and wondered the same thing, were they being discontinued? Couple of other shaving products were marked for clearance too...Dove Men + Care shave cream and post shave balm.

As for the Gillette Platinum-Plus, I will be starting the new year with one loaded for a shave.

haha. just like me, the last 2 packs, very weird they contain 3 packs of 3 blades.. i finally pulled the trigger on a 1959 fat boy in restored great condition, these blades will find a home in the fat boy... kinda sad brick and morter stores are giving up on de blades, buy i guess the web is prolly killin them.

I've seen these at my Local Giant grocery store... I don't recall the price, but what you guys were quoting sounds about right. somewhere between 2 and 3 dollars for 3 blades... ridiculous.

Ah... Yeah, I tried searching google, but all I was coming up with was some crappy electric shaver, and of course the bajillion different hair clippers they make.

Well ya know what they say, you gotta start SOMEWHERE. Are these actually being sold IN store, or just online? Because apparently the website seems to operate almost like Amazon to an extent, in addition to showing you what the actual stores carry.

To me, though, this is awesome. It's a very good sign that these things are gaining in popularity enough for a big company like Wal Mart to take notice and try to cash in, so hopefully that means we'll start seeing more of this kinda stuff elsewhere too.

Just a quick thought... if we all buy our razors online than the big box stores will never carry a good selection
Why clog up the shelves with stuff no one will buy. Just my 2 cents.

Just a quick thought... if we all buy our razors online than the big box stores will never carry a good selection
Why clog up the shelves with stuff no one will buy. Just my 2 cents.

The problem WalMart will run into, is after the curious, ,
shoppers first purchase and eventual conversion to,,
DE Shaving , WalMart would not be willing to sell bulk,,
Quantity of say GSBs at 100/$14.25 and that includes, ,
shipping from NYC by a very safe and reliable Ebay seller, ,
or Platinum Lux at $10.50/100 Shipped from a top Ebay, ,
seller from Russia , EBay and PayPal both guaranty the,,
delivery. ..So if WalMart wants to keep that Customer it's, ,
gonna be some-what tricky. ..

Wahl - Walmart: String really off track, but thought I'd rub in the Canada thing with the Wahl traditional barber kit. Bought it because I'm addicted and was surprised the China knock off of Merkur was decent. Walmart Canada won't ship to the US, which is a bummer. The package is great for newbs and has 'decent' stuff, for the price. Was amazed by the shave with a decent blade - a bit aggressive, but not bad.

Top Bottom