What's new

Is a straight better than a DE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidneykidney

Ordinarily I might just read this forum, but this discussion has prompted me to register so that I can comment.

It seems to me one thing for different conflicting advice to be given, but as I hear it, Mike Ratliff has been given a lifetime ban for disagreeing with Joel. Is this correct? Is there something here I have not been told?

It seems a shame on an adult forum that a ban for something such as that would be seen to be necessary.

But oh well, I guess thats me banned, huh? :blush:

In my opinion a straight razor is better then a DE. I find that a straight razor will shave closer. Even going WTG with a straight is closer then a DE going XTG. Its also a hell of alot more fun too(after you've become good at it). Because the lather isn't wiped off by the safety bar before the blade cuts it a straight blade also has less irritation. Only downside is shaving in some areas is a bit harder ie going XTG on the neck. However, i wouldn't recommend it to someone comming off a Mach 3.

I think its fair to say that most folks who have successfully switched to a straight say its "better", but that's because they were able to make the move to the striaight in the first place.

My experience (both personal and based on the experience of others) is that it takes at least a month of straight shaving virtually every day to get to the point where you get decent (let alone BBS) shaves and there's often some bumps in the road along te way.

What someone considering moving to a straight needs to understand is that there is a learning curve involved and that a certain amount of time and effort is required to obtain good results from a straight.

My personal experience is that I get BBS shaves from both a DE and straight, the straight shave lasts longer, but also takes more time.

Again, no such thing as "best" its about what's best for you.

Ordinarily I might just read this forum, but this discussion has prompted me to register so that I can comment.

It seems to me one thing for different conflicting advice to be given, but as I hear it, Mike Ratliff has been given a lifetime ban for disagreeing with Joel. Is this correct? Is there something here I have not been told?

It seems a shame on an adult forum that a ban for something such as that would be seen to be necessary.

But oh well, I guess thats me banned, huh? :blush:
Reality check time.

Mike was given a lifetime ban for his behavior, the fact that he reregistered instead of simply leaving, at least for me is confirmation. Was the ban premature? Maybe, it's not for me to judge without knowing all the facts, but that's a discussion we could've had if he hadn't forced the issue by reregistering and trying to skirt the rules in place.

It seems a shame that adults feel the need to join a community, not to participate, but with the intent of being banned. That aside, you're still welcome to participate here. :smile:

There's been a little bit of a funk in this section lately, it ends now. Off-topic attacks or arguments will be weeded out, or, if that's too difficult, threads will be closed or deleted. The mods are discussing what to do with the various messes in this section. Given our success, it's not abnormal to experience growing pains on occasion, thank you for your patience in this matter gentlemen.

OldFashioned: I apologize for the thread closure, if you'd like further discussion on this topic, please feel free to restart a new thread, and I promise it will not be allowed to go off track.

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom